Opinion Jake Averillo

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's right he's not a natural 7, he's a natural running 6 or Fullback. By the way cooper Cronk was not a natural 7 either.
Yeah Cronk and Hughes had their share of struggles. It took them a year or two to look comfortable as they both weren’t natural 7’s and that’s behind a good pack, one of the best fullbacks (Slater) and undoubtedly the best player in the game (C.Smith) / Bellamy guiding them.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's a centre or winger sorry. His ONLY attribute is his side-step and speed. His kicks and passing game aren't first grade standard for a half. Yesterday he threw up a pass to no-one which was caught on the full by one of the Tigers. His kicks weren't high enough or in the right position. He doesn't take on the line enough either. He needs other halves to be feeding him good ball out wide then get one-on-one with a defender. He's a finisher, not a creator.
100% big bulking diet and make him a centre

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Averillo cops way too much criticism considering he's been playing halfback all season when he clearly isn't one. He's shown glimpses of talent and has improved in a lot of areas.. The problem is we still don't know what his best position is. BBO should start ahead of him in the halves.

Next year ideally he's our bench utility that floats around and runs off a much improved attacking team when the opposition is tired.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Averillo cops way too much criticism considering he's been playing halfback all season when he clearly isn't one. He's shown glimpses of talent and has improved in a lot of areas.. The problem is we still don't know what his best position is. BBO should start ahead of him in the halves.

Next year ideally he's our bench utility that floats around and runs off a much improved attacking team when the opposition is tired.
Yeah all year! Everyone gives Flanagan shit but let’s remember he only played 9-10 games. I don’t like Flanagan that’s not what I’m saying but, Averillo has made zero improvements. Yes he’s a good runner and beat players but as a 7 he fails to try and control the game and his kicks look like they come from James Graham. Kick and hope. No purpose and always down the fullbacks throat. He doesn’t do us any favours especially when we are such a weak side and getting bashed in our 40m

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah all year! Everyone gives Flanagan shit but let’s remember he only played 9-10 games. I don’t like Flanagan that’s not what I’m saying but, Averillo has made zero improvements. Yes he’s a good runner and beat players but as a 7 he fails to try and control the game and his kicks look like they come from James Graham. Kick and hope. No purpose and always down the fullbacks throat. He doesn’t do us any favours especially when we are such a weak side and getting bashed in our 40m
But he's not a halfback. He's a runner. It's crazy that he's had to kick and organise so much when that's not his game at all.

Next year Averillo is probably a bench player for us who'll look way better floating around running off Burton, TPJ and surrounded by all of that pace. He and BBO will score a fair few tries next year as support players.

yearofthedogs2018

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Averillo’s off the bench next year, who takes conversions when he’s off the field? Assuming Burton & BBO are our halves, is Burton a good goal kicker?

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to lay off him ffs. His 20 years old still learning the game. Had no pre season training at halfback. Give him a chance with better players and a full pre season training at halfback under his belt.
I think the attacks are more aimed at the coach who continues to pick him out of position. The sad truth is that he is a player of potential he just isn’t as half . This is evidenced that he and Flanno have the same amount of try assists and Avo has played heaps more games this season. We have all been unimpressed with what Flanno has contributed but seem to be prepared to spare Avo the same grief. Their is only about 12-18 months in terms of their age group. As I said earlier , he clearly isn’t working out in the halves. Let’s move him to a position where we can maximise his running game. Full back or centre.

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But he's not a halfback. He's a runner. It's crazy that he's had to kick and organise so much when that's not his game at all.

Next year Averillo is probably a bench player for us who'll look way better floating around running off Burton, TPJ and surrounded by all of that pace. He and BBO will score a fair few tries next year as support players.
I agree with what you’re saying. But there is an article that went around saying he wants the half spot long term? You put that out there you’re going to cop Criticism when you don’t perform. The article is on TK somewhere also

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with what you’re saying. But there is an article that went around saying he wants the half spot long term? You put that out there you’re going to cop Criticism when you don’t perform. The article is on TK somewhere also
Yeah but every player wants to start and has goals however unlikely they are. I wouldn't hold those comments against him.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’ve read everyone’s comments in this thread and there’s no right or wrong answer, in fact a strong argument can be made (for or against Jake staying/not staying in the halves)

My 5c is that he’s been thrown to the wolves with responsibility of chief playmaker considering he has so much development needed to his game.

Playing halfback isn’t easy at any level let alone at NRL elite level let alone for a team running dead last with some players already checked out’.

I’ve been highly critical of him all season but out of the halves available he’s the most suited to partner Burton next year because he’s played all season in the halves so has now gotten the experience.

I’m hoping another full pre season training in the halves and more importantly with a better roster/pack and having Gus in his ear will bring out the best in him.

Not every highly touted half comes out the gate and kills it, some take far longer to develop.

Stip back his responsibilities next year and play to his strengths will see us get more consistent value out of the kid.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo fullback Dufty 14. We keep our goal kicker on the field , avoid Duftys defence problems, and Dufty against tired legs coming off the bench will inevitably lead to points

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve read everyone’s comments in this thread and there’s no right or wrong answer, in fact a strong argument can be made (for or against Jake staying/not staying in the halves)

My 5c is that he’s been thrown to the wolves with responsibility of chief playmaker considering he has so much development needed to his game.

Playing halfback isn’t easy at any level let alone at NRL elite level let alone for a team running dead last with some players already checked out’.

I’ve been highly critical of him all season but out of the halves available he’s the most suited to partner Burton next year because he’s played all season in the halves so has now gotten the experience.

I’m hoping another full pre season training in the halves and more importantly with a better roster/pack and having Gus in his ear will bring out the best in him.

Not every highly touted half comes out the gate and kills it, some take far longer to develop.

Stip back his responsibilities next year and play to his strengths will see us get more consistent value out of the kid.
You’re not wrong at all. But I think most of us here are really frustrated with his poor 5th tackle options, mainly his piss poor kicking. I mean he’s had over 20 weeks to kick to open field or find the turf. Just try keep us out of trouble or build pressure with repeat sets? I don’t know what happens at training so I can’t say too much. He needs to help the shit team we are. He’s the most likely.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He’s had to take in the burden of being the dominating half for what ever reason and he’s out of his depth doing that at this stage of career. I have no idea why Tbaz has persisted with for so long? Maybe he’s the best of a bad bunch.

He would really benefit from a year in and out of first grade playing as a running 5/8 focusing on his own game but he’s been thrown in the deep end trying to organise the entire attack. I hope this year doesn’t have a everlasting effect on his career and he can get back on track once so reinforcements arrive next year.
I can’t work out why the halves for 2021 are not settled as Lewis and Avo with Lewis being the kicker and creator and Avo the ball runner. Blind Freddy can see that is the best option we currently have if we’re chasing wins and taking pressure off Avo but looks like TB is persistent on Avo.

I can’t see Avo playing halves next year unless there’s no other alternative, he’s a centre for mine.
Gus is keen to help out Burton and only experience will provide this.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He shows glimpses of class,but at the moment lacks the skill set of first grade,look at walker at the roosters great kicking game attacks the line,reads a game beautifully,great cut out pass ,averilo needs another year,with some quality players around him,may improve,but not first grade at the present time.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeh burton at 7 and let’s be honest, who are we gonna get on the market that’s a half… who’s available, yes it would be nice to have an experienced half but let’s be realistic
The club has been handycapped by signing and putting their faith in the wrong players, we had foran wasting money for 3 years, and althought he contributed while on the field, he deprived of us getting someone else, As for Flanno the club would have been better off with him not getting on the field.