News Is Pay having a fluffy?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The way I look at the whole scenario...
The new board was voted in, they chose to offload players in order to implement a way to deal with the salary cap debacle, and that's fine by me.
We both agree, Their plan must be executed in the set time frame.
I hate to see our team and club weakened only to become an easy target for the CROOKS that is the NRL (News Ltd & Nine networks)
Our on field success was and should always be our strength it's the magnet to high fan base and corporate support
Without...I worry we will be doomed !!!
Don't think it was even a choice to offload players - there was no other way to get under the cap.
I agree the results need to and will speak for themselves and the path to get there has been painful - we all hate seeing us down.
Let's just wait until after 30 June and see what comes from there - I firmly believe there will be additional announcements beyond Thompson for 2021 - and combined with the work to get our juniors flourishing again better times are ahead.
It should be orderly - fix the cap, the squad and improve our results - and the crowds, members and sponsors will follow.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm serious, the fuck is a fluffy?

In Pay's case I hope it means fired.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I get that - but in the absence of a true alternative for 2021, does it really matter when the decision is made? It's possible the decision is already made pending other outcomes.
First things first - let's hope we can knock over Manly next weekend :-).
Dinkumdog, Is this a hint or a riddle ?
If the result is Craig Bellamy, we should start preparing the team for him from this season !!!
Am I delusional :laughing:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Dinkumdog, Is this a hint or a riddle ?
If the result is Craig Bellamy, we should start preparing the team for him from this season !!!
Am I delusional :laughing:
Not delusional mate, but maybe looking a little too hard :-).
Keep the faith.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, what were your 2020 expectations? Mine weren't significant knowing 2021 was always when we could become competitive again squad wise.
As for the scandal, how is that the club or coaches fault? It was the two selfish former employees who brought that on everyone.
Thompson could've been announced at any time - he was always for 2021 - never in contention to join in 2020.
It might be a different story for other signings - already agreed but won't be announced before 30 June as if their existing clubs wanted to cut them loose early, we couldn't accommodate them this year.
That situation has now potentially been complicated by the Rona, whatever the new broadcast deal ends up being and how that may effect the cap moving forward. It might not simply be a reduction in the cap - but structural change coming.
Hence some potential announcements were held back.
Whatever the story - I just refuse to believe the club is doing nothing as many claim just because nothing has been said publicly - it's clearly deliberate.
How are we being outsmarted by the Tigers? The Grant thing?
They haven't outsmarted us trying to palm Reynolds back on us (to date) and with each passing day that's less and less likely (I never really believed it anyway).
Fair enough, the Grant thing is somewhat creative but I don't see how that's 'outsmarting' us. He'll go back to Melbourne once Cam Smith retires and it'll be forgotten.
On developing players - a rising tide lifts all boats, right? How can you achieve that when 10% of your cap in one player (ie: your most experienced and talented player) has been on the sideline for 50% of the time - not allowing the tide to rise (ie: young players able to learn and grow playing with said experience). Foran being out so much hasn't only been about how much money we've blown on him, but has proven the constraint on the rest of the club, including the coach and emerging squad from moving forward. That changes at the end of this year, regardless of whether he is retained or not.
My expectations weren’t high at all. I just want improvement and to look like we are genuinely building something. The first two games were more of the same.

This is what you don’t seem to get it with the CHN and Okonbur thing. It doesn’t matter whose fault it is the fact is the roster is significantly weaker now. It doesn’t matter how it happened but it’s happened.

I really don’t buy it that our club is so hamstrung by Corona yet it has little effect on others. Good clubs find ways around problems and it seems the Dogs just sit back and think time will solve all problems. The club can be in discussions about bloody Reynolds for weeks but can’t negotiate any other players....yeah right!

The Grant loan is a great piece of thinking from the Tigers. They get him for a year and a chance to be in his ear about staying the whole time. Even if he goes back they have thought outside the box about solving the hardest position in the game to fill. When have the Dogs done that lately?

How can the cap be used as a excuse for not developing players? If anything it makes it more important. Players make their debut and just stay at the same level. Can you really think of anyone that has made significant strides at the club in the last couple of years? Apart from the established players everyone else floats from CCup to NRL and different positions on the field.

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh I'm prepared for it and expect it! Haha. I hope whatever they decide that they wait til late in the season before they make a decision so that his record can determine his fate.
I agree that decision making regarding both our players and coach should be much later in our season
How else can the board make a fair assessment of things without seeing results
It won’t be a good look if the team really underperforms then pay’s contract is extended early on.
I’m hoping that is not the case.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't think it was even a choice to offload players - there was no other way to get under the cap.
I agree the results need to and will speak for themselves and the path to get there has been painful - we all hate seeing us down.
Let's just wait until after 30 June and see what comes from there - I firmly believe there will be additional announcements beyond Thompson for 2021 - and combined with the work to get our juniors flourishing again better times are ahead.
It should be orderly - fix the cap, the squad and improve our results - and the crowds, members and sponsors will follow.
I hate seeing our great club down,
Hoping to some positive signs and results most of all in the next 6 months
No doubt the finger pointing won’t take long if things fall apart.
I’ll back the organisation in an orderly fashion for this season.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I hate seeing our great club down,
Hoping to some positive signs and results most of all in the next 6 months
No doubt the finger pointing won’t take long if things fall apart.
I’ll back the organisation in an orderly fashion for this season.
Agree mate. One thing I should’ve added to the end of my last post: NEVER allow this to happen again (making bets that cripple us - no pun intended - if they don’t pay - no pun intended). Hopefully the revised corporate governance makes that impossible anyway.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The club can be in discussions about bloody Reynolds for weeks but can’t negotiate any other players....yeah right!
My view is too many are falling for Reynolds' manager and publicist trying every avenue to get him a transfer back to us. Then depending on Bulldogs Reynolds' fans having some kind of influence over who gets signed, as if. Plus a quick phone call to his best mate Ennis who then pushes Reynolds' barrow on TV. I seriously doubt that the recruitment team have spent much if any time on it. As for other players, I'm quite happy for their signings to be announced when they are actually signed, rather than spruiked in the media for weeks beforehand.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
My view is too many are falling for Reynolds' manager and publicist trying every avenue to get him a transfer back to us. Then depending on Bulldogs Reynolds' fans having some kind of influence over who gets signed, as if. Plus a quick phone call to his best mate Ennis who then pushes Reynolds' barrow on TV. I seriously doubt that the recruitment team have spent much if any time on it. As for other players, I'm quite happy for their signings to be announced when they are actually signed, rather than spruiked in the media for weeks beforehand.

Go Dogs
Why would Reynolds manager be pushing for anything anyway? He's sitting pretty as he gets his slice of the over priced pie no matter what happens.

Pays comment about it all going off the boil suggests there is more to it then you think. It sounds like its all off now anyway which is the most important thing.

I'm not bothered when signings get announced either but the clock is ticking for next season. Things are going to move very quickly now with a much smaller off season.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Go Dogs
It's clear as day that the club tried to work out a deal to sign Reynolds. Pay himself acknowledged it publicly several times.

Thankfully it's unlikely to eventuate but hopefully other potential recruits are of a much higher calibre.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There are a lot of people blaming Lewis or think things will change if we get better halves. And there is a good argument for our lack of skill in that area. But it is the forwards that don't get a lot of mention for where a lot of our problems at the moment. There have been 2 games so far this year. First was a slug feast where our forwards aimed up in defense but neither team were busting through the line. 2 game our forwards were totally dominated which put a lot of pressure on our already under pressure halves and backs which made them even worse. JT would struggle in our side at the moment. I hope with this long break that our forwards aim up and allow whoever plays in the halves the freedom to move.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why would Reynolds manager be pushing for anything anyway? He's sitting pretty as he gets his slice of the over priced pie no matter what happens.
Reynolds' manager wants a pay day past next year when his contract runs out. He is looking at another couple of years of milking his client and he's not going to get that at the Tigers. A move to us wouldn't just be for his exiting contract term, he would be asking for 1 or 2 years past that.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Reynolds' manager wants a pay day past next year when his contract runs out. He is looking at another couple of years of milking his client and he's not going to get that at the Tigers. A move to us wouldn't just be for his exiting contract term, he would be asking for 1 or 2 years past that.

Go Dogs
He's still got a year and half on his current deal which ends at the end of next year. No club would even think about offering him a 3-4 year deal

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It's clear as day that the club tried to work out a deal to sign Reynolds. Pay himself acknowledged it publicly several times.
I think you might be reading more into the media reporting than what Pay actually said;

“It has been tossed up in the media over the last few days with Josh. What we are interested in are quality players, and that’s what he is." What he didn't say speaks louder than what he did say.

"Rumour has it that Josh Reynolds could potentially be returning home to the Canterbury Bulldogs – and head coach Dean Pay hasn’t ruled it out." But he didn't rule it in either.

“Josh would have to go through the Tigers and see where he is at. From our point of view, if that was the case, we would have to have a look at it.” Have a look at it, that's a long way from working out a deal.

If you have seen something reported where Pay says that we "tried to work out a deal to sign Reynolds", then please post it up because I must have missed it.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's still got a year and half on his current deal which ends at the end of next year. No club would even think about offering him a 3-4 year deal
That's doesn't mean his manager wouldn't, shouldn't or couldn't be chasing one more pay day.

Go Dogs

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm serious, the fuck is a fluffy?

In Pay's case I hope it means fired.
Having a fluffy: having little or no intellectual weight; superficial or frivolous: fluffy thinking.

I guess it leads down the road to centrelink

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just don't get the hate some people have for Dean Pay. When he first started, it was "mission impossible" for him.
He had little money to use, as most of it was wasted by the previous incumbent and management. Thankfully
they are both gone.
He had a second tier team. Very few of them would make another first grade team.
With the limited money now available, he is trying to build a team that will be competitive.
We all should know it won't be a Premiership winning team.
This season hasn't been that bad. We could easily have won the Parra game except for a bad bounce of the ball. (2 points)
The Cowboys game was never going to amount to much considering the disruption caused by those two imbeciles.
I know the usual suspects will attack me, but that's OK

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you might be reading more into the media reporting than what Pay actually said;

“It has been tossed up in the media over the last few days with Josh. What we are interested in are quality players, and that’s what he is." What he didn't say speaks louder than what he did say.

"Rumour has it that Josh Reynolds could potentially be returning home to the Canterbury Bulldogs – and head coach Dean Pay hasn’t ruled it out." But he didn't rule it in either.

“Josh would have to go through the Tigers and see where he is at. From our point of view, if that was the case, we would have to have a look at it.” Have a look at it, that's a long way from working out a deal.

If you have seen something reported where Pay says that we "tried to work out a deal to sign Reynolds", then please post it up because I must have missed it.

Go Dogs
If Pay wasn't chasing Reynolds then why wouldn't he deny it straight away? Why would he even entertain the notion?

McGuire, Mbye, Benji, Ennis and others have all confirmed that there were discussions taking place and Pay confirmed he was interested. Read between the lines TT, it's not that hard to put two and two together.

Anyway it likely won't happen... But why you want to argue what both clubs acknowledged was true and what's blatantly obvious is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's doesn't mean his manager wouldn't, shouldn't or couldn't be chasing one more pay day.

Go Dogs
It wouldn't have been another pay day though. He'd be earning the same money either way on the same deal for one and a half more years. Both clubs would pay a split of his 750k salary. The only reason he wants to leave is because he wants to play regularly. And I doubt any club sees him as a starting player anymore.