Is the war chest a myth?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know about as much on the remaining cap space as anyone. But the reality is that a club with 600k to spend on one good player can compete for the same players that we're chasing in any position even if we have a lot of space. We need to bolster a few positions. We were in the bind because we paid overs for the wrong players when the quantity of talent wasn't around. If the quality available isn't great at this time I'd prefer we be patient and frontload our contracted players to leave us with more money next year to chase the right players.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
Cause we certainly ain’t moving around like a club with a war chest
The money they all talked about at the start of the year is before any signings. Since then we have resigned a number of players as well as signing Cotric and Thompson.
Everyone who thinks just because the club has money that means next year we are a top 4 side needs to have a panadol and a lie down. Next year will be more competitive but we are still 2-3 years from premiership contention.
We need a half - no quality halves on the market for next year
We need a hooker - no quality hookers on the market for next year (May change depends on cam smith)
We need a fullback - no quality fullbacks on the market

The worst thing the club can do is rush out and sign more average players to spend the money and risk not having it available should someone pop into the market in the off season or early next year.

Barrett needs to come in and focus the off season on defence. Get that right first and then see where that leaves us in attack. The we can look to sign players to fill the gap or improve our attack.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I know about as much on the remaining cap space as anyone. But the reality is that a club with 600k to spend on one good player can compete for the same players that we're chasing in any position even if we have a lot of space. We need to bolster a few positions. We were in the bind because we paid overs for the wrong players when the quantity of talent wasn't around. If the quality available isn't great at this time I'd prefer we be patient and frontload our contracted players to leave us with more money next year to chase the right players.
From my perspective it's pretty unlikely the current board will still be here if we're not competitive for the eight next year, "in or around the eight". I've given them until the start of 2021 myself. If it's much the same next year and we haven't made a dent in recruitment and strengthening the team (imo, I'm not asking for much, a top hooker, a promising half and potentially a prop or winger depending on how much salary cap space we have to spend) I'm with everyone who's been calling for them to go. I wasn't the biggest fan of the Thompson signing for the exact reason we've seen so far, we're now hoping he comes good next year (otherwise it's up there with the Foran signing). Cotric is a good signing. We've already waited ~3 years, I'm not waiting any longer personally. I can't do/feel like this anymore.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The money they all talked about at the start of the year is before any signings. Since then we have resigned a number of players as well as signing Cotric and Thompson.
Everyone who thinks just because the club has money that means next year we are a top 4 side needs to have a panadol and a lie down. Next year will be more competitive but we are still 2-3 years from premiership contention.
We need a hooker - no quality hookers on the market for next year (May change depends on cam smith)

The worst thing the club can do is rush out and sign more average players to spend the money and risk not having it available should someone pop into the market in the off season or early next year.

Barrett needs to come in and focus the off season on defence. Get that right first and then see where that leaves us in attack. The we can look to sign players to fill the gap or improve our attack.
Our defense is on par with the middle of the table. Our attack is a distant last.

Our attack has been so poor for so long I'd rather concentrate on that first, all things considered..

If we had better attack this year, we'd be near the bottom of the top 8.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to be Procative.... I think the Broncos will be very proactive and squad turnover now a new coach will be coming in

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I think the balance to move quick enough, but not rashly is critical here - once bitten twice shy

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree with the bulk of that. Feels like our biggest weakness defensively is between the wing and centres not trusting each other and in the fact that our second row isn't sliding to help them.

But if Barrett is actually a good coach, there's no reason to say that he shouldn't be able to patch our defence as well as reinvigorate the attack.

cyborg66

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we won't know how much cap space we have until we have a clean out!!!!!

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with the bulk of that. Feels like our biggest weakness defensively is between the wing and centres not trusting each other and in the fact that our second row isn't sliding to help them.

But if Barrett is actually a good coach, there's no reason to say that he shouldn't be able to patch our defence as well as reinvigorate the attack.
Its not only the wings/centres but the half next in. Either its Lewis running 20m out of the line and not completing the tackle, or its Foran struggling to move sideways with his duct-taped knees. And its not spectacular plays we're leaking tries to, its standard training run stuff.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
We've got heaps up our sleeve.
Brandon Smith won't come cheap.
Also because we have the smell of desperation about us managers will demand overs.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having a war chest is one thing, but if the shelves are empty, what is the point... The quality of players that are off contract this year is pretty poor...
we have to do something about this current squad... I can’t wait any longer, I can’t watch if we don’t make significant changes

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

How refreshing. Someone who gets it. Not much on the market.