Ideas to Improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lookie here... you just said it so i guess you're the one that needs to get shot..

even if you dont mean it.. you need to get shot because you're farking annoying and you "pigbenis" isnt very "pig" at all

hth
Go watch them when they played 5/8 for the broncos

SMD XxFoVoSxX

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Cut out the silly mistakes after scoring, consolidate field position, somehow giving the centres more ball

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
they just need to play rugby league. tonight was just one of those nights teams get every here and there were nothing goes right no matter how much you try.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
team relies on one side too much...

this is a result of relying on SBW for most of 2008 and a fair bit of 2007...

That and our best defensive forwards aren't great passers....

Our team's poor handling results IMO from the fact we lack cohesion still...the team has been newly formed, give them time

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
My concern is defence. They were saying we defended well on channel nine but the ease in which the Titans scored those tries near our line was tragic. Allowing 4 tries to be scored is not good defence.

Rogers ran straight through two defenders in a simple play and Preston was given an invitation to score. Idris and Barba were at fault because they read the play all wrong. Rogers try in particular wasn't even tricky. He simply had more determination but Idris was also easily sucked in by another player.

The same thing happened last week too. Every time the Panthers got near our line I thought they'd score and after about 30 last night I thought the same. Our defence is soft and needs to be up and in. I can't stand how they just sit back and wait for the opponent to come to them. Gold Coast consistently made gains of over 40m in each set which is unacceptable.

It's difficult settling for that garbage when you've seen teams like those in the mid 90s that were hard as to get through.

bulldogs2010

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My concern is defence. They were saying we defended well on channel nine but the ease in which the Titans scored those tries near our line was tragic. Allowing 4 tries to be scored is not good defence.

Rogers ran straight through two defenders in a simple play and Preston was given an invitation to score. Idris and Barba were at fault because they read the play all wrong. Rogers try in particular wasn't even tricky. He simply had more determination but Idris was also easily sucked in by another player.

The same thing happened last week too. Every time the Panthers got near our line I thought they'd score and after about 30 last night I thought the same. Our defence is soft and needs to be up and in. I can't stand how they just sit back and wait for the opponent to come to them. Gold Coast consistently made gains of over 40m in each set which is unacceptable.

It's difficult settling for that garbage when you've seen teams like those in the mid 90s that were hard as to get through.
It was actually Lee Tee Maari's fault. He was right infront of Rogers and missed him initially so it was up to Idris and Lee Tee Maari, again, didn't wrap up the ball.

hth

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we have improved dramatically in defence and in attack from last season. But we still making too many errors like last year.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
From a perspective of someone at the ground i thought we were compact in offence all night. We were not spread out and nobody was running. We were flat. The ref was a b@stard and we couldnt believe some of his calls, we were all like "wtf" a lot. He must have made 7 or 8 bad calls against us, it was a shocker. A few of them led to tries to GC or robbed us, we could have been closer very easily.

That being said we didnt look dangerous all night in attack. GC were not that flash, we were just worse. It was sad for me since i only get to see a few live matches a year, that they put in this performance, but what can u do?

Cruel game league. 7 days ago we were no.1. Since then a loss of 2 points and a game and we could be bottom 4 after this week. I know its early days.

Fu Manchu

www.myspace.com/fumanchu
Reaction score
After watching 3 weeks of the boys running around, IMO, I think the improvements could be as follows:

1) Patten
2) Idris
3) Roberts
4) Morris
5) Goodwin
6) Stagg
7) Kimmorley

8) Hannant
9) Ennis
10) Armit
11) Eastwood
12) Ryan (C)
13) Warburton

14) Hodgson
15) Kite
16) Gordon
17) Barba

Roberts is a centre - as proved by his last two performances. He already primarily plays on one side of the ruck. If the responsibility of being a playmaker is removed from his shoulders, he can play his natural running game & provide extra spark to our attacking game.
I have now retired El Masri (Ennis for goal kicker), to change the structure of the backline. Replacing him is Idris, who still looks like he needs some more time to adjust to the top grade, but still has the goods.
Stagg to 5/8, as he is already playing a second receiver role at stages of the game. He shows speed, has a passing & kicking game and is obviously no slouch in defence. Kimmorley runs the show anyway, so it would compliment him to have a solid player to back him up. They say he wants to play lock, but any decision to move him is for the benefit of the team.
Eastwood to start as his match fitness grows. Has shown some good potential and is an attacking back rower, one that can bust the line or pop that pass that leads on to second phase play.
Warburton to lock, to take up the workload that Stagg does currently.
Hodgson back into the side, as he was our best prop in game one.
Gordon in as another attacking forward (he was 18th man last night - so already on the fringe of selection).
Barba to carve them up as the game goes on. Alot of commentators are stating that the game is now for the smaller men, as the speed has picked up & fatifue is starting to set in due to the two ref model.
Roberts, Stagg, Eastwood, Gordon & Barba unsure enough versatility to ensure that all injuries are covered and that the side can adjust to different styles of play as the game warrants.
Side need to run more set plays involving short passing, angles & the faster outside backs. Need to break from the flat style of play already setting in. Backs need to get deeper in attack. Some emphasis needs to be taken off Kimmorley at times, just to keep the opposition guessing.

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I can't wait for the return of Hodgo next week. Also I want to see how Jarrad Hickey goes hopefully he can do produce the line breaks he did last year.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dude Roberts at centre is fail Manchu...

He is not a halfback and he is not a centre.

If you're gonna drop Hazem atleast bring in someone that HAS played in the centres/wing and moving Idris out after one bad game is pathetic.

Utai and Gordon should replace Haz if thats what you're saying, and no im not saying we should drop Haz, but moving Idris who's played he's entire career almost entirely at centre and then shifting him out? That's a load of cr@p...Look how well Matt King did when he was moved from centre to wing

H

HarryHubert

My ideas to improve would probably to go back to the formula that we had in the Manly game.

1.Start Roberts at 5/8th
2.Hodgson starts and Armit will give us impact off the bench
3.Get more ball to Josh Morris

Fu Manchu

www.myspace.com/fumanchu
Reaction score
Dude Roberts at centre is fail Manchu...

He is not a halfback and he is not a centre.

If you're gonna drop Hazem atleast bring in someone that HAS played in the centres/wing and moving Idris out after one bad game is pathetic.

Utai and Gordon should replace Haz if thats what you're saying, and no im not saying we should drop Haz, but moving Idris who's played he's entire career almost entirely at centre and then shifting him out? That's a load of cr@p...Look how well Matt King did when he was moved from centre to wing

The best game I have ever seen Roberts play was when he first started for us & Folkesy played him at centre. He is an individualist that would do very well out wide. He has a sweet step & is quick on his feet. Perfect centre material.

Idris has played on the wing. Here is his bio of the Bulldogs home page to back me up:

Jamal Idris
Date of Birth : 6 July, 1990
Height : 192 cm
Weight : 106 kg
Position : Centre, Wing
Junior Clubs : Berala
Previous Clubs : NIl
Club Debut : Vs Parramatta - 23rd Aug 2008 Biography
A world ranked junior athletics champion, Jamal Idris joined the Bulldogs from Forster at the end of 2007 after attracting attention from South Sydney and Parramatta.

Having started athletics when he was five, he was part of the Australian team that competed in the World Youth Championships staged in Ostrava in the Czech Republic in July 2007.

He started the 2008 season in the Bulldogs SG Ball side, scoring ten tries before getting the call up to play in the U20's National Youth Competition against the Wests Tigers on March 30.

Idris would go fine out there. It is not because he had one average game that I suggest moving him. I do it to give us some height & intimidation on the flanks.

Are u suggesting putting Yilleen Gordon on the wing?

I am pretty sure Matt King did fine on the wing - played for NSW and maybe even Australia on the wing. I think that is proof that players can be flexible in their positions.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't get too worked up. It's early days, and there's plenty to be happy about from what I've seen so far this year.

They're a new side, and it's going to take a few more games before they start to understand each other. I don't expect us to take out the premiership this year; but we're going to worry a lot of highly rated sides, though. Towards the end of the season I expect that we will be very competitive, and the GF hopefuls will rue having to play against us when they desperately need the competition points.

There's no reason why we shouldn't be a top eight contender.

Shawty

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Attitude is a problem.

And improve on the defense abit hit em harder.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
shifting players between positions while in the short term hinders performance, but in the long term gives players a greater postional awareness of where they need to be in order to help the blokes next to them. in attack and defence

bulldogs27

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our halves need to move and pass quicker and stand deeper
We need to know how to defend a bomb
We need to put up the bomb.
The titans we're pathetic under the bomb in round2.
A swim at the beach would do
wonders aswell as a good rest
Defence is getting better
I could see Ryan talking to Stagg and the rest of the troops b4 a big defensive set was required of them all
Again, like I said, practice the old balls in soapy water trick 4 handling

Status
Not open for further replies.