Is your best defense always to attack?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some self defense classes teach defense and attacking manoeuvres. Boxing is no different..

I've seen a really good boxer go into his first fight, sparred very well.. but on the night was tight about throwing punches to keep a good defense. But his opponent came forward and attacked.. so he loses the fight.

Is it a basic dog mentality. If you show a dog your scared and play defense they will go at you, but show a dog you are the aggressor, many will retreat. Defensive..

In any fight no matter how good your defense is, if your opponent is throwing more punches or kicks, you are going to get hurt.

I say go in, on the offensive, be aggressive and throw punches less worried about taking a hit by return. Can't be scared of trading strikes.

If you go in tight and defensive aren't you inviting aggression from your opponent?

Discuss?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mayweather, for example, is the greatest boxer of his generation and one of the greatest all time and his style is defensive

depends on your skill set, size and experience as well as that of your opponent

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
It depends is it a street fight or in the ring.
Street fight you have to go in guns blazing making sure you take him out as there is no second round.
In the ring it’s more technical and you’re fighting someone your weight/height.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
in the streets, you can nearly always defuse situations and walk away... which should be everyone's position

IF you have to fight, swing first, swing hard, then get the f*+# out of there
Good advice, your best Avenue is to defuse and walk away, even if your pride is a little hurt. You just never know what can happen in a street fight, none of the elements are controlled. Perhaps noone will jump in to separate you.

But you need to make a very quick assessment, if you think it will escalate, inevitable, don't wait for a headbutt, be first, second, third, fourth and fifth, hit to really hurt, be vicious and then get out.. the element of surprise is your best weapon.

but never put your hands up to shape up at someone, give them a chance to set up or pull a weapon, just go at it.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mayweather, for example, is the greatest boxer of his generation and one of the greatest all time and his style is defensive

depends on your skill set, size and experience as well as that of your opponent
True, but the circumstances are controlled, time, rules, technique allowed.

Who would win judo vs karate..

Judo is highly defensive, submissive and Karate, more striking and offensive.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but the circumstances are controlled, time, rules, technique allowed.

Who would win judo vs karate..

Judo is highly defensive, submissive and Karate, more striking and offensive.
UFC really starts with the Gracie family and their desire to demonstrate that their Brazilian jiu-jitsu was the most effective in a real fight and I think it fair to view BJJ as defensive in philosophy

of course, there are variants in any art and there is/was an interesting divide in even the Gracie family with the original form of Helio Gracie and his sons being self defence, Carlos Gracie Jr being more sport orientated, and someone like Carlson Gracie being more offensive

in truth, everything develops and I doubt any one style would be all effective now and you see everyone training in striking, grappling and ground work

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a striking type of martial arts is more effective initially, but if the strikes are not effective and it gets on the ground, (most fights will), the BJJ will be hard to beat.

But on the street there is no tap out. Who will give you their back? Noone will sit and try get their breathe back either.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you are allowed to learn only one art to defend yourself, I would recommend wrestling/catch wrestling

from the striking arts, and in terms of a street fight, maybe Kyokushin Karate with proper testing (ie. sparring)

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
in the streets, you can nearly always defuse situations and walk away... which should be everyone's position

IF you have to fight, swing first, swing hard, then get the f*+# out of there
Aye even if you got to swallow you're pride a bit who gives a fuck ,cause if you end up knocking them out and they crack their head and die you'll be sitting in lock up thinking fuck there was a million was to avoid this.
Different situation if its kill or be killed kinda thing

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In Rugby League, the best form of defence is to attack. Wins every time.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aye even if you got to swallow you're pride a bit who gives a fuck ,cause if you end up knocking them out and they crack their head and die you'll be sitting in lock up thinking fuck there was a million was to avoid this.
Very true... In a street fight with a stranger, even if you win, what do you win? If you cop a few minor injuries, even if you demolish your opponent, you still lose as you didn't have those injuries (as minor as they may be) before.

Kill or be killed different story.

SoulCrusher

Banned
Reaction score
if you are allowed to learn only one art to defend yourself, I would recommend wrestling/catch wrestling

from the striking arts, and in terms of a street fight, maybe Kyokushin Karate with proper testing (ie. sparring)
Absolutely! Obviously its a good idea to balance both striking and grappling, but grappling is way more valuable on its own.

This translates to sports too. You'll see a few high level guys in the UFC with very high level grappling skills and no striking ability but there are zero guys with high level striking and no wrestling

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just don't think wrestling finishes fights.. on the street you can't tap out and everyone goes home..

Striking finishes fights, blunt force trauma. If you can't finish someone in 30 seconds on the street, your probably gonna get hurt and bad

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
My sensei always said if you fight you have already lost. Talk a situation down walk away or run away and you win the fight.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
My sensei always said if you fight you have already lost. Talk a situation down walk away or run away and you win the fight.
Your sensei was a chicken lol. No jokes it’s actually very good advice.

Last edited:

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
strike first * strike hard * no mercy