1. Be cool and Register to set your username and display picture get the full features of the site. Talk Bulldogs NRL News, match reviews, live score, ladder, injuries, player signings and team performance.

Ivan Cleary to stay at Tigers in 2019.

Discussion in 'Rugby League General Archive' started by Mr Invisible, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Banned

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/11/ivan-cleary-to-stay-with-wests-tigers-in-2019/

Ivan Cleary has ruled out a return to Penrith, confirming he will continue to coach the Wests Tigers in 2019.

After days of speculation, Cleary addressed a large media contingent on Saturday morning, insisting he had not received an offer from the Panthers and would honour his contract with the Tigers.

Never one to seek the limelight, Cleary appeared anything but comfortable as he read from a prepared statement and spoke of the "misinformation" surrounding his coaching future.

Cleary also made it clear he would not take any questions regarding the issue.

"When I was approached by the Panthers I had no idea it was about coaching their club. I was told at that meeting the club was looking at the head coaching position. I advised the Panthers of my ongoing contract status with the Wests Tigers. I advised the Chair and CEO of the Tigers of the discussions I had with the Panthers."

Cleary said he had no idea the Panthers were going to sack coach Anthony Griffin last Monday.

"I was as surprised as anyone on the announcement of the dismissal of Anthony Griffin. I have not received any offer from the Panthers nor have I asked the Wests Tigers for a release. I am enjoying my contribution at this club and the club is growing nicely. I respect the contract I have with the Wests Tigers and I intend to honour this contract."

A move to Penrith would've allowed Cleary to coach his son Nathan. That won't happen next year but the pair openly admit they eventually want to be at the same club.

"It is common knowledge that my son Nathan and I have acknowledged our desire to work together at some time. That remains the case."

@Tacky breathes a sigh of relief.

2. Vlasnik

Vlasnik Kennel Immortal

The above statements still raises flags for me. The fact that he seemed uncomfortable reading a prepared statement (Was he reading his own prepared statement or did the club prepare it for him) and was unwilling to answer any questions regarding the issue makes me feel there is more to the rumors than Cleary wants to divulge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Banned

Either way suck shit Panthers ... Gould must be perched on his seat hoping his plan works, else members might move to out him.

4. Tacky

Tacky Kennel Regular

Meh

5. Kaz

Kaz Kennel Immortal

Ivan Cleary isn't a great liar.

The press conference was laughable.

No one believed him.

6. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Immortal Gilded x2 Gilded Premium Member

Cleary is the most overrated coach in the game.. does he think he is Belamy buying all the dead wood from other teams?

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. dogluva

dogluva Kennel Immortal

I still think he will go to the Panthers next year.....because the Tigers signed Mbye there is no chance of Nathan going there.........I know both have contracts but hey; just what are they worth after we saw the goings on this year.

8. Heckler

Heckler Kennel Enthusiast Gilded Premium Member

Just a thought. If we did snare Cleary over Pay, would we have finished higher on the ladder and would he have blooded the likes of Lewis and Martin. I doubt it.

9. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Kennel Immortal Gilded x2 Gilded Premium Member

He thinks Mbye is a good player so we'd be stuck with him... but nah, with nothing decent in the halves for almost an entire season even Bellyache would have struggled to get us any higher

• Like Like x 1
  10. fiordog

fiordog Kennel Regular

Speaks volumes of the times we live in where a coach/player sticks to their contract and it’s a newsworthy article

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Berries

Berries Kennel Immortal

This bloke isn’t really that good to have this much interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN The Bearded Crusader Gilded Premium Member The Kennel's Top Poster

IMO, both father and son are over-rated. Nathan wouldn't be anything if Maloney didn't carry him.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. doggieaaron

doggieaaron Super Moderator Staff Member

My info was spot on looks like ivan signing with panthers

14. Mr Invisible

Mr Invisible Banned

From 2021 for 3 years.

Not sure how they are able to do that one given he's a contracted coach with Tigers till then.

15. Rodzilla

Rodzilla Terry Lamb 1996

they want the tigers to release him immediately

16. doggieaaron

Yep but i was told it was 100% he was going there obviously with all the hysteria they had to pull back for a bit but obviously now they are trying to force wests hand

17. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN The Bearded Crusader Gilded Premium Member The Kennel's Top Poster

Yeah wouldn't surprise me if he goes there next year.

18. Papa Emeritus

Papa Emeritus Who wants their taint tickled? Staff Member Gilded

The tigers should work out a deal to cut him loose ASAP. Who wants a coach who is more interested in coaching a different club? It is hard to imagine he will do the best by the Tigers in the next couple of seasons knowing he is going to Penrith.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. doggieaaron

Agreed and a swap wouldnt be so bad ciraldo seems pretty good

20. MatstaDogg

MatstaDogg The Bearded Baker Premium Member

The whole Cleary circus that's going on is just annoying. Sick of hearing about it to be honest.

Ivan = Overrated coach

Nathan = Overrated player

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.