Not open for further replies.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bench strength was a huge issue for us, not convinced about Frawley’s inclusion either.

The other thing that sticks in my mind was did Josh Jackson defend in the centres in that game or was he just out of position? He was caught out several times defending out wide and was beaten for speed.

Mbye surprised us all, fullback could be his true calling & how good was it to see RFM steaming onto balls and play out 80mins and Foran’s direct play/leadership! Promising signs, but gee-wiz we have a tough draw early on... Roosters are licking their wounds, they will be fired up this week and we are travelling from Perth with a shorter turnaround. Huge effort from the lads if they do get up.
No he didn't. I knew he'd be this good at fullback and said so in 2014. You haven't seen nothing yet. He will get way way better. He'll have a couple of shockers but by next season he will be one of the best fullbacks around.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Anyone who is anything but optimistic after our first up loss is expecting way to much, and is being really harsh.
I just watched the game a second time, which i like to do because it takes emotion out of it and i find it easier to make a better judgement of how we went.
These are some things i noticed:
- 3 storm tries came from 3 one on one missed tackles. Two from jackson and one from eastwood. But no one seems to be criticising jackson.
- RFM was easily the best forward on the field and was surely our best on ground. This is a massive plus. He also managed the full 80 mins and didnt look out of puff at any stage. He constantly troubled the storm defense, and as far as i know didnt make a single mistake. This guy will be massive for us this year!!
- Mbye had 3 kicks in general play. One of which was a towering bomb that no one wanted to touch. Its great to finally have a kicking fullback again. He also had 3 really good runs on kick returns. His first touch was all class. He also played a fair amount of five eighth as well. Very solid first outing at fb!! Along with RFM, Mbye will have a massive influence on our marches this year.
- A 4th try was also very lucky. The one where ado-carr snatched the ball from mbye. So considering this try and the 3 that resulted from mussed tackles, we were well and truly in this contest.
- Foran had a great game. He was everywhere and showed no signs of old injuries. He marshalled the troops well and really straightened our attack.
- Our ball movement in attack was a pleasure to watch, and i thought our kicking game was improved now that we have 3 kickers in our spine.
- lichaa didnt overplay his hand. He made some good runs from dummy half, but didnt try and do it every time.
- Frawley made a few mistakes, but was overall really good i thought. A try and a try assist. Plus both of the storm hakves kicked out on the full too.
- Woods had some great offloads and a few good runs.
- Our defense was not terrible, nor were we gassed after 20 mins as some have suggested. I totally disagree with this. But our bench rotation was a little odd. Klemmer played the first 30-33 mins and then came back on with about 14 to go. He should have come off earlier instead of woods.

All in all it was a pretty good first hit out. We have a new look spine, a new look prop and back row, and they all just need a bit of time to gel. Thats all.
I have said this all off season, but the loss of graham and tolman in the middle has really weakened our defense. They would regularly make 70-100 tackles between them. Sure enough the usual people will question this, but i really think this was evident. Personally, and allthough fualalo had a pretty solid game, i would start tolman so that he can plug up the middle for the first 15-20, and then bring fualalo on for a bit of impact.
I know exactly who will shoot this theory down, but i honestly think this would really sure up our defense. Tolman is a workhorse and is surely more mobile then fualalo. I just think it would be a better balance.

Last edited:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No he didn't. I knew he'd be this good at fullback and said so in 2014. You haven't seen nothing yet. He will get way way better. He'll have a couple of shockers but by next season he will be one of the best fullbacks around.
Thanks and agree Freakzilla.
Mbye looks great in space, he’s a genuine speedster. He will be well worth his current pay packet if he continues to improve and becomes an elite FB in the NRL. In fact, we might need to top up his contract in the event he ends up having a Barba-like year... but tough ask to replicate that effort.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thanks and agree Freakzilla.
Mbye looks great in space, he’s a genuine speedster. He will be well worth his current pay packet if he continues to improve and becomes an elite FB in the NRL. In fact, we might need to top up his contract in the event he ends up having a Barba-like year... but tough ask to replicate that effort.
Give me 50% of that 2012 Barba year from Mbye and I will be a very happy man!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone who is anything but optimistic after our first up loss is expecting way to much, and is being really harsh.
I just watched the game a second time, which i like to do because it takes emotion out of it and i find it easier to make a better judgement of how we went.
- 3 storm tries came from 3 one on one missed tackles. Two from jackson and one from eastwood. But no one seems to be criticising jackson.
- RFM was easily the best forward on the field and was surely our best on ground. This is a massive plus. He also managed the full 80 mins and didnt look out of puff at any stage. He constantly troubled the storm defense, and as far as i know didnt make a single mistake. This guy will be massive for us this year!!
- Mbye had 3 kicks in general play. One of which was a towering bomb that no one wanted to touch. Its great to finally have a kicking fullback again. He also had 3 really good runs on kick returns. His first touch was all class. He also played a fair amount of five eighth as well. Very solid first outing at fb!! Along with RFM, Mbye will have a massive influence on our marches this year.
- A 4th try was also very lucky. The one where ado-carr snatched the ball from mbye. So considering this try and the 3 that resulted from mussed tackles, we were well and truly in this contest.
- Foran had a great game. He was everywhere and showed no signs of old injuries. He marshalled the troops well and really straightened our attack.
- Our ball movement in attack was a pleasure to watch, and i thought our kicking game was improved now that we have 3 kickers in our spine.
- lichaa didnt overplay his hand. He made some good runs from dummy half, but didnt try and do it every time.
- Frawley made a few mistakes, but was overall really good i thought. A try and a try assist. Plus both of the storm hakves kicked out on the full too.
- Our defense was not terrible, nor were we gassed after 20 mins as some have suggested. I totally disagree with this. But our bench rotation was a little odd. Klemmer played the first 30-33 mins and then came back on with about 14 to go. He should have come off earlier instead of woods.

All in all it was a pretty good first hit out. We have a new look spine, a new look prop and back row, and they all just need a bit of time to gel. Thats all.
I have said this all off season, but the loss of graham and tolman in the middle has really weakened our defense. They would regularly make 70-100 tackles between them. Sure enough the usual people will question this, but i really think this was evident. Personally, and allthough fualalo had a pretty solid game, i would start tolman so that he can plug up the middle for the first 15-20, and then bring fualalo on for a bit of impact.
I know exactly who will shoot this theory down, but i honestly think this would really sure up our defense. Tolman is a workhorse and is surely more mobile then fualalo. I just think it would be a better balance.
Like your post.
But in my opinion the defensive effort was terrible.
Giving up 6 tries is just not good enough and frankly no way anybody can be confident against the Roosters based on last Saturday and the poor defence.
Yes as you say there were one on one missed tackkes but I thought commitment in defence was lacking.

I liked how the team looked with the ball.
Foran was brilliant and Mybe showed great signs of what is possible with him at fullback.

IF? defense stiffens up and is consistent week in week out they will put themselves in position to win a lot of games because I can see the attack has real potential.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like your post.
But in my opinion the defensive effort was terrible.
Giving up 6 tries is just not good enough and frankly no way anybody can be confident against the Roosters based on last Saturday and the poor defence.
Yes as you say there were one on one missed tackkes but I thought commitment in defence was lacking.

I liked how the team looked with the ball.
Foran was brilliant and Mybe showed great signs of what is possible with him at fullback.

IF? defense stiffens up and is consistent week in week out they will put themselves in position to win a lot of games because I can see the attack has real potential.
When you look at the final scoreline then yes it does look like a bad defensive effort, but our tackle efficiency was 87.4%, so basically it was just those few missed tackles that decided the match.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I agree with most of that except that we have world champion starting props.....

Graham and Tolman were perfect under Des ball but let’s be honest opposition packs didn’t fear our starting props just ask Alvaro

Whilst Tolman experience can still play a part in our campaign this season there’s no place to put him.

13 role has evolved, games changed from your Dallas Johnson, Michael Luck, Shaun Fensom types....you need hard running powerful leg drive players

Defence is attitude and it looked like we placed more emphasis on attack and didn’t want to work hard without and off the ball

Concussion or not that was the worst game I have seen JJ play

Montoya another one that people never mention when he has a shocker dude needs to improve this week

I’m no where near confident of beating the wounded Roosters....I’m more interested in seeing how our defence goes this Friday as oppose to our attack which is the complete opposite of last year lol

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree with most of that except that we have world champion starting props.....

Graham and Tolman were perfect under Des ball but let’s be honest opposition packs didn’t fear our starting props just ask Alvaro

Whilst Tolman experience can still play a part in our campaign this season there’s no place to put him.

13 role has evolved, games changed from your Dallas Johnson, Michael Luck, Shaun Fensom types....you need hard running powerful leg drive players

Defence is attitude and it looked like we placed more emphasis on attack and didn’t want to work hard without and off the ball

Concussion or not that was the worst game I have seen JJ play

Montoya another one that people never mention when he has a shocker dude needs to improve this week

I’m no where near confident of beating the wounded Roosters....I’m more interested in seeing how our defence goes this Friday as oppose to our attack which is the complete opposite of last year lol
I’m liking your realism KiwiDog7, good open and honest assessment. At the end of the day, we all want to see the team do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.