It’s a good thing half the players are off contract next season

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If our recruitment strategy for next year isn't focussed on beefing up our forward pack, I think it needs to be. Two games in and we have been totally dominated in the forwards. I don't think one of our forwards has cracked 100 metres once in either game....totally unacceptable.

Our whole gameplan is out the window if we can't dominate or at least match our opposing forward pack. We haven't been on the front foot once or gained any momentum to play any attacking football. Our backs don't stand a chance and it's unfair to blame any of them when our pack is being totally outplayed and man handled. Also let's not forget we are the only team to play both our games in atrocious conditions where the backs really don't get much chance to attack

I would be targeting 2 props. I would target an elite frontrower such as big Nelson, Haas, Pangai Jnr, Paulo , Fisher-Harris etc.... get into the ear of their managers and put an offer that is too good to refuse. Whoever wants it just needs to agitate for a release and you never know where the cards might fall

Secondly I would be after guys like Bunty Afoa, Jacob Safiti or any of the Warriors forwards that are prepared to run through a brick wall.

Two new props with Thompson as a rotation and we are already stronger up front. For me Ofi and Renouf have shown a distinct lack of hunger, aggression, intensity which is exactly what we need. I wouldn't re-sign either of them. They have both had 3 years to show something and haven't.

I also think we need at least one strike backrower which I don't believe we have in our abundance of backrowers. RFM is probably the closest but hasn't been consistent enough and has been unlucky with injuries. Matterson is a big body that fits the bill, but I'm sure there are others. Add Elliot and Jackson to that and we suddenly have size, aggression and go forward

Hooker is obviously our achilles heel at the moment and a lack of genuine hookers available makes it even harder for us to recruit what we need. Is Brandon Smith the answer? Do we try to develop Dietz if we have a monster pack that can give him some room to move?.....I really don't have the answer to that one and I trust TBaz to make the right call

With a pack of forwards like that, I'm sure our backs will look totally different, especially with Burton and JAC on board next year. I think with a backline out of Allen, JAC, Cotric, Okenbur, DWZ, Averillo, Burton, Flanagan, we will see some attacking footy.

I know there are rumours we are after Staggs, and he is a great player, but I think any money we have after we cleanout the majority of off contract players at the end of the year should go towards rebuilding our forward pack, because that's where games are won or lost, in the forwards, and at the moment we don't match up at all

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If our recruitment strategy for next year isn't focussed on beefing up our forward pack, I think it needs to be. Two games in and we have been totally dominated in the forwards. I don't think one of our forwards has cracked 100 metres once in either game....totally unacceptable.

Our whole gameplan is out the window if we can't dominate or at least match our opposing forward pack. We haven't been on the front foot once or gained any momentum to play any attacking football. Our backs don't stand a chance and it's unfair to blame any of them when our pack is being totally outplayed and man handled. Also let's not forget we are the only team to play both our games in atrocious conditions where the backs really don't get much chance to attack

I would be targeting 2 props. I would target an elite frontrower such as big Nelson, Haas, Pangai Jnr, Paulo , Fisher-Harris etc.... get into the ear of their managers and put an offer that is too good to refuse. Whoever wants it just needs to agitate for a release and you never know where the cards might fall

Secondly I would be after guys like Bunty Afoa, Jacob Safiti or any of the Warriors forwards that are prepared to run through a brick wall.

Two new props with Thompson as a rotation and we are already stronger up front. For me Ofi and Renouf have shown a distinct lack of hunger, aggression, intensity which is exactly what we need. I wouldn't re-sign either of them. They have both had 3 years to show something and haven't.

I also think we need at least one strike backrower which I don't believe we have in our abundance of backrowers. RFM is probably the closest but hasn't been consistent enough and has been unlucky with injuries. Matterson is a big body that fits the bill, but I'm sure there are others. Add Elliot and Jackson to that and we suddenly have size, aggression and go forward

Hooker is obviously our achilles heel at the moment and a lack of genuine hookers available makes it even harder for us to recruit what we need. Is Brandon Smith the answer? Do we try to develop Dietz if we have a monster pack that can give him some room to move?.....I really don't have the answer to that one and I trust TBaz to make the right call

With a pack of forwards like that, I'm sure our backs will look totally different, especially with Burton and JAC on board next year. I think with a backline out of Allen, JAC, Cotric, Okenbur, DWZ, Averillo, Burton, Flanagan, we will see some attacking footy.

I know there are rumours we are after Staggs, and he is a great player, but I think any money we have after we cleanout the majority of off contract players at the end of the year should go towards rebuilding our forward pack, because that's where games are won or lost, in the forwards, and at the moment we don't match up at all
Best we could hope for next year would be Matterson and Afoa then for 2023 yes we should target someone like Nelson or Fisher-Harris. Next year also we definitely need to upgrade Hopa for someone like Staggs or even Naden (and if we got Naden we could afford Sivo for a wing)

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Best we could hope for next year would be Matterson and Afoa then for 2023 yes we should target someone like Nelson or Fisher-Harris. Next year also we definitely need to upgrade Hopa for someone like Staggs or even Naden (and if we got Naden we could afford Sivo for a wing)
Yeah I know most of those players I mentioned are unrealistic for next year and I'd definitely take Matterson and Afoa next year and then go all out for an off contract elite prop in 2023. We desperately need an overhaul of our pack.

If there were no other forward options available to spend our money for next year then I would definitely love any of Staggs, Naden and Sivo. All would be an upgrade on Hoppa

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Fuck knows how we fix our middle third with what's off contract.... we need to get someone to break their contract.

But in regards to the backs we fucked up signing Allan, I would like to see this backline next year as both wingers are off contract and with our shit attack at least Flanagan would have options either side to kick too close to the line.

1. Addo-Carr
2. Coates*
3. Cotric
4. Schoupp
5. Tupou*
6. Burton
7. Flanagan

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Get Munster and Papenhausen to Belmore! Pay the ***** $1mill a season and do what the storm have done by investing heavily on a 1-7-9 and building a team around them.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone got a list of who is off contract next season?

Surely we try shop off DWZ. If he is on the reported 800k for 22, fuk it pay upto 50%

dogluvver

Kennel Established
Reaction score
1. ?
2. Cotric
3. ?
4. Schoupp
5. Addo-Carr
6. Burton
7. Flanagan
8. ?
9. ?
10. Thompson
11. ?
12. Elliot
13. ?

14. Topine
15. Doorey
16. ?
17. ?

Allan is fucking dreadful... Don't waste our time on Averillo, kid is scared of everyone. We need a hooker and desperately need some forwards who aren't soft *****. Fuck we have some holes to fill...
It would be so good to get TBaz's reply to this post to fill in the question marks :smiley:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Has anyone got a list of who is off contract next season?

Surely we try shop off DWZ. If he is on the reported 800k for 22, fuk it pay upto 50%
Yes and it's a very shit list. Literally all bench/reserves are off contract with top 13 players signed up already.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I could go either way on Jackson
What was it, something like 64 tackles with none missed yesterday? The bloke has carried us for years and although I never thought he was the good choice for on field "verbal leadership" I think he has earnt some loyalty from the club and fans. You always need a workhorse. His sacrifice has even cost him his NSW jumper IMO so he's a true club man in my view. How long we keep him or when does he retire is a difficult call? Hope he's calls it before we have to.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What was it, something like 64 tackles with none missed yesterday? The bloke has carried us for years and although I never thought he was the good choice for on field "verbal leadership" I think he has earnt some loyalty from the club and fans. You always need a workhorse. His sacrifice has even cost him his NSW jumper IMO so he's a true club man in my view. How long we keep him or when does he retire is a difficult call? Hope he's calls it before we have to.
He's earning 750k per season, I'm sure he's doing fine. Not sure why Baz is playing him for huge minutes as it's not like we're saving an interchange and bringing on a wrecking ball like Kikau in the backrow.

hulk hogan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We need a couple of low cost decent battering rams with balls and some sting of the bench.

what’s Peni Terepo doing, even he would look like a superstar in this side
Peni is captain coach of Narellan jest in group 6

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nah its the difference between him and every other lock in the comp
Salary
and i believe hes playing too many mins
Lol on the other points i think the glute of better back rowers nsw have had contributed to his origin jersey loss more than anything hes done for the club lol