News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't enjoy an argument bro. Just happen to be good at it.
Only in your mind pal lol. You’re the worst but you’re so delusional you actually think you’re good. Jokes on you as can be seen by all the reasonable users that disagree. You have the shittest takes but are so headstrong you think you’re this enlightened thinker.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The timing is impeccable how we are finally playing winning footy and on the brink of the top 8 and BAM front page story from Buzz and co to try destabilise our club!
Eh, better to happen during the bye imo. No potential for it to disrupt the team on game day. Either way this was a probability we saw coming months ago. Unfortunate for all parties tbh.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also, just to reiterate, most, if not all the legal claims by Topine’s counsel could easily be claimed by ANY player. NRL training by it’s very nature is physical abuse tbh. But they sign up for it, that’s the thing and what’s written in their contracts regarding this, will be interesting.

The only time it would go over the line is when an unexpected form of physical or mental abuse is dished out. That’s not to say either are ok, but that certain forms are expected as punishment, but from the ones we’ve seen mentioned, the only one that sticks out to me is running a gauntlet naked. What Topine allegedly suffered doesn’t sound like extraordinary and (we know) not unique punishment (just for him). Even running the gauntlet naked, wouldn’t be as bad for footy players as most, as they’d be used to showering and being naked around each other in the sheds.

The crux of this case though, is the fact that it would be impossible to know just how each individual will react to certain situations. As others have said, whether or not Topine had issues before this and if the club were aware of them, will be very important. If not, who’s to know if any player will “crack” from being instructed to do a certain task?!

As long as it’s within safe limits, I find it hard to see this being a legitimate case, otherwise a LOT of training methods will have to be discontinued.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I want to mention re: this idea of “piling on” the mentally ill. To me it’s completely irrelevant horseshit. If you knew me, you would know how much I empathise with anyone who suffers, BUT, two things…

1) We only know of vague claims of mental illness, nothing concrete, and..

2) (this is the most important part) we are faceless, nameless people talking shit on a footy forum. Discussing it on a forum that is NOT COMPULSORY READING for everyone, is worlds apart from saying this to sufferers directly or even posting where they’re likely to see it. It simply isn’t. No footy player with any sense would browse their club’s fan forum!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone with more knowledge on the subject explain mental health issues for me please ..

I know it’s a real issue and it’s a serious one, I personally know people who suffer from it, but the people I know have suffered from it over long periods of time.

From what I understand, it‘s generally in the form of either bouts of deep depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, anxiety and in sever situations (generally life and death) PTSD …. unfortunately, as with most things, and I’m in no way suggesting that this young footy player is being dishonest here, but we all know there are those that will stoop to using any one of these afflictions if it’s convenient to a particular agenda at the time.

Can one incident suddenly trigger mental health issues, or is there generally a history / medical records, would they generally be on some form of medication ?

People I know that suffer these afflictions, have sort help and are responsibly trying to manage it .. I’ve never personally met anyone who was fine one day, and then seriously suffering from mental health issues the next, does this happen?

I suppose what I’m asking is, if one incident can trigger it, how is it diagnosed as suffering mental health issues and not just an emotion that someone is experiencing at the time .. if a girlfriend breaks up with you and you’re distraught about it, are you suffering mental health issues, if you’ve worked a job for 10 years that you’ve loved, and you get laid off and you’re sad about it, can you be said to be suffering mental health issues … what separates mental health issues to just different emotions and disappointments that people experience in everyday life.

Back in my day it was frowned upon to even mention the words Mental Health Issues, I’m happy that it’s now openly spoken about, and that as a society we’ve become more aware of these issues and the seriousness of it, which we all now know was well overdue, but within that growth and understanding I’d be interested in knowing what the levels of expertise are and how they diagnose that someone is legitimately suffering from mental health issues and not just experiencing normal everyday emotions and disappointments, where do they draw the line here ?

genuinely interested ..

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why does anyone pay out,? because it's cheaper then a prolonged court case especially if you're up against someone who probably doesn't have the means to pay for court costs if he loses. 10k would be an absolute bargain.
I think def this matter will be resolved out of court. And I think the club will end up having to pay him out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Can someone with more knowledge on the subject explain mental health issues for me please ..

I know it’s a real issue and it’s a serious one, I personally know people who suffer from it, but the people I know have suffered from it over long periods of time.

From what I understand, it‘s generally in the form of either bouts of deep depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, anxiety and in sever situations (generally life and death) PTSD …. unfortunately, as with most things, and I’m in no way suggesting that this young footy player is being dishonest here, but we all know there are those that will stoop to using any one of these afflictions if it’s convenient to a particular agenda at the time.

Can one incident suddenly trigger mental health issues, or is there generally a history / medical records, would they generally be on some form of medication ?

People I know that suffer these afflictions, have sort help and are responsibly trying to manage it .. I’ve never personally met anyone who was fine one day, and then seriously suffering from mental health issues the next, does this happen?

I suppose what I’m asking is, if one incident can trigger it, how is it diagnosed as suffering mental health issues and not just an emotion that someone is experiencing at the time .. if a girlfriend breaks up with you and you’re distraught about it, are you suffering mental health issues, if you’ve worked a job for 10 years that you’ve loved, and you get laid off and you’re sad about it, can you be said to be suffering mental health issues … what separates mental health issues to just different emotions and disappointments that people experience in everyday life.

Back in my day it was frowned upon to even mention the words Mental Health Issues, I’m happy that it’s now openly spoken about, and that as a society we’ve become more aware of these issues and the seriousness of it, which we all now know was well overdue, but within that growth and understanding I’d be interested in knowing what the levels of expertise are and how they diagnose that someone is legitimately suffering from mental health issues and not just experiencing normal everyday emotions and disappointments, where do they draw the line here ?

genuinely interested ..
Good point. We'd all be the better for understanding the difference or at least how it is diagnosed.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

genuinely interested ..
As someone who has been through issues at a former job. Had a dickhead trainee supervisor from another team spreading rumours that I was gay. Took a long while to work out why. But most of my mates in the job had been acting weird for a couple of months avoiding me. I'm intuitive enough to have recognised that, but not why. Eventually worked it out and submitted a formal complaint. They said they'd given him a formal warning. But the same day they promoted the turd to full supervisor.

A few weeks after that he and a bitch in lowest level of management that I'd had issues with (her demanding overtime, me expressing my rights not to do it with no notice and other commitments which wound up having another lower level manager intervening on my behalf berating her in front of me) had basically made a gay joke at my expense. Lost my shit about it punched a bubbler hard enough to put a half rock melon sized dint in the sheet metal case. Had been building over months ,(developed stress related IBS prior, had diarrhoea for months due to that, wasn't sleeping as anger kept me awake, anxiety attacks whenever I thought about it which was 7 days a week any time, felt paranoid that people laughing in public was at me though logically I knew it wasn't was basically unable to deal with the pent up anger) and having a supervisor and lower level manager making jokes at my expense was the last straw.

Wound up having three months off while I waited for counselling after saying something stupid. Learned anger management techniques and methods for getting the shit that was running on a loop out of my head through therapy. But mental health issues in my opinion tend to only get recognised when people actively seek help to deal with it. I'm not a professional by any means. But it's a seeping insidious thing. I tried to tough it out and think I did well going as long as I did. In hindsight I shouldn't have waited until the mental explosion I had. But you can deal with things right up until you can't.

So I can understand that a lot might have gone down before this for Topine. For all we know every error and missed tackle he made in a game we lost still haunts him. Fucked if I know. He could be faking. Fucked if I know.

But knowing the paranoia I felt at times when I had issues. Having every media source latch onto this, having half this forum denouncing him as a pussy, a faker etc. he's facing another mental test right now assuming there's truth to the mental health side of the story. Hope he's actually got his head right and learned some strategies to cope.

Last edited:

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Up to this point, 100% in agreement. Could not be moreso.
And good on you for saying so, despite it being seemingly "unfashionable" to do so. Well done. Seriously.

BUT, then this...

Hyperbole (at best), but more reasonably assessed as patently untrue; making s#!t up because of mistaken belief it somehow supports the preferred position.

Sorry, that's just a straight up critical fail.
And while it in no way invalidates the first position, it does explain: "So while the pile in on @Doogie..."
Did himself no favours and reaping the much deserved "benefits" of what he voluntarily sowed.
Ha. Didn't see that. Fair point

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Up to this point, 100% in agreement. Could not be moreso.
And good on you for saying so, despite it being seemingly "unfashionable" to do so. Well done. Seriously.

BUT, then this...

Hyperbole (at best), but more reasonably assessed as patently untrue; making s#!t up because of mistaken belief it somehow supports the preferred position.

Sorry, that's just a straight up critical fail.
And while it in no way invalidates the first position, it does explain: "So while the pile in on @Doogie..."
Did himself no favours and reaping the much deserved "benefits" of what he voluntarily sowed.
You deleted that post also @Doogie?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Many have screen shots :(
Club won't be impressed :(