News Jackson Topine takes Bulldogs to court

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Below average played when compared other players, at a different club I doubt he would have seen any game time.

We clearly don’t have a place for him and rather than give in I hope the club looks at its legal avenues because a payout doesn’t mean we are in the wrong, it just looks that way.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Probably because it's worse than having to wrestle your team mates after a wrestling session
The point Magnussan made is relevant. ...if you are totally spent after wrestling say 5 team mates each after 15? seconds....how much energy do you have...whats the worst that can happen after you are pinned down on the mat?

Jackson would hardly have offered any resistance...or token at the most....and his team mates would not have "bested" him in the situation either.

Frankly I'm so disappointed that he has put sheet on his team mates.

Incredibly badly handled by Jackson, his advisers, player manager and legal team.

No winners here bc the media will just crucify him when the media circus moves on.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you're under the misapprehension he has undergone some sort of life changing trauma. He didn't walk into the wrestling session wanting to be an NRL player and walk out unable to play ever again though. If you believe that, would you be Interested in buying my bridge that goes over the harbour ?
Nice to meet u Mr Bradfield

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok I'll try again. You can have an underlying problem which never sees the light of day until that moment. Fairly sure the parents of the kid that stabbed the Priest the other day realised their kid had a problem until the incident. Most don't put a sign up bro.

Now I'm not pretending I know the deets in any way, but Gus said mental health. The case is some outrageous shit but I'm still not putting crap on the kid if someone closer to it than me that I trust says there is an underlying problem. Nothing more. Nothing less.
I get the fact he may have had an undiagnosed or underlying problem, but how does that translate into a 4 million dollar lawsuit against the Bulldogs. In relation to Gus mentioning mental health, I'm sure he was against naming the player involved because he was concerned about his mental health, his management weren't that concerned nor was Buzz come to mention it.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. But thats mental health for you - people do things that other people just don't understand.

How is he destroying the Dogs? The money would come from insurance, every man and his dog currently supports the Dogs position. So he's doing this because its some sort of payback? ok.
There is a very good reason the majority support the clubs position, because regardless of wether he is currently suffering mental duress or not what he is doing is just plain wrong and shows a complete lack of personal accountability. And while it’s true that all 21 year olds make mistakes not all blame someone else for their mistakes.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
i don't see the link with a harder stance improving players, if thats automatically the case then the ultimate example of Uday Hussein running the iraq football team by torturing them should have been the best version of the iraq team, but in reality they achieved their best results as a team 4 years after they got liberated

if anything this is a tool to phase out some and then psychologically help the remaining players, like a form of scapegoating, they used to physically bring out a goat into the town and insult it, using it as a symbol for everything bad that happened and blame it, then they throw it off a cliff or get rid of it then everybody in the town feels better about being cleansed and feels stronger
I see what you mean, there's limits, and also tough love doesn't always reap rewards.

General practices in education systems and sports is more generalistic (if that's the word, I'm not sure what to use) but these team exercises are less personalised, individualised, sometimes there might be things like dieticians analysing per player their needs or a halves coach, etc, but these trainings are generally provided and conducted to get the common results that have consistently worked during time, some players at that level (and most at the earlier levels) fall through the net. They need different ways to improve and unfortunately the facilities aren't there for them or resources won't be allocated to that level of player. Eventually NRL would enforce some practices for the future for certain players emotional stress etc but Bulldogs might be ok here, we'd assume they tried looking after Topine afterwards but based on the activity it wasn't anything special or he wasn't "picked on harshly".

The whole thing is ugly and silly but lessons can be learned.

If the trainer was inexperienced or had some clear agenda or bias then yeah but to me some elements mentioned and the fact Trent Robinson came out saying some positive stuff about the trainer gave me some confidence this wasn't anything really out of the ordinary.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I get the fact he may have had an undiagnosed or underlying problem, but how does that translate into a 4 million dollar lawsuit against the Bulldogs. In relation to Gus mentioning mental health, I'm sure he was against naming the player involved because he was concerned about his mental health, his management weren't that concerned nor was Buzz come to mention it.
So this happened 10 months ago. What do you think has happened between now and then? Lots of talk in the background. Thats how it ends up in a $4M lawsuit.

And if Liam Knight had to get his hair dyed for being late (if true), then the kid has a very fair argument to say he was bullied out of a footy career.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I see what you mean, there's limits, and also tough love doesn't always reap rewards.

General practices in education systems and sports is more generalistic (if that's the word, I'm not sure what to use) but these team exercises are less personalised, individualised, sometimes there might be things like dieticians analysing per player their needs or a halves coach, etc, but these trainings are generally provided and conducted to get the common results that have consistently worked during time, some players at that level (and most at the earlier levels) fall through the net. They need different ways to improve and unfortunately the facilities aren't there for them or resources won't be allocated to that level of player. Eventually NRL would enforce some practices for the future for certain players emotional stress etc but Bulldogs might be ok here, we'd assume they tried looking after Topine afterwards but based on the activity it wasn't anything special or he wasn't "picked on harshly".

The whole thing is ugly and silly but lessons can be learned.

If the trainer was inexperienced or had some clear agenda or bias then yeah but to me some elements mentioned and the fact Trent Robinson came out saying some positive stuff about the trainer gave me some confidence this wasn't anything really out of the ordinary.
I can see this going away quickly. But there will be lasting ramifications from it

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow what a little bitch, imagine he had to play 80 mins straight in a regular NRL game (he wasn't good enough too anyway, plus now he will never play another minute), it is way more contact and physicality than 15 mins of training to wrestle lmao...

For a "professional" athlete wanting to chase the big dollars, he has failed big time and isn't cut for it period, he should fuck off and save what ever money he has the sleazy lawyer is going to drain him of before losing a court case

I also hope that he realises he has just ruined his professional sporting career and possible normal working life career because he now has baggage no one wants at their work place as an employer, working a normal job is way more taxing on you than playing 1 game a week for lots of money, especially with the type of work he could only get as a labourer with his mental capacity and lack of education compared to professionals who make the same amount as footy players (talking about average salaries of average walk in walk out professional, not a random who has gotten lucky and done well) lmao

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
There is a very good reason the majority support the clubs position, because regardless of wether he is currently suffering mental duress or not what he is doing is just plain wrong and shows a complete lack of personal accountability. And while it’s true that all 21 year olds make mistakes not all blame someone else for their mistakes.
So 21 year olds make mistakes, people under mental duress make mistakes but he needs to take personal accountability.

Good 4 you grandad. Been a long time since you were 21 - put your dentures back in and STFU :tearsofjoy:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So 21 year olds make mistakes, people under mental duress make mistakes but he needs to take personal accountability.

Good 4 you grandad. Been a long time since you were 21 - put your dentures back in and STFU :tearsofjoy:
Too hard to argue with? Ok doog back to your weetbix. :tongueclosed:

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ole mate goes against the correct popular opinion every single time with anything. There is something wrong with him. Most stubborn online user ever