Is watching YouTube travel reviews as good as a real holiday?

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In lockdown I’ve been watching a heap of YouTube travel reviews of places I’m interested in. Even places that I’ve already been.

Ive noticed that they sort of cover most things, of course you need to experience a fine meal rather than being told about it or a show but they are not bad

for lockdown and borders shut, it’s sort of a holiday experience.

tonight I’m doing a Las Vegas and Bangkok in one night..fo

Post up you best travel holiday reviews that you give a great insight of that destination

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Palawan and bohol in the Philippines are destinations I have on my list.

Last edited:

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fuck no, not in the slightest in anyway. But they are good material for countries to hit.

Suitcasemonkey, Flyingthenest (aussies), Jon Olson, Seek Discomfort, Lost Leblanc are some worth checking out but depending on what kind of information you’re after. They all travel differently, and a lot of hosts on YouTube are just unbearable so finding ones you can enjoy watching matters.

Sri Lanka, Maldives, India is out next stops soon as travel resumes India will be country no 40.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I've been to Switzerland, and gone up to their alps. However... the one thing I haven't been able to do is experience the worlds longest toboggan ride. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie whenever I'm overseas as I like to experience it

I've already been on a husky sleigh ride in the Swiss alps... however I'd love to experience this:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been to Switzerland, and gone up to their alps. However... the one thing I haven't been able to do is experience the worlds longest toboggan ride. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junkie whenever I'm overseas as I like to experience it

I've already been on a husky sleigh ride in the Swiss alps... however I'd love to experience this:

Until COVID hit I was a tour guide in Switzerland, hosting tours by rail. Travelled on all the classic trains, and the little alpine railways.
Youtube cannot bring the amazement of some of the soaring bridges and spiralling climbs that you get when you're actually there. Also can't reproduce the cold of a blizzard, the joy of mucking around in the snow, the taste of great food and wine, or the panic of getting everyone on the train before it departs.

On a personal note - to see a carriage with your name on the side when the train arrives is a real ego boost.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score

Bit of a joke around but check it out if you haven’t seen it..

Wahesh

Reaction score
Until COVID hit I was a tour guide in Switzerland, hosting tours by rail. Travelled on all the classic trains, and the little alpine railways.
Youtube cannot bring the amazement of some of the soaring bridges and spiralling climbs that you get when you're actually there. Also can't reproduce the cold of a blizzard, the joy of mucking around in the snow, the taste of great food and wine, or the panic of getting everyone on the train before it departs.

On a personal note - to see a carriage with your name on the side when the train arrives is a real ego boost.
One of the very simple things I loved about Switzerland was going up to the alps on a train and seeing the cows with bells around their necks eating the grass "that's greener on the other side" - absolutely amazing. Then getting out of the train and walking out onto the highest point of Europe reeks of awesomeness.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
One of the very simple things I loved about Switzerland was going up to the alps on a train and seeing the cows with bells around their necks eating the grass "that's greener on the other side" - absolutely amazing. Then getting out of the train and walking out onto the highest point of Europe reeks of awesomeness.
That would have been the "Sphinx" viewing platform, above Jungfraujoch station. You should have been there the day six girls took off their tops for a selfie in a blizzard. They at least gave us something to see in an otherwise bleak, viewless day.

The birds that hover around the platform are mountain choughs. Idiots with drones are scaring them away.
Good hot chocolate from the bar up there on a cold day.

Saw a big avalanche one time as we were descending in the train to Lauterbrunnen.

I love the sound of the cowbells.

Wahesh

Reaction score
That would have been the "Sphinx" viewing platform, above Jungfraujoch station. You should have been there the day six girls took off their tops for a selfie in a blizzard. They at least gave us something to see in an otherwise bleak, viewless day.

The birds that hover around the platform are mountain choughs. Idiots with drones are scaring them away.
Good hot chocolate from the bar up there on a cold day.

Saw a big avalanche one time as we were descending in the train to Lauterbrunnen.

I love the sound of the cowbells.
That's exactly where it was mate. So in the middle of Summer, the entire mountain was blanketed gracefully in snow. It was snowing gently as well. When I went out into the snow field, I could hear a helicopter whirling and hear huskies howling, but I couldn't see anything as the visibility was low. I followed the sound of the howls then got on the sleigh and loved it. I think the helicopter sound was causing the huskies to howl lol.

Then I saw people from Queensland, SA and WA who have never seen snow before go crazy having snowball fights, build snowmen, go snowboarding - was amazing stuff.

Then down in the valley where we were staying, it's beautiful and crisp - completely green which is different from the snowfall happening on the alps. There are waterfalls coming all around the valley from the snow melting in the alps, and the water culminates to a large body at the foot of the mountain, which creates a river running right down the centre of the valley, and an old wooden bridge connects both sides.

Honestly, that place is somewhere I'd live in a heartbeat.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lauterbrunnen Valley.JPG
View from Sphinx.JPG

That's exactly where it was mate. So in the middle of Summer, the entire mountain was blanketed gracefully in snow. It was snowing gently as well. When I went out into the snow field, I could hear a helicopter whirling and hear huskies howling, but I couldn't see anything as the visibility was low. I followed the sound of the howls then got on the sleigh and loved it. I think the helicopter sound was causing the huskies to howl lol.

Then I saw people from Queensland, SA and WA who have never seen snow before go crazy having snowball fights, build snowmen, go snowboarding - was amazing stuff.

Then down in the valley where we were staying, it's beautiful and crisp - completely green which is different from the snowfall happening on the alps. There are waterfalls coming all around the valley from the snow melting in the alps, and the water culminates to a large body at the foot of the mountain, which creates a river running right down the centre of the valley, and an old wooden bridge connects both sides.

Honestly, that place is somewhere I'd live in a heartbeat.
You describe it beautifully. It is indeed a magic place. This is what the view look like when the weather clears.