Opinion Hypothetically... if our coach changed tomorrow?

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hypothetically.. if the NRL magically made some kind of new initiative and forced the bottom teams to swap coaches with the top teams for the rest of the year to make the season more interesting what would happen?

Say we got Bellamy tomorrow... wonder if he could make us a top 8 team?

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hypothetically.. if the NRL magically made some kind of new initiative and forced the bottom teams to swap coaches with the top teams for the rest of the year to make the season more interesting what would happen?

Of course not. Remember when Robinson had a shit squad, I think it was 2012, the Rorters finished 12th
McGuire who was regarded as a good coach has struggled with the garbage Tigers squad
Bennett was a disaster with a crap Knights squad
As good a coach as Bellamy is he wouldn't be able to do shit with this squad.
It's all about the quality of the squad. The worst coach in the world would still win coaching the Panthers, Rorters, Souths, etc

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It'd be fun to see what Bellamy would do but Barrett's going to be here at least until half way through next year at the worst. I've always blamed the players for our performances. I don't think we're good enough 1-17.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Of course not. Remember when Robinson had a shit squad, I think it was 2012, the Rorters finished 12th
McGuire who was regarded as a good coach has struggled with the garbage Tigers squad
Bennett was a disaster with a crap Knights squad
As good a coach as Bellamy is he wouldn't be able to do shit with this squad.
It's all about the quality of the squad. The worst coach in the world would still win coaching the Panthers, Rorters, Souths, etc
good point

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It'd be fun to see what Bellamy would do but Barrett's going to be here at least until half way through next year at the worst. I've always blamed the players for our performances. I don't think we're good enough 1-17.
I agree, I don't think our 17 is very good at all

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can't win a motorbike race on a bicycle. So I think that even if we swapped to a top rated coach tomorrow they'd still take time to improve players.

And the other thing is that most footballers aren't geniuses. They take time to learn to implement new game plans. Take Bellamys' origin coaching career for example. Had a terrible record there because it takes time to implement successful systems. I hope thats the issue for Barrett right now and we see some form emerge as the players start getting the timing right on our plays.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If each coach brought over their spine I am prepared to say yes. That assumes also the coach gets more out of the underperforming players in our roster like floppa, whacko jacko etc.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't win a motorbike race on a bicycle. So I think that even if we swapped to a top rated coach tomorrow they'd still take time to improve players.

And the other thing is that most footballers aren't geniuses. They take time to learn to implement new game plans. Take Bellamys' origin coaching career for example. Had a terrible record there because it takes time to implement successful systems. I hope thats the issue for Barrett right now and we see some form emerge as the players start getting the timing right on our plays.
Good point, Barrett is a leaner, I say bite the bullet, give him 3 full years

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the top 4 teams coaches working together couldn't do shit with these duds.
The problem is what quality players can we recruit? We need to fix our spine....we still need a gun fullback, hooker and halfback....we can’t seem to be able to recruit the right players....Corey Allen is not the fullback we want and I really can’t see Flanagan being our long term halfback.....there is not enough quality players in the spine....and yet those muppets from the nrl want to bring another team in the comp....

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The problem is what quality players can we recruit? We need to fix our spine....we still need a gun fullback, hooker and halfback....we can’t seem to be able to recruit the right players....Corey Allen is not the fullback we want and I really can’t see Flanagan being our long term halfback.....there is not enough quality players in the spine....and yet those muppets from the nrl want to bring another team in the comp....
I can see why we recruitedAllen, he was a solid quality player last yr at souths and then went onto play origin, he's playing no where nears well as last yr, but no one in the team is.

I think Flanagan has potential, and he isn't playing well but we've got to give him time, and with the way we're playing at the moment combined with his lack of experience/young age , it all combines to make it hard assignment .. plus he probably feels some responsibility to bring the dogs back to being competitive..
If he shows little improvement all year then I think everyone might start to doubt whether he can live up to expectations.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Until we get an elite player who can break a game open for us like the top four we have no chance.
And our club has not adjusted to how the 6 again works. Our boys are stuffed 40 min into a game and game over. Top 4 know how to have a quick play the ball and earn 6 again we dont. Smart coaches have adjusted others haven't.
We can only hope we beat a team at our level this year not much else which is sad.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Until we get an elite player who can break a game open for us like the top four we have no chance.
And our club has not adjusted to how the 6 again works. Our boys are stuffed 40 min into a game and game over. Top 4 know how to have a quick play the ball and earn 6 again we dont. Smart coaches have adjusted others haven't.
We can only hope we beat a team at our level this year not much else which is sad.
Thought we were supposed to be the fittest in a long time..
It looks like they prepared for the new rules and increased speed of game by getting the players to lose a bit of weight?

I think some of our players look like they've lost a bit too much weight

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
God couldn't change things for us ,think it will be along year and hopefully we start seeing better improvement at the end of the year at least , think we are going to be patience Trent has only been in the job a little while we are signing players , Burton is going to improve our team a lot with his kicking and support play game alone something that we haven't had a lot off , we have a lot of players off contract so if we buy some new players but we also have to remember if there is a new team coming soon so it will be some big competition and also we have to buy the right ones not just fill in that's what will make us or break us.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

Give him a few years to recruit some talent, and develop our juniors - sure; he could do it. So can Barrett.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see why we recruitedAllen, he was a solid quality player last yr at souths and then went onto play origin, he's playing no where nears well as last yr, but no one in the team is.

I think Flanagan has potential, and he isn't playing well but we've got to give him time, and with the way we're playing at the moment combined with his lack of experience/young age , it all combines to make it hard assignment .. plus he probably feels some responsibility to bring the dogs back to being competitive..
If he shows little improvement all year then I think everyone might start to doubt whether he can live up to expectations.
Apart from the Broncos, look at the teams we are playing. Up until fatigue kills us in the final 20 minutes, we are potentially still in the games.

This is a hard start for a second last side. If we keep learning as we go, we should find some wins when we finally come up against softer sides - as long as we don't develop a loser mentality along the way.

A few wins, and we could gain enough confidence- and learn a few tricks to be competitive against the top sides next time around.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Apart from the Broncos, look at the teams we are playing. Up until fatigue kills us in the final 20 minutes, we are potentially still in the games.

This is a hard start for a second last side. If we keep learning as we go, we should find some wins when we finally come up against softer sides - as long as we don't develop a loser mentality along the way.

A few wins, and we could gain enough confidence- and learn a few tricks to be competitive against the top sides next time around.
Yeh but in saying that we didn't really play well vs the Broncs. One of our worst performances in as long as I can remember