Is Barrett the coach to get us a Premiership?

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone watch 100% footy last night? TB interviewed by the panel and was asked how is your new general manager going? He replied Gus yeh pretty good we haven’t had a blu yet! And then Gus jumped in and said It’s coming don’t worry... they both laughed but Barrett face goes red! Lol
Gus will hold everyone accountable, Trent included.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes I believe he will too! That look of determination Gus has gives me lots of hope.
Of course he will hold Trent accountable. Look at his track record with coaches :

- Sacked Ivan the year after Penrith made the top 8
- Sacked Griffin when they were actually in the top 4

He will give him next year for sure with the improved roster and make a decision then. The good thing is that he will review ALL of the jobs within the football department including assistants, recruitment, trainers, etc.

I reckon there will be a few changes within those roles in the off season.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
If we chop and change everytime a coach doesn't give us a premiership we are never going to win one.

Dean Pay inherited a mess with no financial way out of it, and when the money was available, no good player was.

Trent Barrett has inherited the same mess and has started to sign some very good players and there's a chance another 1 or 2 will come. We need to give him a chance to work with this and see what he can deliver.

In short, if the Bulldogs don't win the premiership in 2022 and fire Barrett, we will not be getting anywhere near the title in 2023!

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
Hard to have a positive attitude with this bunch of bozos, but some of it is on him for not motivating them.
there’s 16 head coaching jobs in the nrl. and 480 roster spots for players. if you’re not turning up with a positive attitude as a coach when you’ve put your hand up for it and being paid hundreds of thousands then you need a psyche evaluation.

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Possibly, but not convinced. It will all depend on if he and Gus can play nicely together.

MariaZ

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
They have alot of work ahead of them that is really going to test their friendship!

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
there’s 16 head coaching jobs in the nrl. and 480 roster spots for players. if you’re not turning up with a positive attitude as a coach when you’ve put your hand up for it and being paid hundreds of thousands then you need a psyche evaluation.
I think anybody who puts their hand up to be a head coach needs a psyche evaluation especially with the snowflakes they coach these days. You tell them they did something wrong & the next thing you know they are kicking stones at training & their manager is seeking a release.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This would have to be the worst season, with the worst squad, to come in and be a new coach. Covid + rule changes + defective officiating regime means it has been an extra hard season to be a bottom 4 team. Add to that the challenge of trying to keep blokes heads in the game when half of them don't have a contract for next season, and the fact that he has gone most of the season with out a Football Manager. Respect to Barrett for keeping his chin up and turning up every day with a positive attitude despite all the challenges. In terms of attitude and mental toughness, he is a good leader. Whether he can get the team next year working together with systems that can beat the best teams is another question, but he should be given the time and space to figure it out. Masters in any field get to the top by making and learning from mistakes along the way.
I've been critical of his selections and bench rotations, which is solely on Baz in the majority of situations.

But your post gives a complete picture of all the barriers he has faced, so fair play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If Gus sacked two coaches at Penrith including Hook who at the time had them in the top 4 then I’m afraid Baz is on borrowed time if we continue to lose games and concede 30ppg
You would rightly expect so.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just gotta challenge you on that one Wendy, seriously did you not see the "motivation" when we came back in the second half last weekend?
I wish I was at the game because I bet I could feel it when they walked out at half time.

There was plenty of motivation, until the ref killed it.

Always a Bulldog
Coming back in the 2nd half is the same as winning a few games at the end of the season after its all over.

Mate I'm talking about the whole season but if you think its ok, then ok, up to you, I won't challenge you on that.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
A lot of people in this thread mentioned that they would wait to judge Barrett until this year when he had time to build his own squad. Does anyone still believe he can take us to a premiership?

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
NO FUCKING WAY!
What I find funny is how many commentators take digs at Barretts coaching. No one will publically come out and diss him because he is very liked and super nice bloke, too nice. But Cronk, Flanagan and Alexander all take subtle digs at him.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
No, I don't think he's the one.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My opinion after today, we have improved massively in defence, but we are terribly predictable in attack. Who the hell is in charge of our attacking skill sessions, as we are pretty ordinary with throwing the ball around and having a red hot crack. I believe we are beating ourselves, last week and this week. We can tackle our hearts out, but if we can’t score, we will struggle to come away with competition points week to week. I don’t think Baz is that great at taking chances, if he is, why are we so boring and flat footed to watch in attack. We put no pressure on teams. I truly thought we should’ve won today, Manly we’re lucky with all the Ball they had, but like I said, what pressure did we put on going near the try line. It can’t be left up to Burton.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he coached his 100th nrl game tonight, he's won 33 and lost 66. Unfortunately for barrett, he's a serial loser. I hope he steps down before he really buries his chance as a winning nrl coach, get someone better in and be an assistant for another decade until he's ready.

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys there is a few of you who want Trent Barrett to be sacked. The big question is who could come in and replace him? I would put this out there -‘Brad Fittler’, he said if he could have his time again as a full time coach he would do things so differently - hemnow knows a thing or too after coach Orgin. Before you get angry about who I think, who else is out there - not much to choose from.’We don’t want anyone too old either, like a Wayne Bennett, Craig Bellamy type. They are going to have to be around for a long while to fix this mess. Maybe Tim Sheens. We need experience but not someone who is looking to wind down in the future. If it was 12 months ago, I would’ve said Craig Fitzgibbon but he got snapped up by the Sharks. I think we need a coach who’s tough but fair. I think Baz is too nice a guy to put a rocket up players when it’s needed. I don’t remember many successful coaches who were really chummy with the players when the chips were down.
Paul Green