News Introducing the possible Bulldogs fullback, Hayze Perham

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
January 31, 2023 Jason Oliver
NRL 2023: Introducing the possible Bulldogs fullback, Hayze Perham

Team lists are starting to trickle out ahead of the 2023 NRL season, and Hayze Perham is a name few expected to see at fullback for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

We’re at the stage of the NRL 2023 preseason where Round 1 lists are slowly starting to become clearer. Some players are locked in and we can confidently tip them to be there for the opener. However, every club has a positional battle that is yet to be decided.
The Gold Coast Titans spine is said to be locked in and I looked a little bit into that last week. More recently, and this is one few saw coming, Hayze Perham is expected to start at fullback for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs when their hotly-anticipated season kicks off.
While Jake Averillo isn’t a household name, I, for one, didn’t expect to see him unseated as the first-choice fullback. Not to start the NRL season, anyway. But with Michael Chammas at the Sydney Morning Herald reporting that “little-known recruit Hayze Perham first crack at the Bulldogs’ No.1 jersey in 2023,” excitement is building.

Who is Hayze Perham?

Perham is a little-known recruit for most, but for many across the ditch, seeing him given a real opportunity in first grade is a long time coming.
The 23-year-old has jumped between clubs, positions and grades since making his NSW Cup debut for the Warriors in 2018. He has since played 67 games at Cup level with his last two seasons at the Parramatta Eels. With only 16 NRL appearances in that time (9 for the Warriors and 7 for the Eels), he is still relatively inexperienced. However, with what I’ve seen from him – at the Warriors, especially – it won’t be a surprise to see him perform from day one and make the #1 jersey his all year.

Perham is a triple-threat fullback. He can run, pass or kick in behind, and with some consistency and cohesion at the position across multiple weeks, his decision-making on when to pull the trigger and with what weapon will only become clearer.

Perham is at his most dangerous running the ball. His footwork is electric and he can beat defenders off both feet. As mentioned already, he’s a triple threat. He holds the ball out in front to put the defender in their seat and takes what they give him.

Sit back and wait for cover, and Perham can beat the big forward inside for speed and a skip through the line.

Perham can add some spice to the Bulldogs attack as a ball-player, too. He has plenty of experience at five-eighth and the ball skills to boot, but as is the case from fullback, he’s at his best running the ball and using his footwork to beat and isolate defenders. With his ability to beat players one-on-one Perham creates opportunities outside him and has the pass to turn those opportunities into points.

There is nothing on when Perham catches the ball here, but with the space he is given and with his footwork, he’s able to box-up the two and three-in defenders which forces the winger to jam in leaving space for his centre to score in the corner.

To cap it all off, Perham has enough of a kicking game to roll the ball in behind a rushing defensive line to complete the treble: Run, pass and kick.

Perham has it all for a fullback on paper, he’s just needed an extended opportunity at the right place to put it all on display. Jake Averillo was expected by many to walk straight into the fullback jersey and would do with a similar skill set to the Kiwi, but Perham is the slightly bigger body. Averillo’s experience in the centres makes sense from a squad makeup perspective, too. Cameron Ciraldo obviously sees a lot in Perham and Averillo has become a key feature of the side. This is one way to ensure they both spend big minutes on the field.

Perham will come into the 2023 NRL season as a relative unknown, but if he stays healthy and plays the sort of football I think he’s capable of, he will finish up as one of the hottest young players in the game.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note that the article uses animated gifs to illustrate their points and they won't load here, so visit the link if you want to see them

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
People have rated Perham for a while. He'll get a great opportunity. It'll be good to see him in the trials to see how he goes.
He’s a confidence player
If he can get thag right the sky’s the limit but when things go astray he goes quiet/ missing and drops his head
He absolutely killed 20s and juniors and then dropped off
He has the talent
Needs the attitude and execution

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what happens if he does well at fullback. I can't see Crichton not playing fullback, maybe Perham at centre then? He will have competiton with Alamoti & Xerri. A good problem to have; hopefully if they all come good.

Good to see that the club aern't putting all their eggs into one basket. Creating genuine competiton for places and stacking the squad with as much talent as possible. For too long we had to play flops simply cause there was no one else.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see what happens if he does well at fullback. I can't see Crichton not playing fullback, maybe Perham at centre then? He will have competiton with Alamoti & Xerri. A good problem to have; hopefully if they all come good.

Good to see that the club aern't putting all their eggs into one basket. Creating genuine competiton for places and stacking the squad with as much talent as possible. For too long we had to play flops simply cause there was no one else.
If he performs well enough at fullback then I'm sure other clubs will be tapping him up and he will get a move for 2024. If not then he will stay on as depth, doubt he'd be in the frame for a centre or wing spot unless multiple injuries hit.

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair enough if true. Avo is owed nothing.
Given the recent glut of quality signings, I honestly don't think that Averillo has a long term future at the club.

Would not be at all surprised if he is released from his contract and traded away at some point.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Given the recent glut of quality signings, I honestly don't think that Averillo has a long term future at the club.

Would not be at all surprised if he is released from his contract and traded away at some point.
He's literally starting right centre this year and getting a contract extension 8-)

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he performs well enough at fullback then I'm sure other clubs will be tapping him up and he will get a move for 2024. If not then he will stay on as depth, doubt he'd be in the frame for a centre or wing spot unless multiple injuries hit.
Most likely. Either way its good to have competition for places. Now we just need it in our forward pack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Most likely. Either way its good to have competition for places. Now we just need it in our forward pack.
Yes our middles are weak still quite weak and we're pretty much going to be playing Waddell at prop some time this season lol. Edges aren't that bad with Kikau, RFM, Preston and Davey.