How much should we offer Moses ?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Munster and Hunt now re-signed the Tigers and Dolphins are going to make a big play for Mitchell Moses. They say he's on 900K at the Eels. I was hoping we may get him for a MIL a season from 2024 but looks like it would take more than that now and is he really worth it ? Didn't look so in the finals this year.

But we really need a proven dominant 7 with a good short kicking game more than anything. Only other option could be Hastings. Sullivan is like BBO. Great running game but doesn't seem to have a real kicking or passing game.

I'd offer Moses 1.1M and Hastings 800K then see what happens.

For 2024 if we could get Moses, Chrichton and Leniu I think we'd be a premiership contender. With Hastings not so much.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt he leaves Parra, especially after making the GF. I wouldn't be disappointed if he re-signs. He's not worth what they'll pay him.
If Munster is on 1.2m than paying Moses 1.1m would seem absurd...however what are our choices? This is what happens when there is a lack of quality half backs available....players like Moses will be offered ridiculous money

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Moses is not a million dollar player. Against the cowboys when they were chasing the win he started shanking his long kicks.

At 700k he isn’t too bad. But with inflated playmaker market at the moment he’d go for a mill minimum. He would also need an experienced controlling half next to him.

It’s literally slim pickings for the 7. Cleary, daylight, Dce, Hughes, walker, Hynes, hunt.

Luckily the way the game is going the fullback is the play maker or the game changer. And there are plenty of them around.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With Munster and Hunt now re-signed the Tigers and Dolphins are going to make a big play for Mitchell Moses. They say he's on 900K at the Eels. I was hoping we may get him for a MIL a season from 2024 but looks like it would take more than that now and is he really worth it ? Didn't look so in the finals this year.

But we really need a proven dominant 7 with a good short kicking game more than anything. Only other option could be Hastings. Sullivan is like BBO. Great running game but doesn't seem to have a real kicking or passing game.

I'd offer Moses 1.1M and Hastings 800K then see what happens.

For 2024 if we could get Moses, Chrichton and Leniu I think we'd be a premiership contender. With Hastings not so much.

Thoughts ?
I've been on board for Moses but he's starting to sound like he'll be too expensive for what he offers, in saying that at least our money will be allocated to at least 3 of 4 spine positions. I guess Hastings mightn't be a bad option given he'd be a lot cheaper and might surprise us in semi finals as a potential big game player. Think he went well in his Super League grand final run. I'd hope we could get him for $650k-$700k per season though rather than $800k.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is not the way. We need to work with what we HAVE, not rely on imagining what we could get. The demise of the great Bulldogs club since 2015 has been first and foremost because of spending too much money on the wrong players.

We now have CC, the most sought after prospect in coaching. Let's give him some time with what we HAVE, and a bit of room to try and get a few additional players at good value. The team for 2023 is already looking stronger, Kiks, Mahoney, Burton, Fox, King, TPJ, Thompson, Jackson, RFM, Sutton are all at the minimum capable first graders, most of them have the ability to be elite, or already are elite. Averillo, Alamoti, Kiraz, Topine, are all still youngsters who have already shown class at NRL level, or promise to. Our NSW Cup team made the GF! Let's see what CC can do with what we HAVE, and who he considers good value for bringing in and filling the gaps in the squad. We need to get out of the cycle of paying players good money because we are trying to prove to them that we are a team worth playing for and instead get into the cycle where players come to us to prove that they are worth paying good money to stay here.

A big development program with clear pathways is an important part of the system, and that is well under way. Signing someone like Moses for $1.1M is antithetical to what is being built. We shouldn't be doing it, and it is dumb to be talking about it.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Moses is not a million dollar player. Against the cowboys when they were chasing the win he started shanking his long kicks.

At 700k he isn’t too bad. But with inflated playmaker market at the moment he’d go for a mill minimum. He would also need an experienced controlling half next to him.

It’s literally slim pickings for the 7. Cleary, daylight, Dce, Hughes, walker, Hynes, hunt.

Luckily the way the game is going the fullback is the play maker or the game changer. And there are plenty of them around.
i think he played on no sleep watching his wife give birth over face time & also his grand mother passed in the same week..

Last edited:

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not the way. We need to work with what we HAVE, not rely on imagining what we could get. The demise of the great Bulldogs club since 2015 has been first and foremost because of spending too much money on the wrong players.

We now have CC, the most sought after prospect in coaching. Let's give him some time with what we HAVE, and a bit of room to try and get a few additional players at good value. The team for 2023 is already looking stronger, Kiks, Mahoney, Burton, Fox, King, TPJ, Thompson, Jackson, RFM, Sutton are all at the minimum capable first graders, most of them have the ability to be elite, or already are elite. Averillo, Alamoti, Kiraz, Topine, are all still youngsters who have already shown class at NRL level, or promise to. Our NSW Cup team made the GF! Let's see what CC can do with what we HAVE, and who he considers good value for bringing in and filling the gaps in the squad. We need to get out of the cycle of paying players good money because we are trying to prove to them that we are a team worth playing for and instead get into the cycle where players come to us to prove that they are worth paying good money to stay here.

A big development program with clear pathways is an important part of the system, and that is well under way. Signing someone like Moses for $1.1M is antithetical to what is being built. We shouldn't be doing it, and it is dumb to be talking about it.
so was it dumb that the club was willing to pay 900k for ben hunt if he became available?

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

We haven't had a decent 7 for years though. It's such an important position and a decent 7 would help develop Burton much quicker also. I was hoping BBO would kick on this year but didn't seem to happen. Looks like Wakeham is leaving and Flanagan just doesn't have the natural skills it seems to offer much in attack. Hayward still too young. If we want to go anywhere in the next couple of years looks like we definitely need to go to market for a 7. We have a tonne of cap space for 2024. We should finally use it for the right positions (spine)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Price will be too high, Eel already at 1m. You'd have to offer 1.2-1.3m to have a chance.