News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Just the fact that he's claiming $4 million due to "potential" earnings for the next 10 years at 400k a year, has me inclined to say this is BS. That he came to a realisation that he's just not good enough and is looking for a pay out.

He wasn't even a fringe first grader for us these past few years ( a bottom 4 club, where the majority of players we've released can't get an NRL contract), he was a pure reserve grader and was only called up when we had an injury crisis

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Also... Tyran Smith. We've had nothing but dramas with him and players he's got on his books.
Yep, Remis, Hoppa, DWZ... Chris Patalo also a client.
AFB Haas, Koloamatangi also in his stable. Really highlights why AFB wasn't an option to sign, Gus wiping his hands clean.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I mean, maybe?

Everyone has their views on this and that's all cool. Personally I don't see much the Dogs have done wrong but let's see?

I'm more intrigued why people are buffing with you on this as I don't see much wrong in what you're saying which is basically "Let's wait and see"

Weird.
The majority of people haven't made harsh personal comments towards Topine. They're just disappointed and surprised that he would go down this path and think that he doesn't have a strong case at all..

He's claiming a deprivation of liberty. You don't think that sounds a bit extreme? He's asking for $4 million when he was on 125k a year and was struggling to play FG for the worst team in the comp. You don't think that sounds excessive? He's claiming mental abuse for being asked to do a penalty at training when most players have done something similar as part of their training or they've all done as part of preseason training. You don't think the claim is over the top? Is it surprising that fans defend their club and express their opinion on the matter considering all of the above?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The majority of people haven't made harsh personal comments towards Topine. They're just disappointed and surprised that he would go down this path and think that he doesn't have a strong case at all..

He's claiming a deprivation of liberty. You don't think that sounds a bit extreme? He's asking for $4 million when he was on 125k a year and was struggling to play FG for the worst team in the comp. You don't think that sounds excessive? He's claiming mental abuse for being asked to do a penalty at training when most players have done something similar as part of their training or they've all done as part of preseason training. You don't think the claim is over the top? Is it surprising that fans defend their club and express their opinion on the matter considering all of the above?
Not saying people have been harsh towards Topine.

All I'm saying is that the centre if what @Doogie is saying is correct imo which is why I'm surprised he's stoked up so much feeling?

All he's saying is none of us really know anything. Which is correct.

And that it's best to wait till we get all the info. Which is also correct.

What I did say is I'm not on his side on this and I don't agree with everything he's saying. But, the basic points he's trying to make are fair. No?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not saying people have been harsh towards Topine.

All I'm saying is that the centre if what @Doogie is saying is correct imo which is why I'm surprised he's stoked up so much feeling?

All he's saying is none of us really know anything. Which is correct.

And that it's best to wait till we get all the info. Which is also correct.

What I did say is I'm not on his side on this and I don't agree with everything he's saying. But, the basic points he's trying to make are fair. No?
No one claims to know anything. In essence the premise is fine but this is a public case and there's such a thing as public opinion. Of course we're not deciding anything. Of course the issue has to be played out legally. But in any high profile case or incident, people are going to have their own opinions and have a right to express them.

The whole fanbase isn't going to sit silent for months on end while five new articles get released every day with more details and claims/quotes from either side..

The club should sit silent and not comment as they're the ones the claim is against.. Asking the fans to not take sides or express their opinion is unrealistic. Should we ask the media and 360 crew etc to not comment on it too? Should there be a society wide ban on even mentioning it?

Just like any high profile public case, of course it's going to be discussed publicly.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Explains a lot. Prick had an axe to grind. Does he also manage Big Gay Ray?

Edit: Looks like not. He only seems to manage Patolo from our current roster.
Should cut our losses with potato. His agent will be taking the dogs to court soon enough for not taking any care in his concussions

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No one claims to know anything. In essence the premise is fine but this is a public case and there's such a thing as public opinion. Of course we're not deciding anything. Of course the issue has to be played out legally. But in any high profile case or incident, people are going to have their own opinions and have a right to express them.

The whole fanbase isn't going to sit silent for months on end while five new articles get released every day with more details and claims/quotes from either side..

The club should sit silent and not comment as they're the ones the claim is against.. Asking the fans to not take sides or express their opinion is unrealistic. Should we ask the media and 360 crew etc to not comment on it too? Should there be a society wide ban on even mentioning it?

Just like any high profile public case, of course it's going to be discussed publicly.
I'm ok with everything you've said. Agree completely. .

How does it make any of what @Doogie said was wrong tho?

He's been quite adamant in his views. I asked for a clear clarification which I got, so I can only support what he's saying.

Just like I'm supporting you.

The basics of what he's said repeatedly is right. That's it.

It doesn't mean people shouldn't discuss this Topine thing. Of course we should, that's what being a supporter is.

But, I just question why people are laying into him, that's all. Because ... he's right.

Yes yes yes. I know what he's like and how he's impossible to stop when he's started.

Yes yes yes. I know that he pokes at people and gets reactions.

I get why people are stirred up by @Doogie

Doesn't mean he's wrong though, does it?

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Mate, I completely agree with everything you say.
The thing that concerns me is the legal system doesn't really use common sense when ruling one way or the other.

We have all heard about absurd legal cases like getting awarded millions for burning your mouth on hot coffee.

It would not suprise me at all if the dogs lost this case.
Nothing surprises me anymore.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Where do you reckon the deprivation of liberty claim comes from PD from what has been claimed so far?
It seems unlikely that the player knew anything about the term until some point after he was introduced to his current legal counsel.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It seems unlikely that the player knew anything about the term until some point after he was introduced to his current legal counsel.
True but wondering how they arrived at that determination in the legal sense of the charge?....kept back, with the other players, for an extra 4-10 minutes of wrestling (as widely stated)?

Can see his case being pulled apart and shredded by a good legal team if we are defending this accusation made against the club. Court case could go on for months and months before it is completed.

How can a person be deprived of their liberty in a football club environment? Below is the ruling regarding care facilities but...

"If the person has freely chosen and consented to their situation, then they have not given up any of their freedom. A deprivation of liberty only happens when someone lacks the ability to decide for themselves (known as 'mental capacity') where they will live and what care they will receive.3 Sept 2021"

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have all heard about absurd legal cases like getting awarded millions for burning your mouth on hot coffee.
Do you mean the Stella Liebeck case? You realise that is a largely myth yeah? At best it is badly misrepresented. I'm all for mocking the ridiculous levels of litigiousness in the US (what is it, 1 lawyer for every 6 adults in the population?), but sometimes the right lawsuit is warranted, and it is really hard to say that the Liebeck case wasn't. She was in hospital for 8 days, had several surgeries, and was in extreme pain. It took her two years to regain regular function, and she was permanently disfigured. She wasn't driving her own car, she was a passenger and the car was stationary, she was trying to take the lid off the cup to add sugar, and spilled the coffee, which at the time was served at near boiling temperature per McDonalds own policy.

She didn't sue for millions, she offered to settle for $20,000 (her medical bills and other costs). McDonalds refused to pay, and rumours were spread slandering her as chasing a frivolous lawsuit, which is why so many people have believed this myth ever since. It went to trial, and though the jury did find Liebeck partly responsible, they put most of the responsbility on McDonalds and awarded $2.7M in punitive damages (punishing McDonalds for being dicks). The judge watered that down to $640k. It is believed she ended up with $500k.

Learn more from these places:

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just the fact that he's claiming $4 million due to "potential" earnings for the next 10 years at 400k a year, has me inclined to say this is BS. That he came to a realisation that he's just not good enough and is looking for a pay out.

He wasn't even a fringe first grader for us these past few years ( a bottom 4 club, where the majority of players we've released can't get an NRL contract), he was a pure reserve grader and was only called up when we had an injury crisis
He was definitely a GOOD Reserve Grader, but through chance (or lack thereof), he didn't gain favour and stay in First Grade when given a chance. There have certainly been plodders in Frist Grade over recent years that gave far worse effort than Topine, but he still couldn't break through... for reasons we are likely never to know.

sifter6

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So it was possibly 24 x 10 sec sessions with guys. I mean how much deprivation of liberty is that?
He probably only lasts 10 seconds in the sack, hence he thought he was being gang-raped. I am surprised that allegation hasn't come out (COFFS).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate, I completely agree with everything you say.
The thing that concerns me is the legal system doesn't really use common sense when ruling one way or the other.

It would not suprise me at all if the dogs lost this case.
Nothing surprises me anymore.
You're right, nothing would surprise but you'd hope common sense would prevail and they'd see that it was nowhere near as bad as they're making it seem and wrestling sessions are a part of regular NRL training..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He probably only lasts 10 seconds in the sack, hence he thought he was being gang-raped. I am surprised that allegation hasn't come out (COFFS).
It has.
Headline: Most damning incident against CB Bulldogs since rape accusation in CH. (Words to that effect).