Jacob Loko charged with 'high range' DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is some good that can come from this if the club plays it's cards right.

Loko's career was completely shot prior to the Bulldogs offering him assistance. Too injury prone for any clubs liking, and looking like his NRL dream was over. The Bulldogs took him under their wing, and worked for like the last 6 months with him, getting him match fit and his knee right.

His hunger to play first grade for the Bulldogs would be MASSIVE.

Now adding fuel to the fire he's gone and been an idiot and done this. It's the old "One step forwards, two steps back" scenario.

He'll know he's let the club and his fellow players and his fans down. He will know his chances of making first grade (which he has trained his arse off over the last year for), would be slipping away even more.

To me, this just makes Loko hungrier.

For the club, their best move is simple: Take that hunger he has, get him the help he needs and the role models and nurturing he requires. Get some of our responsible blokes like Perrett, Stanley, Kas, TRex, and Pritchard to take Loko under their wing, and offer to carpool him.

Then when Loko is ready for debut, sit back, relax, and wait to be impressed. You don't want to be the player taking his first hitup.

Loko (at the moment) is packing about the same weight, and height, as TRex. :grinning:

For anyone doubting Loko, have a read of this article on him, to put things a little in perspective: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-down-from-lofty-heights-20110630-1gt4d.html
For once I agree with you lol. Might be because it's the first post I seen you not trying to defend Thompson lol. But in all seriousness loko defenetly deserves another chance. Russell packer was jailed and now is signed with another nrl club so to say loko deserves the sack is a bit far fetched when put into perspective.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not to mention that if this were Graham or Jackson or a player of that calibre, no one would be calling for a sacking.
This is the problem. Depending on the player both the supporters and the NRL have different standards and want different punishments.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read you wanted Reni sacked in various threads but in an earlier post you say we should give Loko another chance.

As others have said the NRL need to be the ones acting on this and need to have rules about how it’s dealt with.

If a players is low range you get suspended for “x” weeks. If your mid range “x” weeks. And no sob stories should be taken into account.

If it's a second offence you can't have a contract registered for "x" months. That way the NRL won't be seen to be favouring certain players or clubs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We could also say if this were some random NSW/Holden cup player from another club no one would be calling for a second chance either, like anyone who has ever mentioned the name Kirisome Auva'a.
That's a fair enough point, but if it were a gun 20's player, then the club might not let them go. Again, I'm not condoning or downplaying his actions, but I think most people deserve a second chance and would give Loko or any lower grade player the same benefit of the doubt. If they mess up again, then by all means, cut them loose.

Sometimes people can learn from their mistakes and prove people wrong and grow from certain incidents. Loko should be given a chance to prove he has grown from this and if anything else happened after this, then you'd know for sure that it wasn't a one off and he has no business at the club.

This is the problem. Depending on the player both the supporters and the NRL have different standards and want different punishments.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read you wanted Reni sacked in various threads but in an earlier post you say we should give Loko another chance.

As others have said the NRL need to be the ones acting on this and need to have rules about how it’s dealt with.

If a players is low range you get suspended for “x” weeks. If your mid range “x” weeks. And no sob stories should be taken into account.

If it's a second offence you can't have a contract registered for "x" months. That way the NRL won't be seen to be favouring certain players or clubs.
The difference is Reni has a rap sheet as long as my arm. So he had to go and I have no sympathy for him or anyone like him. If Loko had Reni, or Greg Bird's, or Robert Lui's history, or acted up again in any way, then I'd be the first to call for their release.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You got scums like Ferguson, wicks, packer, inglis, Louie, bird who all get given a second chances and these guys have been around alot longer and there offenses are far worse then this...nobody was hurt and he made a error in judgement so give him a fine, strip him of his license for a year and give him a chance to redeem himself and end of story let's move on!!

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Why give him a second chance? It was only luck that prevented himself or someone else getting injured or killed. It's not like he was careful or a "good drunk driver".

If it was Low Range I can understand, but this guy was off his face, that is not a mistake, that is a deliberate act that puts lives at risk. He gets no sympathy from me at all. I will not bag him out if he stays and plays for us but I am still pushing for his sacking.

And those saying that I would be saying different if it was a Morris or James - lose someone you know to a drunk driver first and then see how you would react to this.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Why give him a second chance? It was only luck that prevented himself or someone else getting injured or killed. It's not like he was careful or a "good drunk driver".

If it was Low Range I can understand, but this guy was off his face, that is not a mistake, that is a deliberate act that puts lives at risk. He gets no sympathy from me at all. I will not bag him out if he stays and plays for us but I am still pushing for his sacking.

And those saying that I would be saying different if it was a Morris or James - lose someone you know to a drunk driver first and then see how you would react to this.
I have mates that have killed or been killed while on the piss, one of the incidents was a high profile case in Sydney in recent years....what Loko has done is a mistake, you don't know a fraction of the full story and that is something that court and club will unlike you.

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you know he was 'off his face'? First of all yes he was Hugh range DUI, but different people have different tolerances for alcohol and what's high for some May not affect others in a different way and I'm not excusing his actions but no one has any idea about the facts other than his blood alcohol level.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
How do you know he was 'off his face'? First of all yes he was Hugh range DUI, but different people have different tolerances for alcohol and what's high for some May not affect others in a different way and I'm not excusing his actions but no one has any idea about the facts other than his blood alcohol level.
Driving without headlights and going high range would be a pretty good indication he was in no position to drive

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Well he was driving without his headlights on for a start, another action that risks lives, so if he wasn't off his face then I'll fly to the moon.

I just can't call this a mistake. A dropped ball in a football game is a mistake, he deliberately got into a car after a very heavy drinking session and tried to drive home despite the amount of information out there about how dangerous it is to drink and drive.

Sorry but that is and will remain my position on it.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He managed to get in a car, start it, drive out of a driveway, and drive for some distance without getting caught. If he had his lights on police may not have even noticed him and we wouldn't even be discussing it.

Sounds harsh but many here are letting personal agenda or experience get in the way of what should happen to Loko.

If he was to get sacked, I'd say our club has failed him, and I reckon he'd sign with south's straight away to replace Auava
And when he tears us a new one that's when the real bitching would start!!! You can bet that there are a handful of clubs willing the Bulldogs to take the easy way out. Before Loko got injured he out played Hayne in a couple of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
He managed to get in a car, start it, drive out of a driveway, and drive for some distance without getting caught. If he had his lights on police may not have even noticed him and we wouldn't even be discussing it.

Sounds harsh but many here are letting personal agenda or experience get in the way of what should happen to Loko.

If he was to get sacked, I'd say our club has failed him, and I reckon he'd sign with south's straight away to replace Auava
And if the police had not pulled him over he could have crashed and killed somebody. If he got in a cab then we also wouldn't be discussing it.

Actions have consequences, and in my opinion his actions should have very serious consequences. I understand people's opinion, but I also have mine on it.

As I said if the club decide not to sack him I will still cheer him as a Bulldog, but I will disagree with the decision

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Also I think the NRL should not allow another club to sign him up. They can refuse to register his contract for at least 12 months

N

Natboy

Yeah I agree with Mr I. I have seen numerous innocent people killed by drunk drivers but I see it this way.
The club have invested a lot of money and hundreds of hours of rehabilitation into Loko.
Whilst I have been very vocal in protecting the image of our great club I would prefer to see the club make an example of him by making him work his arse off, give a hell of a lot of time back to the community, complete the traffic offenders program that his lawyer should arrange prior to sentencing, counseling and make him hungrier than ever to give back to the club that gave him a chance.
We should be very successful this season and he will want to be a part of it
If we cut him another club will snap him up and take advantage of all of the time and money we have invested.

He was high range PCA, no doubt forgot to put his lights on, chances are if we had his lights on the cops wouldn't have even pulled him over & he would've got home safe and we wouldn't be having this discussion. We can do what-ifs all day but it won't help anything.
The court will go hard on him. All the club can do is be guided by that and penalise him in consultation with the NRL "integrity" unit. Is what he did worse than packer, Lui etc? No

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Clinging to hypotheticals has no merit as they don't stand up in a court of law!!! Loko will be trialed on pure fact and not what could have been. So let's be done with all the could have's, should have's, what if's and if's. At the end of the day you guys a flogging a hypothetical dead horse.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Clinging to hypotheticals has no merit as they don't stand up in a court of law!!! Loko will be trialed on pure fact and not what could have been. So let's be done with all the could have's, should have's, what if's and if's. At the end of the day you guys a flogging a hypothetical dead horse.
This is a discussion forum. The point is to discuss things. One of those things is what can possibly happen when someone gets behind the car drunk. Thankfully it didn't happen, but I don't think that is a reason to ignore it

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a discussion forum. The point is to discuss things. One of those things is what can possibly happen when someone gets behind the car drunk. Thankfully it didn't happen, but I don't think that is a reason to ignore it
Of course not because without the hypotheticals your argument is dead in the water along with your calls for Loko's sacking. How's that hypothetical dead horse looking? Starting to smell a bit now isn't it!!!

jo_95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course not because without the hypotheticals your argument is dead in the water along with your calls for Loko's sacking. How's that hypothetical dead horse looking? Starting to smell a bit now isn't it
Without hypotheticals you can still make a case to sack him. He did something that was illegal and fairly or unfairly has brought negative attention to the organisation. If the media backlash was sufficient (which it doesnt look like it will be) a club would sack a fringe first grader in a second. They are simply not worth the trouble.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Each case has to be case by case decision with regards to what we do with offending players because we simply don't know these guys. We don't know Loko as a person and if he's a DH or not OR if he's a stupid kid who stuffed up big time this once and is completely out of character. Why would we go to the trouble of assembling a team that can now win a GF only to let blokes go and be signed by the enemy. Why be the only club who can get to claim the "Mother Theresa" award at the end of year awards night but finish with a wooden spoon. We have to be smart and try and turn these blokes around, while benefiting from the RL abilities and making them good people. I wouldn't be sacking anyone unless they left me with no choice to do so and I hope this is how the club is looking at it. He will pay for his crime no doubt about it and lucky it didn't turn out worse so a little bit of rope to the kid and see what he does with it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As many have mentioned we have no idea about the circumstances that led to him driving, whether he was in the car alone or not would be my first question. If he had others in the car i would think there might be extenuating circumstances. Peer pressure is a BIG issue for young adults if they're not the brightest sparks in the match box and i would guess from the interviews i have seen from Loko that rocket science was not a career option for him.

I obviously only know as much about this as the rest of you here but I'll share a story about my nephew. When he was 21 he had no means of denying people what they asked for. He was and still is very susceptible to peer pressure. He was at his aunties 36th birthday and everyone in the house was fairly drunk. He was the only one there who had a car and a license. So when my sister started pestering him to make the 7 minute drive to Mcdonalds for a midnight snack he supposedly spent about an hour protesting. He was already low on points for low range speeding and told her he'd be screwed if he got caught. She insisted and played the "it's my birthday, don't make me sad on my birthday" card. And like he does whenever anyone applies the least amount of peer pressure or calls him a chicken he folded and made the stupid decision to do the food run. With a car full of drunks he set off and was pulled over shortly afterwards. He lost his license and a job that he loved at the time that was reliant on it. He doesn't drive his car to parties anymore though because he knows how easily peer pressure sways him. I hope that Loko is able to learn a similar lesson here.

The lack of headlights is easy enough to do. My old Corolla had headlights that could barely be seen under streetlights. The high beams were decent enough but on low beam they were useless in town. Both times i forgot my headlights were after driving out of well lit underground car parks.

I don't know Lokos circumstances but i would assume the club have not acted because they don't know the full story yet either. I like to think that Castle seems to have morals and will ensure that the Bulldogs will take the best course of action about this based on the facts.

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
Of course not because without the hypotheticals your argument is dead in the water along with your calls for Loko's sacking. How's that hypothetical dead horse looking? Starting to smell a bit now isn't it!!!

No dead horse for me. I am calling for a sacking based on his high range DUI not on the hypotheticals. But to ignore them as well makes light of the seriousness of his actions in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.