Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brad Walter
NRL.com Senior Reporter
Sun 28 Feb 2021, 02:01 PM
Brad Walter

New Canterbury halfback Kyle Flanagan is bracing himself to be targeted for special treatment by defenders after a running battle with Cronulla captain Wade Graham in Saturday night’s trial.

Flanagan was the victim of several heavy hits by Graham after kicks and received a penalty on one occasion, which sparked a melee as prop Ofahiki Ogden and other Bulldogs players came to his defence.

The 22-year-old half was also subjected to a verbal onslaught from Graham and other players during Canterbury's 16-12 trial win at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium.

Flanagan said he expected to be singled out more regularly as he is now the main playmaker at Canterbury after playing alongside Luke Keary at Sydney Roosters last season and behind Shaun Johnson and Chad Townsend at the Sharks in 2019.

"He found me," Flanagan said of Graham. "I was a bit stunned there. He was looking for me but he has played State of Origin and he has played for Australia so it is always good going up against him.

"I am the dominant kicker on the team and I can feel the heat coming so I will have to work on that in my own game and spread my kicking game and the workload across the whole team."

Corey Allan, Nick Cotric, Corey Waddell and Jack Hetherington also had their first hit-out for Canterbury and the new combinations looked better as the game went on.

The Bulldogs came back from 12-0 down at half-time after conceding two tries on their right edge, including one from a scrum, as Sharks five-eighth Matt Moylan combined with fullback Will Kennedy to put winger Ronaldo Mulitalo over in the 13th and 26th minutes.

"That was pretty disappointing but overall I thought it was a pretty good game," Flanagan said.

"We had a few attacking sets towards the back end of the first half and it felt pretty comfortable.

"It was pretty quick and the possession in the first 20 minutes was all Cronulla so we had to do a lot of defending."

Canterbury scored three second-half tries to snatch a late 16-12 win but the margin could have been more comfortable if Flanagan had opted for a goal kick in front of the posts after Sharks hooker Blayke Brailey was penalised for breaking early from a scrum.

Instead, the Bulldogs opted to make use of the new rule allowing them to opt to re-pack the scrum 10 metres from the try line but they failed to score.

"If it is 16-16 you would kick for goal to win the game so teams won’t break early and they scored a try off a scrum so I think that will come into play," Flanagan said. "I think we will need to do a lot of work on our attacking scrums."

Cotric left the field in the 60th minute with an ankle injury but he is expected to be fit for the round-one clash with Newcastle on March 12, while the Bulldogs hope five-eighth Jake Averillo overcomes an elbow problem that sidelined him from the trial.

Hooker Jeremy Marshall-King (foot), prop Dylan Napa (knee) and second-rower Raymond Faitala-Mariner (ankle) are racing the clock to be fit for the trip to Newcastle, while England international Luke Thompson is suspended.

"I thought Nick Cotric was pretty good, he had some strong backfield carries and I am still working on my combination with Corey Allan," Flanagan said.

"Hopefully Jake Averillo comes back in the next few weeks for round one but I thought it was a good start."

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I know, but wakeham was a star growing up turning games on its head, appears he has applied himself during the off-season
We need a dominant 7 , with spark , game manager....we'll cogger was a game manager and based on 1 trial has it over flanno by a country mile
You can’t base anything on a trial

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know, but wakeham was a star growing up turning games on its head, appears he has applied himself during the off-season
We need a dominant 7 , with spark , game manager....we'll cogger was a game manager and based on 1 trial has it over flanno by a country mile
You have to put it into context as that was Flanagan’s first game with a new team as a game managing half back. He’s not going to come in and turn the game on it’s head straight away and it’s unfair to think he will. Judge him half way through the year not on 60 mins of a trial game.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s quite refreshing having someone say the specifics of what they need to work on instead of a generic answer. We really need someone to stand up in the 5/8 role to create and take pressure off Flange.
I was thinking the same thing. Not to dump shit on Pay but he would say stuff like we just need to do/be better. The language coming from Flanno and Allans after game interview is in line with what Baz has said all along 'There is alot of work that needs to be done' and to hear players specifying what needs attention is refreshing.

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You have to put it into context as that was Flanagan’s first game with a new team as a game managing half back. He’s not going to come in and turn the game on it’s head straight away and it’s unfair to think he will. Judge him half way through the year not on 60 mins of a trial game.
Mate this the Kennel. The poor bloke will be lowered to Lewis status if he doesn't play like Thurston within 3 games. And this was trail game as well.
The poor bloke has a lot of pressure on him to change our poor offensive record. Even the commenters were saying we were still struggling in that area last night but it is only a trial and Bazz would have told Flanno to keep it to basics and ease your way into the role.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd say the targeting in yesterday's game was because Flanno didn't go back to the sharks, Graham was probably just dirty on that.

Hoping that Cronulla end up with the spoon this year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan is right, he will be targeted as the primary kicker and playmaker. Getting better service, go forward and standing deeper will help. As will Averillo and Allan taking the pressure off now and then... But those adjustments will be made and Flanagan will be fine.

He's a proven player at Cronulla and the Roosters so patience is needed considering all the new signings, a new coach etc.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say the targeting in yesterday's game was because Flanno didn't go back to the sharks, Graham was probably just dirty on that.

Hoping that Cronulla end up with the spoon this year.
The problem is every other team would have seen the pressure and will copy it now. It’s not that hard to make some adjustments to take the heat off though.

I’d love to the Sharks get the spoon. They are slipping back down to where that bottom feeding club belongs.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Did wakeham play,fair dinkum what a disappointment,he just does nothing
Try assist, repeat sets, another try assist if Flanagan grounds the ball. Struggled to get involved in the first 40 but his involvement was up in the next 20...hardly nothing.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Try assist, repeat sets, another try assist if Flanagan grounds the ball. Struggled to get involved in the first 40 but his involvement was up in the next 20...hardly nothing.
well said, the uneducated comments on here seem like they have never laced up a boot

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was a bit nervous out there. Looked a bit stiff early, shanked that line drop out that only went 30m and miss-hit his first kick for goal too. Found it a bit weird he kept going into dummy half. At one stage Meany had to push him away so he could take a run. Not overly concerned though, so early and new team mates, style of play etc.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your missing one important point. Cogger doesnt play for us anymore!! So who cares?