Other News Source Jackson Hastings

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
NRL clubs target Hastings
Matthew Shaw June 14, 2020

Jackson Hastings is the subject of interest from two NRL clubs.

New Zealand Warriors and Canterbury Bulldogs are understood to have both expressed an interest in the reigning Man Of Steel, with the Warriors ready to offer him a deal.

The Wigan halfback has an NRL-clause in his contract that allows him to return to the competition next year should he wish to do so.

It appears he will have that opportunity, with the Warriors particularly keen to sign the 24-year-old for 2021 and it’s believed they have tabled an offer to the Wigan ace.

He has been primed as a replacement for the former Wigan halfback Blake Green. The veteran is off-contract at the end of the season and turns 34 in September. New Zealand international Kodi Nikorima is the Warriors’ other leading halfback.

It remains to be seen whether Hastings is keen on a move to New Zealand. While he has never made a secret of his desire to one day return to the NRL, living outside Australia may not be as appealing for him.

That’s where a move to Canterbury could be a greater attraction, though their interest does not appear to be as great as that of the Warriors.

While Lachlan Lewis is highly-rated at Belmore, their other two halfbacks, Kieran Foran and Jack Cogger, are both off-contract.

Foran has been riddled with injuries for a number of years and is on big money, leaving his future at the club in doubt.

Hastings does have another year on his Wigan deal and could well stay with the Super League giants in 2021.

Despite his desire to play NRL, he is also on record as stating that he is in no rush to return to the NRL and will only make the move when, and if, the right opportunity becomes available.

Wigan could be on the verge of a significant overhaul to their squad.

Both Thomas Leuluai and Sean O’Loughlin are off-contract and have been tipped to retire, tough O’Loughlin has suggested that he may play on next year. Ben Flower is set to join Toronto while Oliver Gildart has been linked with an NRL move after appointing leading Australian representative Sam Ayoub.

There is a release clause in Gildart’s contract if a club is prepared to make a move for him.

Joe Burgess is another high-profile player off-contract, as is Tony Clubb, while young forward Ethan Havard has attracted interest from NRL giants Melbourne Storm.

https://www.totalrl.com/nrl-clubs-target-hastings/

Malla

Reaction score
While Lachlan Lewis is highly-rated at Belmore, their other two halfbacks, Kieran Foran and Jack Cogger, are both off-contract.

Lachlan Lewis highly rated??? Ok

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I rate hastings. He would come back to the nrl cheap, and hungry for success.

Problem is we dont know whats happening with Wakeham or Foran and Lewis seems to have locked in a half position. Amd Averillo appears to be a long term half solution (possibly fullback)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I rate hastings. He would come back to the nrl cheap, and hungry for success.

Problem is we dont know whats happening with Wakeham or Foran and Lewis seems to have locked in a half position. Amd Averillo appears to be a long term half solution (possibly fullback)
This is why fucking around with Lewis is such a waste of time. He isn't good enough and never will be good enough, unfortunately we don't know if Wakeham is good enough because he has gotten absolutely no time at halfback. Club needs to hurry up and make a call on Pay and stop fucking around.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The last time I watched Hastings play for England in a test match, he did shit fuck all against a png side made up of largely Qcup players and lost. No thanks.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think Hastings is a genuine solution at halfback for us and we should go all out for him. If we were able to sign him I would let Cogger go and if Foran gets through the remainder of the season I would sign him at a greatly reduced incentive based contract. I would be looking to "shop" Lewis around or used in a swap deal as he is still on contract. That would leave us with Hastings, Foran and Wakeham as halves options. I see Averillo as a fullback for a couple of years with a move to five-eight down the track. I see similarities between Averillo and Jack Wighton and once Averillo puts on a bit more muscle I see him as a hard running ball playing threat at the back with a future move to the halves

Reactions: jof

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lachlan Lewis highly rated??? Ok
“Hes a good kid” dean pay lol

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t mind Hastings to be honest, he would be ready to come back an make an impact/statement to prove himself.. could do a lot worse anyway, so if we did get him then wouldn’t be disappointed..!!

obviously there is better, but just depends what will come cheap, maybe for a cheap return it’s not a bad call. But only if cheap.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The last time I watched Hastings play for England in a test match, he did shit fuck all against a png side made up of largely Qcup players and lost. No thanks.
I can't recall him being anything special when he was playing the NRL, although he was still young and had a lot of raps in him.

Being Man of Steel in the ESL doesn't really do anything for me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't recall him being anything special when he was playing the NRL, although he was still young and had a lot of raps in him.

Being Man of Steel in the ESL doesn't really do anything for me.
I agree and you would think he would be on significant money over in England so you would have to offer a pretty substantial deal to get him.

I'm not sure he is worth the risk.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
hastings is known for being on the nose with team mates. Not just at Manly either so its not a purchase I would chase personally.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
hastings is known for being on the nose with team mates. Not just at Manly either so its not a purchase I would chase personally.
Everyone knows that but so does Hastings (he said as much during the isolation break) and you'd hope with some time away from the NRL he's addressed this issue. I'm personally not the biggest fan of getting Hastings and I'd still rather Foran (until a top experienced contract half is available) and one of our younger halves. I guess for the right price you have to consider everyone but if the Warriors are interested it's probably not worth it. Also to me the Super League is a much inferior league so I don't weigh much into it (I haven't watched but Sezer is probably killing it/is going to kill it, that's just how it goes over there).

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This would be player #349 that we're rumoured to be interested in. The media really are having a field day linking the club to every player.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
won the man of steel with 36 try assists that season. Pretty impressive!