Is it time for Hasler to rethink his number 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GRKDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Alarm bells certainly are not ringing in Belmore just yet, but you feel that after Saturday night’s performance the Bulldogs may find points much harder to come by this season.

The exclusion of Ben Barba is an obvious reason, yet last season, Canterbury’s potency in attack was down to much more than their little maestro in the number one jersey.

A short interchange in passing between their large, bustling pack, usually had teams on the back-foot early and allowed Canterbury to make inroads in most games.

The loss of Kasiano, Pritchard and Graham was incredibly evident last night, not only for their size, but for their mercurial ball skills and ability to press on opposition packs.

The Cowboys, led by Matt Scott and James Tamou, have what I believe to be the best front rower in the game, and with their ability to win metres through the centre of the field, it certainly made Jonathon Thurston’s job a much easier one last night.

Thurston was at his best with three try assists. He sold a dummy to Tony Williams and gifted Gavin Cooper the easiest try he will ever score in his career.

Compare Thurston’s influence to that of the Canterbury halves.

Canterbury lacked direction, which is a worrying sign especially if Des Hasler persists with the current halves combination of Reynolds and Keating.

There is no doubt that both halves give their all on the field, and you could not fault them for a lack of effort.

However, are they the right combination to get the Bulldogs to go one better in 2013?

No, they’re not. Kris Keating is an honest halfback at best, his influence is based on a solid left boot, his territorial kicking game is one of the stronger string in his bow, yet his attacking ‘spark’ in the opposition 20 is non-existent.

What sets great players apart from average ones is their ability to make you pay when you make a mistake.

Jonathon Thurston made Canterbury pay in cash with every single mistake they made. Every time he touched the football, something looked like it was about to happen.

Another North Queensland strike weapon, Matty Bowen was kept pretty quiet, which left it all up to Thurston to pull the strings.

When the Bulldogs had a chance to make the Cowboys pay, it didn’t happen.

On three separate sets I saw a back rower receive the ball on the fifth tackle at first receiver.

Where are the halves?

This is where you need your six, and your seven to stand up and take control.

I believe that if the Bulldogs are to reach the heights of last year, Des Hasler needs to bring Trent Hodkinson into the starting line-up, especially early in the season.

No disrespect to Kris Keating, but he is not going to win you Grand Finals. Great play-makers make the players around them look much better.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/03/11/is-it-time-for-hasler-to-rethink-his-number-7/

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
the quicker we get a new halfback the better....we will not win a premiership with keating wearing the no. 7 jumper

buddman

Serial madman!
Reaction score
What is the matter with everyone??
NRL 2013 is only 5 days old and we are talking about replacements??? If there is a repeat performance then bag me out all you want but good grief why on earth are you all panicking after the 1st game of the year???

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL 2013 is only 5 days old and we are talking about replacements??? If there is a repeat performance then bag me out all you want but good grief why on earth are you all panicking after the 1st game of the year???
It's not an over-reaction, because Keating is one of the major reasons we couldn't beat Melbourne last season.

JMP2024

Waterboy
Reaction score
2013 NRL maybe 5 days old but Keating playing no.7 has been more than 5 days old...Bring back Trent, what's the worse case scenario - Keating playing no.7?!

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
Sat nights game reminded me of the bad old days under k.moore when the opposition fullback is the lonliest player in the game with very little to do .

What is plan b with no J.T , and who was the knob who let him go in the 1st place ?

Im not too worried when the cavalry returns but in Dessie I trust

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
the guy is rubbish and imo he would not be in the top 25 for most nrl teams

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate, as solid keating was last year, his creativity was clearly exposed in the gf. Round 1 clearly showed it again, us Bulldog fans always want the best and won't settle for 2nd best.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
TH will be back fitter stronger and faster.
Out of curiosity, you have mentioned Th in several threads. Do you know something we all don't? I hope he comes back and kills it in the Nrl but i just don't see ousting keating as of yet.

Number13

Management
Reaction score
Now that JT has officially signed off with the Cowboys, the search for an alternate 7 and 6 has entererd plan B. The search continues people!

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It was evident with South Sydney, they lost their halfback during a game and crumbled. They had no-one to stir them around. A GOOD halfback is needed these days as much as a good fullback, hooker and five-eight. Look at the teams who have gone the whole way or QLD winning 7 in a row and Australia being dominate in attack, they have this recipe for an awesome attacking style thats created by these key positions working together not relying on parts of it. Des must have something in plan since probably loosing the grand final, we just have to wait now!

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What worries me about keating is him getting the basics wrong. He is not a half that will set up tries. Its not in him, and we dont have that sort of game play in us. He has a very very simple task that hasler wants. Solid defence, find the forwards from first reciever and find open space with his kicks.

Far too often he gets charged down. It happened against the Cowboys, another game last year it happened 3 times in 1 half (might have been against the titans). He throws rubbish balls and throws them forward. Anyone that wants him to find gaps, break the line, set up tries is dreaming. It is not in his game. We dont have a halfback to play like that and with our forwards I think what hasler is looking for is someone that wont over play their hand.

Keating had a shocker, he got the basics wrong. He was never going to win us the game on Saturday, you cant say he lost it because setting up tries is not his game.

He is very predictable with his runs in attacking positions. It usually is a swooping run to the left followed by a pass to Morris. The thing is it doesnt trouble the defence. The defemce slides and by the time morris gets the ball there is a situation where it is 5 on 2, no way morris can do anything.

For hodkinson not to be picked there must be more to it. I wouldnt suspect he is still injured, he has hardly played any football over the last 12 months.

Reynolds is a great young player. He finds gaps, he has smart kicks, he can read the play, he can take on the line, he has good acceleration.

We dont have anyone to partner him though. Is Moses the answer in a few years? Not too sure. Romelo is not cut out for it, something more sinister is going on with Hodkinson? I dont know. I would like to see Hodkinson get the nod. He has a good kicking game, a good chase game, decent pass and great defense. We dont need anything else, just consistency something Keating can not provide.

Would Ennis be worth a shot? or will it be more of the same with him? (silly errors, poor kicks)

Ennis has been throwing too many forward passes off the ruck of late. Might be worth a move to give him some time with the ball in hand?

We have a few decent hookers in Romelo and Pumipi that can slot it. They are probably not 80 min hookers though which will disrupt the team and flow. Is Pumipi worth being groomed as a half in NSW cup?

There are possibilities, at the end of the day none are great or shout out as something obvious that will work.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was evident with South Sydney, they lost their halfback during a game and crumbled. They had no-one to stir them around. A GOOD halfback is needed these days as much as a good fullback, hooker and five-eight. Look at the teams who have gone the whole way or QLD winning 7 in a row and Australia being dominate in attack, they have this recipe for an awesome attacking style thats created by these key positions working together not relying on parts of it. Des must have something in plan since probably loosing the grand final, we just have to wait now!
I agree with that. Halfback is a key position and all the teams that have won have had a quality half back. I guess we dont rely on a half back as much because we do have a different team structure to most, but we cant have the weakest position on the field being our half. Because that is what it is at the moment.

JT may have been overkill with the quality of our forward pack. We only need someone with a bit of vision, a good pass and a long kick. Would Tim Smith be worth a shot? He had a good year at Parra many years ago. Hasnt done anything since though.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with that. Halfback is a key position and all the teams that have won have had a quality half back. I guess we dont rely on a half back as much because we do have a different team structure to most, but we cant have the weakest position on the field being our half. Because that is what it is at the moment.

JT may have been overkill with the quality of our forward pack. We only need someone with a bit of vision, a good pass and a long kick. Would Tim Smith be worth a shot? He had a good year at Parra many years ago. Hasnt done anything since though.
Tim Smith. Where is he? Is he still riding his skate board?

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Sat nights game reminded me of the bad old days under k.moore when the opposition fullback is the lonliest player in the game with very little to do .

What is plan b with no J.T , and who was the knob who let him go in the 1st place ?

Im not too worried when the cavalry returns but in Dessie I trust
Malcolm Noad let him go. He wanted to save the cash so we could keep Anasta

On ya Mal

Cammo

Bulldogs Tragic
Reaction score
All these "experts" who think they know better than Hasler as to who should be in our team each week.

Stanna man

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tim Smith. Where is he? Is he still riding his skate board?
I think he is playing for Hull KR in England..
devinately not a right fit for our side..
des is high on defence and Tim wants to play oztag.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All these "experts" who think they know better than Hasler as to who should be in our team each week.
I agree but you have to admit its a good laugh at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.