Opinion Is Gus taking the piss while taking the cash ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can often find the real cause of many big problems by following the money trail. Tell me if you were getting $1M a year for 5 years (and the chance of an extension after that) to fix a problem how long would you take ? Probably more than 5 years hey ? The elephant in the room that no-one speaks of is that Gus is "financially incentivised" to drag out fixing our club as long as possible. If we were top of the comp now like the Broncos many people maybe even board members would be saying we don't really need Gus anymore with his costly salary. It's a waste. We certainly don't need to extend him.

In his Twitter posts over the last few days Gus said we tried buying our way out of trouble but it didn't work and it rarely does. WTF ! When was that ? Maybe he's going back to the Des and Dib days because we haven't had a decent 7 or 1 since then. There was all the talk of a war chest for 2024 when Gus said we only had a handful of players on contract so we could virtually change up the whole roster. So what we re-signed some players who helped get us where we are today and Crichton and Xerri have exhausted that war chest ? We're pinning our hopes on a centre becoming a fullback (reminds me of when we bought Brett Morris) and on a centre that hasn't played a game of anything in 4 years ? Seriously. Where are the BIG middles we desperately need NOW and in future ? I can't see any in our lower grades.

When someone asked Gus about recruitment the other day he said there's not much available now so that's driving up prices which isn't good. F..king DER. Maybe if we'd planned better to shed someone like Thompson and acted sooner we might have done better Gus. Maybe we could have bought one or two of those middles the Dolphins signed. They just got another in Josh Kerr. Did we even chase Royce Hunt ? Maybe Gus didn't have time to lift the phone and do his best paid priority job in between doing podcasts, commentary for Channel Nine and answering every moron that posts on Twitter. I did see a post where Gus mentioned he wanted to see our current players in action more before looking elsewhere. Hasn't he seen enough already ? Look where we are. He needs to prioritise his time better maybe.

Gus tells us we have to develop, so we have to wait. Why ? Look at the Broncos and how quickly they turned things around once they had a decent 7 and 1. Look at the Warriors once they had a decent 7 and a decent coach. Look at the Dolphins who bought a whole pack of decent middles from other clubs and are better than us in their very FIRST season LOL. Look at the Sharks with a decent 7.

We should develop ? Why exactly Gus ? So we can move them on like Averillo ? We won the reserve grade comp in 2018. How many of that team are playing NRL for us now ? A big fat 1 in Okunbor. We got very little use out of the rest of that team.

Maybe the reason we don't do well is simply because we keep making the wrong "choices" in our recruitment like Gus has done himself this year with Sutton and Davey. Maybe the problem has something to do with employing assistant coaches who as NRL head coaches are soft cocks and get taken advantage of by players who have no reason to respect them and find it easier to lose than to make those extra effort plays needed to win a game. When the coach gets sacked the players are sad for a few days feeling guilty but then quickly move onto their new mentor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still in favour of having Gus but I think sometimes his ego gets in the way, he thinks his shit doesn't stink and so he's failed with some of his decision making but he's too full of himself to realise it and I just hope his main motivation isn't his bank account. He needs to be asked questions by someone. We all do. Our old board put all their eggs in one basket and had too much faith in Des to rescue the club. Maybe the current board have too much unquestioned faith in Gus. For a MIL a season I expect better, sooner sorry.

We should have hired Shane Flanagan as coach and signed Adam Reynolds as our 7. That's not in hindsight. I always thought that and the club wouldn't need to pay me $5M to advise them of that.

Last edited:

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He needs to get off his ass and announce Hame Sele.

Extend the contracts of TPJ and Frank the Tank.

Release Sutton and Thompson back to England.

Fuck off okunbor, flanagan and waddell to another club.

Promote Joash Papalii in our top 30. Fast, steps like RTS and isn't scared off contact. You rarely find juniors like Papalii who grew up in the area and has a superstar last name.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
You can often find the real cause of many big problems by following the money trail. Tell me if you were getting $1M a year for 5 years (and the chance of an extension after that) to fix a problem how long would you take ? Probably more than 5 years hey ? The elephant in the room that no-one speaks of is that Gus is "financially incentivised" to drag out fixing our club as long as possible. If we were top of the comp now like the Broncos many people maybe even board members would be saying we don't really need Gus anymore with his costly salary. It's a waste. We certainly don't need to extend him.

In his Twitter posts over the last few days Gus said we tried buying our way out of trouble but it didn't work and it rarely does. WTF ! When was that ? Maybe he's going back to the Des and Dib days because we haven't had a decent 7 or 1 since then. There was all the talk of a war chest for 2024 when Gus said we only had a handful of players on contract so we could virtually change up the whole roster. So what we re-signed some players who helped get us where we are today and Crichton and Xerri have exhausted that war chest ? We're pinning our hopes on a centre becoming a fullback (reminds me of when we bought Brett Morris) and on a centre that hasn't played a game of anything in 4 years ? Seriously. Where are the BIG middles we desperately need NOW and in future ? I can't see any in our lower grades.

When someone asked Gus about recruitment the other day he said there's not much available now so that's driving up prices which isn't good. F..king DER. Maybe if we'd planned better to shed someone like Thompson and acted sooner we might have done better Gus. Maybe we could have bought one or two of those middles the Dolphins signed. They just got another in Josh Kerr. Did we even chase Royce Hunt ? Maybe Gus didn't have time to lift the phone and do his best paid priority job in between doing podcasts, commentary for Channel Nine and answering every moron that posts on Twitter. I did see a post where Gus mentioned he wanted to see our current players in action more before looking elsewhere. Hasn't he seen enough already ? Look where we are. He needs to prioritise his time better maybe.

Gus tells us we have to develop, so we have to wait. Why ? Look at the Broncos and how quickly they turned things around once they had a decent 7 and 1. Look at the Warriors once they had a decent 7 and a decent coach. Look at the Dolphins who bought a whole pack of decent middles from other clubs and are better than us in their very FIRST season LOL. Look at the Sharks with a decent 7.

We should develop ? Why exactly Gus ? So we can move them on like Averillo ? We won the reserve grade comp in 2018. How many of that team are playing NRL for us now ? A big fat 1 in Okunbor. We got very little use out of the rest of that team.

Maybe the reason we don't do well is simply because we keep making the wrong "choices" in our recruitment like Gus has done himself this year with Sutton and Davey. Maybe the problem has something to do with employing assistant coaches who as NRL head coaches are soft cocks and get taken advantage of by players who have no reason to respect them and find it easier to lose than to make those extra effort plays needed to win a game. When the coach gets sacked the players are sad for a few days feeling guilty but then quickly move onto their new mentor.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still in favour of having Gus but I think sometimes his ego gets in the way, he thinks his shit doesn't stink and so he's failed with some of his decision making but he's too full of himself to realise it and I just hope his main motivation isn't his bank account. He needs to be asked questions by someone. We all do. Our old board put all their eggs in one basket and had too much faith in Des to rescue the club. Maybe the current board have too much unquestioned faith in Gus. For a MIL a season I expect better, sooner sorry.

We should have hired Shane Flanagan as coach and signed Adam Reynolds as our 7. That's not in hindsight. I always thought that and the club wouldn't need to pay me $5M to advise them of that.
Totally agree mate...
And who ever made the stupid call to give Josh Reynolds a 12 month contract needs a kick up the ass

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

No

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think people on this forum need to just chill out and stop with the name calling and straight away getting all defensive. We all have one thing in common and that’s the success of this club so no need to get down some one’s throat as soon as they express what they feel and you don’t agree.

now for my reply… I’m 50/50 on what you said, you have alot of valid points but who do we replace gus with? I’m getting inpatient myself as this bottom of the table rubbish is exhausting. I hate losing period! And to see my team I support always losing sucks but we just gotta suck it up ourselves and hope the guys running the joint finally get it right.

one thing I must say is gus needs to quit it with the twitter shit. It’s embarrassing how quick he responds and how often he is on it when the team he is running is prob the worst team in the comp atm. Im all for interacting with fans but he spends way to much time on that crap.
I’m holding hope we announce some signings in the near future and get rid of dead wood. If not much js done for 2024 and we enter next year with a similar team then I’ll be the one posting an identical post.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give the guy a break walked into a shitstorm I’ll judge in another 2 years

Our lower grades are killing it for the first time in a long time
I’m the same but he was right. We won the nsw cup side in 18 and that transitioned to fuck all. This year we have a lot of talent in cup and still lingering bottom 4. Something isn’t right at the club. Somethibf beyond players and it’s frustrating

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, you're right.. Gus only took the job for money and is deliberately sabotaging the club to get more money... It's not like he earns a tonne working for Channel 9 or hasn't earned a lot of money in 40 years of working in Rugby League. Seriously, what the fuck are people on about?