News Introducing the possible Bulldogs fullback, Hayze Perham

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering Pehram was rarely called on at the Eels even when Gutherson was out, I thinks its best to keep expectations in check.
Tbh every off season is more hype than it’s worth, but rather than everyone training the house down hearing that there is a lot more of the squad being vocal can only be a good thing, last year we lacked leaders on the field hopefully this year with new spine players the team don’t drop there heads

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Considering Pehram was rarely called on at the Eels even when Gutherson was out, I thinks its best to keep expectations in check.
Brad Arthur is known to make dumb decisions though... Some people here said Perham would only get a look in if injuries occur and is not a starter. Yet here we are and he looks to be #1

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad Arthur is known to make dumb decisions though... Some people here said Perham would only get a look in if injuries occur and is not a starter. Yet here we are and he looks to be #1
They were playing him on the wing, which doesn't appear to suit his skillset.

I was one that thought he would be backup but he has obviously had a top pre-season ... good on him.

mez

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Heaps of people on here are talking about finding a good fullback (some go for rockstar) and maybe we did? A Weill I didn’t play that bad in fullback especially when we started winning a few games

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Just hope he can catch bombs right now thats all we need.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Hayze kills it and turns out to be another signing like Max King did it would be great to rub it in to them salty Eels supporters
agree but there’s no future for him with us as of next year

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just hope he can catch bombs right now thats all we need.
If he can’t there’s something very wrong because he has Burto to pepper him with kicks all day, if he can catch them the way he puts em up he can catch anyones …

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
why cant he fight for a centre or wing spot
critta at the back is taken, fox is one wing taken, assume kiraz will take another center or wing spot, we didn’t buy xerri to play reggie’s so there’s another center spot taken. leaves 1 spot. if alamoti kicks on well this year, he may make that spot his own. same deal for averillo. i agree perham could fight for the spot but he’s got alot of competition

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
critta at the back is taken, fox is one wing taken, assume kiraz will take another center or wing spot, we didn’t buy xerri to play reggie’s so there’s another center spot taken. leaves 1 spot. if alamoti kicks on well this year, he may make that spot his own. same deal for averillo. i agree perham could fight for the spot but he’s got alot of competition
Maybe, but if Perham has an outstanding season then he may well stay at fullback , Xerri and Crighton centres with JAC and Kiraz on the wings. That's as good a backline as we have ever had.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe, but if Perham has an outstanding season then he may well stay at fullback , Xerri and Crighton centres with JAC and Kiraz on the wings. That's as good a backline as we have ever had.

Always a Bulldog
agree. who misses out though?

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rotorua reunion: Perham preparing to be the No. 1 point of attack

While this year’s Harvey Norman All Stars clash will be a special homecoming for many of the Māori players, it'll be even more memorable for Rotorua product Hayze Perham, who will be running out in front of friends, family and schoolmates on familiar ground.

After being named in Ben Gardiner’s Māori All Stars squad, the 23-year-old former Rotorua Boys' High School student will be prepared for cheers and tears from family and friends when he makes his All Stars debut in the Māori's first game on home soil.

“Most of my family is here, I don’t know how many tickets I’ll be requesting, but it’ll be the majority of the allocation,” Perham told the media at Rotorua.

“Hopefully we can get them all into the game, Mum and Dad are stoked and all the wider family and travelling from all over to watch. I told the boys, ‘any spare ones [tickets] brothers, I need them.

“All my bros from Rotorua Boys, most of them are still local and they asked me for tickets about ten seconds after the team list got out on social media.

“It’ll be my first time playing at the stadium since school days. I played a few rep games, rugby and league at the stadium, and it’s always special.”

Perham, who joined the Bulldogs from the Eels during the off-season, is hoping to get a crack at the Māori’s No. 1 jersey after Joey Manu was ruled out on Monday for a facial fracture.

“He (Gardiner) has kind of said to be ready for anything really. I have been training at fullback for most of the pre-season at the Dogs, so hopefully, I get a crack there,” he said.

“I expect to float around the backline and help out wherever I can.

“It’s unlimited subs and the start of the season, so the boys will be fresh and we will have to see how the legs and lungs go. But I’ll be rotating around the backline.”

Despite only playing a singular NRL game at fullback, Perham is expected to be pushing incumbent Jake Averillo for the Bulldogs’ fullback position in 2023.

After training in the role during pre-season, Perham said Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo is excited to see what he can do if given an opportunity in the Māori’s spine.

Hayze Perham

“I have always backed myself in terms of running the ball and putting people into space. More of a focus has been on defensive, positioning, and organising the line,” he said.

“That has been my biggest priority this pre-season and I have definitely come a long way- so I am hoping that all the work I have put in over the off-season comes out in aspects of this game.

“(Ciraldo) has just told me to go out there and have fun. He has seen all the hard work I have put in and he has really pushed me this pre-season. He said he is excited to see what I can do out there, and I am the same.”

After being called into the squad on Monday, 21-year-old Wests Tigers forward Tukimihia Simpkins will also be making his debut in front of a home crowd on Saturday alongside former teammate in Perham.

“It’s pretty crazy. When I saw this game was in Rotorua a while back it became a dream to play in it, but this is going to be unreal," Simpkins said. “He (Perham) was my captain at one point, so it is pretty cool to link up with him again.

“We always text now and then and also did a bit of training over the off-season together when we were back in Rotorua. It’s cool to be back together.”

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Same here go well young fella and please do not get injured.
Idk when the game is actually on and never watch it generally but....

Is it on Kayo? :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: mez

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rotorua reunion: Perham preparing to be the No. 1 point of attack

While this year’s Harvey Norman All Stars clash will be a special homecoming for many of the Māori players, it'll be even more memorable for Rotorua product Hayze Perham, who will be running out in front of friends, family and schoolmates on familiar ground.
Thus Burns named at FB this weekend. Interesting that Jake named at centre, though he'll be at FB for part of it. I'd like to see JK getting a run there, but I can understand if Ciro keeps him on the flanks.