News 'I can feel the heat coming': Flanagan expects to be targeted

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our lack of an attacking hooker really bites us here. If we had a kicking or running option there it would give Flanagan that second or two extra without pressure.
It’s actually a good thing that it’s happened in a trial game so the coaching staff and Flanagan have that time to make the adjustments.
With all the new players and coaches coming on board during the off season another trial would have been handy
It is what it is ,let’s just hope that this glaring problem disappears come round 1

The Jerker

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I cannot believe the negative attitude of some people in here RE Flanno, the kid has played one season of first grade, is cheap and has a load of potential. I get a lot of us don’t want another disappointing half but we haven’t signed Cleary ffs, same with Burton.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I hope when problems like this arise that Barrett will address them quickly, rather than just blaming the roster and trying to keep it simple like Pay did..
I’m confident that TB will have the knowledge to fix things as they arise
Along with his training staff to also have input
Prepared to back our new coach 100% so early in the piece.
It will be ultra disappointing if we fail again

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With all the new players and coaches coming on board during the off season another trial would have been handy
It is what it is ,let’s just hope that this glaring problem disappears come round 1
I’m worried about Averillo and Flanagan playing together without playing a game together but there’s no other option now. There’s definitely going to be teething problems that’s why I’m not expecting us to play our best footy till the back end of the year.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m worried about Averillo and Flanagan playing together without playing a game together but there’s no other option now. There’s definitely going to be teething problems that’s why I’m not expecting us to play our best footy till the back end of the year.
Yeah agreed....at least we wont (baring injuries) have to put up with Lewis passing it into a support player after they were hit in the tackle as happened in the trial...along with all the other rubbish served up for the last....seasons!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m also worried about practically everything lol
To be honest at this point I’ve got my season membership and just hanging out to go watch our team and support them best I can.
If we show steady improvement and snag a few wins well that’s ok
This club doesn’t deserve to be dwindling at the bottom

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah agreed....at least we wont (baring injuries) have to put up with Lewis passing it into a support player after they were hit in the tackle as happened in the trial...along with all the other rubbish served up for the last....seasons!
I saw enough last night to indicate it’s only a matter of time until it all clicks into place. Injuries and personal form will depend on how long that takes.

They were blowing the cobwebs out for most of last night and still managed a couple of clinical set plays and that’s what got me excited.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
You have to put it into context as that was Flanagan’s first game with a new team as a game managing half back. He’s not going to come in and turn the game on it’s head straight away and it’s unfair to think he will. Judge him half way through the year not on 60 mins of a trial game.
Not to mention he’s 22 and entering only his second full season in the top grade. Anyone expecting instant Dally M performances needs to take a breath and let him settle into a new club and combinations. We likely have a 3/4 new spine this year and it’ll take time to gel.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If u read my earlier post,I missed about 25 mins of game,had to pick a mate up from station,so basing it on what I saw,so if he improved well and good,I would love to see him perform,
Perhaps you should consideryour opinions when judging on half a game then.
All good.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
You guys are aware that wade Graham is probably the best in the league at putting pressure on the kicker?

Flanaghan won't get the same pressure from other teams, his kicking even when he had time still left a lot to be desired

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
You guys are aware that wade Graham is probably the best in the league at putting pressure on the kicker?

Flanaghan won't get the same pressure from other teams, his kicking even when he had time still left a lot to be desired
Agree, he is about the only backrower I've really seen rattle Cronk all game at his peak. Also ref was allowing Sharks to be offside for alot of that contest, Moylon was the biggest culprit.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, he is about the only backrower I've really seen rattle Cronk all game at his peak. Also ref was allowing Sharks to be offside for alot of that contest, Moylon was the biggest culprit.
The last 2 or 3 seasons Graham's really stepped up his kick pressure. He does it every game and he smashes the kicker majority of the time.

I've yet to see any other player replicate his style. Cordner is probably next best and he's not as effective as graham

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The last 2 or 3 seasons Graham's really stepped up his kick pressure. He does it every game and he smashes the kicker majority of the time.

I've yet to see any other player replicate his style. Cordner is probably next best and he's not as effective as graham
Quite a few looked half a second late.

If the FB has to get protected and the half when they have their back turned after passing, then the kicking half needs to be fairly challenged and not after ball has cleared. Some looked marginal at best. Got one penalty out of Sutton. Hooray.

But it was our nemesis Sutton who never believes in giving us suckers a break.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

I believe it's because he was a good half before his positional change and notices alot of things other backrowers do not.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanno said exactly what everyone else knew anyway. Always going to be targeted and understands that. He will get better. Graham on the other hand is a grub and if he has to stoop to having a big mouth and shooting it off at every opportunity he obviously worries about the ability of Flanno and did everything he could to put him off....or he just had the irrits that he did not go back to the bottom feeders....A footballer with ability does not need to use gutter tactics but he hammered him on several occasions but penalized only once....

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I like it that the boys stood up for him, let the opposition know what's in store for them if they continue with that sort of shit.

Go Dogs

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are being very harsh on Flanno.
Yeah, he has some things to work on, he said that himself, but I hardly think it was a failure.
First game at a new club as a 22 year old directing the team around with a hooker and a 5/8 that didnt take much pressure off him.

IT was clunky but we looked better already this year; Jacko played well at 13, Corey Allan was great, Cotric looked good.
Waddell was a mixed bag with handling errors but made some good tackles. Atoni played big minutes and looked good, even Ogden looked good and not so lazy like he did last year.

Let's get some games in before we stick the axe in, yeah?