Jayden Okunbor

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i would have him over DWZ, handling and defense no worse which in itself is pretty depressing but offers more as a ball runner

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He actually spent some time in the front row in the last year before he made the step up to first grade. I reckon he could be our version kikau though if we play him in the back row. He can bust a tackle and would finally give us some impact. I actually thought he was excellent at the back end of last year when he came back from suspension. He seemed to have removed those basic errors out of his game that had previously hampered his development.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the 20s Ockunbor, after not learning to tackle in the outside backs, he was played in the front row and bacck row - he made yardagebut still wouldnt tackle with his shoulders n body - arms and fingers were about it. So they moved him to the wing

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We could use his physical strength right now digging our way out of our own end.
But honestly, what else does he offer?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
wait and see when he returns from injury maybe he doesn't make it in FG at all? although given the present cattle the bar is not set high :laughing: ..
but a prop in waiting he is not second row maybe..

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched a game a few years back where Okunbor absolutely killed it in the backrow. It was against the dragons and all the hype was about Tristan Sailor but Okunbor was the star of the day . Every time he touched the ball something would happen.... like a line break or he would offload and set up his outside men.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same here, we need him to do so too.That's why forget transitioning him for now let him come back play wing where there is a spot free(as i dont think Meaney cuts it)and go from there.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only played first grade due to the Dib and Des cap fiasco...but he’s not Robinson Crusoe there

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like half of the current spuds in our team
only half......you are being generous. apart from Jackson over 60 tackles yesterday who else in the pack can effectively tackle with their shoulders. We have to many shirt grabbers.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We could use his physical strength right now digging our way out of our own end.
But honestly, what else does he offer?
Yep Sparty we are all grasping at straws. Sorry about the negativity but I was disgusted yesterday. I can't see any way forward. Just like last year, shuffling the desk chairs is'nt going to help. We haven't got cattle we have calfs.....

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wing not happening - complete waste of time as we have JAC, Cotric and DWZ.

He came through in the backrow and as someone said his D was a bit suss. Defence is an attitude thing and can be worked on.

At the end of the day, our current spuds upfront are hopeless in defence and are unfit and this all comes down to Ferris & Baz
Fuck he's way better than the current DWZ ,
he couldn't catch a cold!

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
196cm and 108kg the kid has numbers to play in the front row.

We all know Jake attracts 3 defenders everytime he carts the ball out.

He has the turning circle of a b-double and his lateral movement is quiet poor.

Definitely not suited on the wing especially when we have JAC coming over and Cotric as well.

Kid is a handful and Baz should start the transition of him into a prop.
Except he is a pussy.
Other than running over the top of Cam Smith in one game what's he done?
He makes no post contact meters for his size.

He needs huge improvement.
Currently way to weak to play in the middle.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Except he is a pussy.

He makes no post contact metres? Bro, are you okay? Literally topped them every week he played haha.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Except he is a pussy.

How does he make no post contact metres? Wtf? The bloke can make line breaks and break tackles. Other than cotric, the others in our backline can’t

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definitely have him in the forwards. He seemed to like defending in the middle on the night at Brookvale that he kept going AWOL from his wing and Reuben Garrick was scoring tries untouched.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep Sparty we are all grasping at straws. Sorry about the negativity but I was disgusted yesterday. I can't see any way forward. Just like last year, shuffling the desk chairs is'nt going to help. We haven't got cattle we have calfs.....
Is what it is unfortunately. I dont even think we can be the Broncos. Anyways, we recruited Thomo, Cotric, Flano and Allan which is a beginnings. We'll just have to wait (cause thats all we ever seem to do) for years end to rid more dead wood and recruit better replacements. Hopefully in the mean time we witness some good games. Frustrating but we are only at the beginning of this rebuild and I just have to remind myself to be patient.