I am ashamed of what I did to my family: Ben Barba's emotional apology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Spot on..it was being under valued.

He was the reason we did so well in 2012 yet that wasn't enough reason for Des to increase his salary.
What is it about My post that you didn't like????
You think his a good guy now and I can't say shit about him?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Although he will always be "the rat" to me it is good to hear he is moving on, his form this year shows he is in a better place. I wonder if he is fully past it though, I think an apology to the Bulldogs club, players and fans would have been a nice touch! We all know we haven't moved on, still looking for his replacement at FB :grinning:

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If he is so ashamed and such a family man, why did he not even marry his wife?

It looks like, from an outsiders perspective, he doesnt put them first.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is ashamed solely because he got found out, for the gambling, the drinking and other alleged indiscretions . He was so homesick that he made sure his contract with us was put aside and he went to the Broncos to be closer to family. His partner has family in Qld too another reason to move back North if they were ever going to make a go of it.

Fast forward about 12 months and then he is shown the door there by Wayne Bennett and promptly comes back to Sydney, to the Shire, where he had the rather dubious connections with the EBC. Let's not forget he had just purchased a home there as well prior to leaving the Bulldogs and as far as we know all is well there and family intact. No sign of any homesickness.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...epic-bender-crew/story-fn2mcuj6-1226585712025

They are proudly known as the Epic Bender Crew, a tight-knit band of party-hard Gen Y mates who binge their way through most weekends.
And just before Christmas last year, Ben Barba decided to join them.
Barba's association with the Cronulla-based group, known locally and online as EBC, provides plenty of clues as why he could no longer be the game's clean-skinned poster boy.

While a painful split with childhood sweetheart, Ainslie Currie, and a gambling habit are the other significant reasons, plenty of drinking and partying have conspired toward Barba's downfall.

Those pastimes are also the driving force behind EBC's charter, with the group known around the Sutherland Shire for its extreme commitment to having a blast.

The link to Barba appears to be Daniel Folkes, the son of former Bulldogs coach Steve Folkes. Daniel Folkes also featured on the short-lived TV show The Shire.

Barba and Folkes were teammates in Canterbury's under-20s team and were photographed together in EBC-themed parties over the Christmas period.

Ben Barba ... stomach ink Source: News Limited

There's also a telling SMS exchange that Folkes posted on his Facebook site, in which Barba pledges to join EBC by getting a tattoo with the group's initials.

"I think it's safe to say you are part of the famous EBC welcome aboard," Folkes texted on December 14 last year.

"That's it, I'm getting the tatt," Barba replied.

Shortly afterwards Folkes posted another picture, this time of a shirtless Barba getting the initials E-B-C inked on to his lower torso.

Todd Greenberg ... daily Barba updates Source: News Limited

A close friend of Barba said the superstar has toned down his partying with EBC since resuming training last month.

"He did spend a bit of time with those guys before and after Christmas," the friend said.

There's no suggestion EBC enjoy anything more sinister than having a good time - for a long time.

Furthermore, Reni Maitua and John Sutton have carved out long careers as members of the Bra Boys, an infinitely more notorious gang.

And in the end, Barba will likely not be cured should he stop drinking or have the EBC tattoo removed.

His problems extend back to the split with Currie, his childhood sweetheart from Mackay and the mother of his two baby daughters.

Barba's association with EBC occurred around the same time he and Currie ended their eight-year relationship. The couple purchased their first home in Caringbah last year, but Barba didn't move out until early last week.

In the first indication that his life was falling apart, Barba requested a few days away from training last week.

Canterbury boss Todd Greenberg gave him the green light and was receiving daily updates about Barba's welfare from Currie.

"Moving out was a big thing," the friend said.

"Suddenly Ben was on his own and I don't think he expected it to be so hard without the kids."

Friends are confident that Barba will be restored once he and Currie patch up their differences.

But he also has deeper demons to confront, including a worrying gambling habit.

While Greenberg dismissed suggestions that Barba had fallen into debt, Bulldogs insiders have been concerned for some time about the proportion of his salary that's frittered away through TAB terminals and poker machines.

"He bets on the horses," an inner-city publican said.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Regardless Ben Barba is a shit ****... Never forget him knocking back a little girls gift (a bag of lollies) at the 'Sharks v Dogs game in 2013 central coast' because quote "he doesn't eat them". He could have easily said thank you etc but nope, hes all about himself and never will be a man of the fans.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Well a lot of people do dumb shit..and they genuinely regret it.. As for Barba..if he's still behaving himself in 5 years time..then I'll come around to believing he is remorseful and has taken ownership of his past actions..but time is the key for me..it's the big test..

I for one hope he's recovered..and stays on the straight and narrow..not just for his sake..but most importantly..for his young family's sake..

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a better fullback then hoppa that's for sure. I would take a 2012 form barba over hoppa any day of the week.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what will happen with babs if sharks lose? Will he go of the rails or the pressure is off

Status
Not open for further replies.