I am optimistic about our season

Status
Not open for further replies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
no it doesnt it just takes some football smarts
I will give you some dree advice mate, this is a public forum, but its also a community of people who spend a lot of time discussing all things bulldogs together and you need to earn peoples respect. If you come on here and start throwing your opinions around and telling people they have no idea, and acting like you know better, you are not going to make a lot of friends.
Id suggest you pull your head in.

bulldogfan1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People here saying our defense was bad because of the track and we wont be playing on such surfaces again.

Well, then surely it made our attack better than what it actually is.

No?

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onward s to next week. At least our O looked better tonight & we ran with more intensity than previous years. If we tweek our D we can be competitive. Without naming names we have 2 forwards who should be moved on and 1 back that has to learn push up in attack.

Imposter

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Our running lines are terrible,hopfeully early days for improvement

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The main question mark before the start of the game was how our spine would go?

Lichaa was ok nothing special. But im confident he will improve.
Foran played well. We know his all class, so no question marks on him.
Now the 2 biggest question marks we had were Frawley and Mbye.
Frawley I thought played well and linked up well with moses and foran. Scored a try and set up 1.
Mbye I thought was great and will only get better was good under the high ball. His improvement was good in attack also. I think we have found our long-term fullback.

As a whole I thought the spine was good and will get better. As a whole I like what I saw from then.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m happy enough with what I saw from last night. If we continue to build, we will make the 8 and be playing really dangerous footy, by then.
Obviously that won’t be enough for some of the more bipolar kennelers, but we looked a lot better than we have under hasler.
I agree with @Gotenks that the bench needs improving. We need impact, we’ve no room for reputations.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mbye annoyed me at times.

The grubber into the corner was completely unnecessary. He had space, he shoulda backed himself or passed it along. His decision making at times is poor... he shoulda played percentages there.

But overall he is killing it at fullback. So much speed to burn and he returns the ball so hard.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Also a reminder Souths came back in 2015 from winning the GF and WCC and flogged the Broncos first round 36-6 and were declared "unbeatable".
Souths finished 7th and got knocked out first finals round and the Broncos were unlucky not to win the GF.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
we are only going to get better, to beat the premiers in the first game of the season would have been a miracle, we still were in a chance till the last try was scored.

Storm were very lucky with their trys and some of our errors.

I enjoyed the game even though we lost by 18 points.
We beat the premiers rd 1 in 09. Last night was un bulldoglike

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Attack was good vs the best defense in the NRL the last few years. Our defense, well it needs work. We have work to do with a few players being in different roles this year, and needing to get used to it. You get combinations in defense as much as you do in attack.
I didn’t post this in earlier threads this year
But I was concerned when all the talk about out off season training was about revamping attack

Whilst that was needed
We did have decent defence last year
And true dogs of war is built around defence

I was concerned Pay would be so focused on improving our attack that defence would be neglected

It appears my thoughts were on the money

Hopefully it’s a work in progress

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
still missing what perrett did though, no playoffs until montoya gets strong enough

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a quick glance of stats from NRL website and all our starting running forwards ran for over 100m RFM and Jacko played 80min
48% possession and only made 10 less tackles then Melbourne
When you look at the Munster break that led to Ado-Carr try(Jacko got burned by Munster) and the second Ado-Carr try when MBye dropped the ball. It’s a 6 point difference. We didn’t get much luck our way (which seems to be the norm for most against the storm) I’m interested and optimistic this week against the roosters as they’re forwards I think are on the way to having to return Uncle Nicks paper bags.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ok i ask you a question, you have certain players who off load and others that just take hit ups, wouldnt you support those player? teddy used to always sniff around woods, mbye was too worried about the next play.
it is all experience, he will improve hopefully
It was his first game at fb, give the guy a break for gods sake!
You cant expect him to be like tabasco after one game.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had a quick glance of stats from NRL website and all our starting running forwards ran for over 100m RFM and Jacko played 80min
48% possession and only made 10 less tackles then Melbourne
When you look at the Munster break that led to Ado-Carr try(Jacko got burned by Munster) and the second Ado-Carr try when MBye dropped the ball. It’s a 6 point difference. We didn’t get much luck our way (which seems to be the norm for most against the storm) I’m interested and optimistic this week against the roosters as they’re forwards I think are on the way to having to return Uncle Nicks paper bags.
Good post. I really dont understand all the people bagging our forwards, saying we are unfit, etc etc. We were playing the defending premiers who are once again the benchmark, and if it wasnt for the few mistakes/missed tackles you mentioned, we were well and truly in the match.
If you think we are unfit, and bad defensively, i hope you watched the parra v panthers game today.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn’t post this in earlier threads this year
But I was concerned when all the talk about out off season training was about revamping attack

Whilst that was needed
We did have decent defence last year
And true dogs of war is built around defence

I was concerned Pay would be so focused on improving our attack that defence would be neglected

It appears my thoughts were on the money

Hopefully it’s a work in progress
I hardly think you can assess our defense on our first game of the year against the best team in the comp for the past several years.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Mbye annoyed me at times.

The grubber into the corner was completely unnecessary. He had space, he shoulda backed himself or passed it along. His decision making at times is poor... he shoulda played percentages there.

But overall he is killing it at fullback. So much speed to burn and he returns the ball so hard.
I disagree. He stepped inside the defender and therefore there was a player between him and his outside men so the pass was not on. The kick was the right idea, it just had a little bit too much weight on it. Would have been an incredible try assist if he pulled it off.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
very positive start to the season. They created momentum and, with an ounce of luck and bit more match fitness, they may well have prevailed. For all those who keep banging the drum on "best defence of the league" last year, I say nonsense. As is known, there are lies, damn lies and statistics. In the last two years the dogs defence has been atrocious. The whole lot were continually back pedalling in defence. Not moving up. Describing it as a sliding defence is a misnomer. Set after set, the dogs defence let the opposition move up-field so far and fast that they were invariably scrambling to defend their own line. By the time the dogs gained possession they were too tired and in a position on the field where they had to work too hard just to clear their line. The tackles so soft the opposition players were never short of puff to snuff out the dogs attack because they were not made to work hard enough when in possession. Even mediocre opposition players were made to look good. One memorable moment was when the entire dogs front row was marched in the tackle back 10 metres by an opponent allowing him to score under the post. Embarrassing. The point is don't get fooled by stats about tries scored against. Its matches won/lost that count. The hallmark of good defence is to make the opposition work hard for field position and to put that little doubt and fear into the minds of opposition players. And on that score this weeks effort was far superior to anything dished out last year.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye at fb exceeded my expectations by a mile with a bit more time around Foran I think he will be a point scoring machine I knew he was quick but he looked dangerous every time he returned the ball

Status
Not open for further replies.