Official Jack Hetherington signs with the Knights on a 3 year-deal from 2023

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Definitely a good player under the right coach. The problem is we signed a few of this type of player without the right leadership. If we really haven’t signed a coach as yet and Gould is making these calls that worries me.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Parra reportedly offered 625k per year. 725k per year for Matterson would be nuts in my opinion.
700k would be as high as I'd go. We offered 750k for TPJ which when comparing is also nuts I guess. We got Mahoney as a steal, Eels have some weird recruitment strategy.

Last edited:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
700k would be as high as I'd go. We offered 750k for TPJ which when comparing is nuts I guess.
Outside of a quality 7. Matterson would be my number 1 target for next year as our 13.
I believe we could get him for under $700k with incentives as a sweetener on top.

The development of the 13 role in recent years has effectively made them a 5th spine option. Along with the rest of the spine we have. Our 13 is a big weak point.

It all depends on exactly where our cap is sitting for next year. Who if any of our unsigned 8 I believe? Get renewed.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Outside of a quality 7. Matterson would be my number 1 target for next year as our 13.
I believe we could get him for under $700k with incentives as a sweetener on top.

The development of the 13 role in recent years has effectively made them a 5th spine option. Along with the rest of the spine we have. Our 13 is a big weak point.

It all depends on exactly where our cap is sitting for next year. Who if any of our unsigned 8 I believe? Get renewed.
Matterson's been the second best ball playing lock this year behind Yeo. I wouldn't of picked him for origin still, but that's why he was selected. Out of the 8 players if we're keeping them it's going to be for minimum wage or very close to it (I'd keep Topine, Doorey and RFM). Matterson would be the only signing I'd make because I don't think we have much cap room for 2023, but hopefully enough for Matterson. For 2024 we go after a marque half and fullback. That's all we need to be competitive again imo.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matterson's been the second best ball playing lock this year behind Yeo. I wouldn't of picked him for origin still, but that's why he was selected. Out of the 8 players if we're keeping them it's going to be for minimum wage or very close to it (I'd keep Topine, Doorey and RFM). Matterson would be the only signing I'd make because I don't think we have much cap room for 2023, but hopefully enough for Matterson. For 2024 we go after a marque half and fullback. That's all we need to be competitive again imo.
Agree, I wouldn’t have picked Matterson for Origin either but he is around that level.
He would add the missing ball playing option to our middle.

His brother is also playing with Mounties. So hopefully Potter while he is still in and around the club might have had some dealings with Ryan.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
He added to our size, never got to see the best of him, bit premature, was developing a good offload, think his old man talked him into it, they gunna have a good pack.
We gotta buy some bulk.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus the quiet assassin, ruthlessly ignoring any emotion, including his own, to correct our bullshit roster. Pay and Barrett both recruited or re-signed players based purely on hope or FOMO, but not Gus. We're starting from the bottom but Gus is getting a lot of good things done.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus the quiet assassin, ruthlessly ignoring any emotion, including his own, to correct our bullshit roster. Pay and Barrett both recruited or re-signed players based purely on hope or FOMO, but not Gus. We're starting from the bottom but Gus is getting a lot of good things done.
Yep, Gus is slowly fixing the ridiculous recruitments we have made over the past years.

Paying overs for bog average players was I guess was both an indication of how much of an unattractive option we were but also a sign of mismanagement of the salary cap as well as no foresight into the future

Honestly, having a 3rd year option of reportedly $500000 for Hetherington, give me a break. He came to us a Penrith reject and showed no consistency or improvement with us over 2 years and if the old management were still in charge we probably would have activated that 3rd year and paid $500000 for him

Thank God Gus is in charge of our recruitment/salary cap now

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We shouldn't be as he didn't take up our option like JMK
Apart from him is there any chance we could sign a big bopper islander prop.
All the other teams seem to have one.
Why not us? We need the go forward.
We have no big boppers up front and none on the horizon. Maybe Patolo?

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
700k would be as high as I'd go. We offered 750k for TPJ which when comparing is also nuts I guess. We got Mahoney as a steal, Eels have some weird recruitment strategy.
Makes you wonder if Parra knows more about how his shoulder has recovered than we do.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Apart from him is there any chance we could sign a big bopper islander prop.
All the other teams seem to have one.
Why not us? We need the go forward.
We have no big boppers up front and none on the horizon. Maybe Patolo?
We have had heaps . Just no decent ones

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like I keep saying, never underestimate other clubs being willing to take on rejects from struggling clubs. Thankfully there are always clubs like the Knights, Warriors and Tigers etc that we can dump our trash on and free up some cap space..
The only problem is they were only trash while they played for us.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
All bark no bite. Need to move on from these type of players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The only problem is they were only trash while they played for us.
Guys like Mbye, Reynolds, Montoya, DWZ, Napa etc were all still shit with their respective clubs after they left us.. I doubt Hetherington does much at Newcastle. Elliott has had some good games with Canberra but I have no regrets of letting him go either.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Naden and JMK both need to be replaced with a wage though. Both were on just above minimum wage. The savings there are negligible. That’s why I say there was no saving. If JMK took Dolphins deal at $200k then we would have been paying similar or he would’ve just taken the option if we were paying him $350k or so.

Then Dufty and Vaughan are both off contract so no saving.

At best we gain about $50-100k from JMK and Naden if we replace with minimum wagers.
Glad your not my accountant. Min wage is 120k if im not mistaken. Naden was supposedly on 300k plus, and JMK would have been on 250-300k