How much should we offer Moses ?

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So many people getting a hard on over Moses when he probably won't even be available. Parra will do everything they can to re-sign him and he's given no indication he wants to leave.

I also can't see a defensive coach like Ciraldo wanting a turnstyle like Moses, or Gus wanting to pay huge money for him. Which is why he's looking at other options.
The hard-on for Moses is after we have failed to get Munster or Hunt.....

How many more top halves do we want to miss out on because we are unwilling to offer more than 500k?

Just like we paid big bickies for Mahoney, we will have to pay for the halfback. It's not a bad thing.... most premiers in the last 20years had their halfback as one of (if not the only) marquee player in the squad.

We see to be the only team that wants to pay 800k to a number of forwards but keep halfback money to under 600k.

And its now 18years since our last premiership.......and counting.....

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Moses does not strike me as someone who would want to be a Bulldog.

His attitude on the field stinks, he bitches and moans to refs and sulks when things go against him.
So exactly like our fans ?

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neither of those guys will get you into finals.
The club has already put blind faith in Burton we can't afford to neglect the halfback spot while Burton "unlocks" himself.

With regards to the money.....people seem to think if we get a high profile player on big coin we are stuck with him.... no one can hold a gun to the club and force them to extend a contract. Just sign up a quality half that we need for 2 years, get us into finals, let the young guys and club experience finals again and if that half doesn't seem to be the one to deliver a premiership, punt him and get someone even more expensive or at least have your young pups aspire to beat the one you have rather than think bearing Flanno is worthy of a first grade spot.
Burton will get us into finals. You overpay for someone you will cop it next year when you want to pay for another off contract star, we also will have our youngsters that will need better deals. We don't have an endless money pit, you need to spend the money wisely and paying a 7th at best halfback a million plus isn't smart business. Glad he'll resign for Parra.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There you go. I'm glad you mentioned it, coz I suspected it....

You would rather stick with Flanno on 500k and fail to make finals rather than pay someone like Moses around 1M for 2 years and just about guarantee finals in those 2 years....

That's where we differ. The way I see it, we are currently overpaying Flanno by 300k. Even if you think Moses at 1M is 300k over his worth, you know inside you he will elevate this team and we will be in the top 8.

We have misses out on Munster and Hunt and we keep coming up with excuses everytime Cleary, DCE or Hughes come off contract. If we keep burying our head in the sands, we will be stuck with a Flanno type and have to waste our salary cap $$ on forwards due to the cap floor.
I have no issue paying Cleary,Hughes, Hynes (this was the real howler) a million plus. It's Moses, he is the wrong type to sell a good chunk of the salary cap. If you want to sign one of those 3 at 1.2 million no issues, they are worth every cent, they perform when it counts, you could add Munster in too. Those are the types you sell the farm for.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like who? Wakeham? We all waited 4 or 5 years for Wakeham who had massive wraps on him to be first grade ready. When he finally got to first grade he delivered Jack. We need a quality halfback and we need it now. The promising juniors you want Ciraldo to develop will be able to learn a lot from the quality half we have. Ciraldo doesn’t just have a magic wand.
How about we wait and see if Ciraldo can. You don't lose talent these kids have talent. All for signing a top level halfback, but not Moses. Does nothing when it counts, you want to watch his Origin performance again?

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton will get us into finals. You overpay for someone you will cop it next year when you want to pay for another off contract star, we also will have our youngsters that will need better deals. We don't have an endless money pit, you need to spend the money wisely and paying a 7th at best halfback a million plus isn't smart business. Glad he'll resign for Parra.
7th at best halfback... got me laughing hard bro

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
7th at best halfback... got me laughing hard bro
Realistically and arguably he is right. Reynolds, Cleary, Hughes, Hynes, Hunt, and DCE are premiership winners or have excelled at the highest level SOO/Aus or been in GF's. I cant put Moses in front of these.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Realistically and arguably he is right. Reynolds, Cleary, Hughes, Hynes, Hunt, and DCE are premiership winners or have excelled at the highest level SOO/Aus or been in GF's. I cant put Moses in front of these.
Reynolds is a hasbeen, for the last two seasons he has played like a broken man. Hardly put two good back to back games together bro.
Hunt had a good first half of the season but then fell off like the Dragons. He played unbelievably in the QLD team at 9 but not at 7 and isn't even in the conversation for the 7 jersey at rep level.
DCE playing on old legs, struggles for consistency and even his good games aren't of 2-3 season ago.

Hynes has played his first season at 7 and won Dally M but he could also be a one hit wonder at this point. Funnily enough I thought his halves partner in Moylan didn't get the credit he deserved and all the accolades kept going to Molyan.

Cleary, Best player in thr NRL hands down. No argument.

Hughes, definitely one of the best halves but also playing in a spine consisting of Munster, Harry Grant, Brandon Smith and Ryan Papenhausen. Add to that the world class forward pack .. it would be hard not to be successful in that system.

Moses makes the top 3 for what he can offer currently. Theres good reason why Brisbane and the Storm met with Moses before he re-signed with ParraScum.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds is a hasbeen, for the last two seasons he has played like a broken man. Hardly put two good back to back games together bro.
Hunt had a good first half of the season but then fell off like the Dragons. He played unbelievably in the QLD team at 9 but not at 7 and isn't even in the conversation for the 7 jersey at rep level.
DCE playing on old legs, struggles for consistency and even his good games aren't of 2-3 season ago.

Hynes has played his first season at 7 and won Dally M but he could also be a one hit wonder at this point. Funnily enough I thought his halves partner in Moylan didn't get the credit he deserved and all the accolades kept going to Molyan.

Cleary, Best player in thr NRL hands down. No argument.

Hughes, definitely one of the best halves but also playing in a spine consisting of Munster, Harry Grant, Brandon Smith and Ryan Papenhausen. Add to that the world class forward pack .. it would be hard not to be successful in that system.

Moses makes the top 3 for what he can offer currently. Theres good reason why Brisbane and the Storm met with Moses before he re-signed with ParraScum.
I would have DCE, Hunt and even Reynolds before Moses based purley on what they have done and are still capable of. I suggested earlier this year if Parra dont win the comp we should go after Moses with the angle that we are coming towards a premiership window and Parras is closing.

Like I said he is arguably behind those other 7's, its debatable.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
It doesn't matter....
We are currently a club under development.
We need players that will elevate us to top 4 and then we inject 1 or 2 key players who can take us to a premiership.

Moses has the ability to transform this team and have us playing finals. Whether he can win us a premiership is debatable.

Get him for a couple of seasons (even at 1M) and then look to replace him if you aren't convinced he can deliver.

Sit on your laurels now, and it will be another few years of misery without finals....
you not going to pay 1mill on the hope of it working. You are also not going to throw your salary cap out of whack also.
can see where you are coming from but its a big no for me. failed at origin and failed in the GF and every big stage he has been on.
very good club player no doubt but he cant win a comp

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm so fucking over this shit, every year i think were gonna be a top 8 team and here we are since 2017, we haven't developed or bought a proper halfback. We should have at least signed either Hynes, Reynolds, Townsend when they were off-contract last year.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think most agree cleary is the best 7 in the comp. There is a lot of others who come after him that are very good. Moses is right there with them for me. Hughes might be one that you could say is above him though as someone else said with Munster papen grant it’s not fair to compare. They are all arguably the best in their position (papen maybe not with Tommy or teddy on their day but still fucking elite).

I’d take moses over Reynolds, hunt and dce. Age is a huge factor there for some. Injuries for others. Regardless though dce is on what 1.2? Hunt been on that too and now due to age going back closer to 1? Reynolds would of been a decent wage and is a massive injury risk and literally on his last legs (no question from me what he offers when healthy he would be the 7 I would of loved 3-4 years ago)

Anyway. None of these guys are remotely realistic. Munster, hunt, Hughes all just extended. Dce is manly boy and I’d personally prefer we avoid that. Massive drama. Reynolds is contracted and last legs at ponies.

Blokes like cleary, dearden, hynes, walker, Townsend etc aren’t going anywhere.

Moses maybe an option, I’d be very happy but doubt it.

The only other one who could provide what we need is keary. That said he is one head knock away from retirement and that to me is just time the way he plays (great player).

The fact so many excited about Sullivan says more about how much Flanagan sucks than how good he is [emoji23]

Our best shot if Moses fails is to go and get George Williams back to aus if he’s interested. He worked well at raiders (prior to homesick shit) and he is exactly type 7 we need.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think most agree cleary is the best 7 in the comp. There is a lot of others who come after him that are very good. Moses is right there with them for me. Hughes might be one that you could say is above him though as someone else said with Munster papen grant it’s not fair to compare. They are all arguably the best in their position (papen maybe not with Tommy or teddy on their day but still fucking elite).

I’d take moses over Reynolds, hunt and dce. Age is a huge factor there for some. Injuries for others. Regardless though dce is on what 1.2? Hunt been on that too and now due to age going back closer to 1? Reynolds would of been a decent wage and is a massive injury risk and literally on his last legs (no question from me what he offers when healthy he would be the 7 I would of loved 3-4 years ago)

Anyway. None of these guys are remotely realistic. Munster, hunt, Hughes all just extended. Dce is manly boy and I’d personally prefer we avoid that. Massive drama. Reynolds is contracted and last legs at ponies.

Blokes like cleary, dearden, hynes, walker, Townsend etc aren’t going anywhere.

Moses maybe an option, I’d be very happy but doubt it.

The only other one who could provide what we need is keary. That said he is one head knock away from retirement and that to me is just time the way he plays (great player).

The fact so many excited about Sullivan says more about how much Flanagan sucks than how good he is [emoji23]

Our best shot if Moses fails is to go and get George Williams back to aus if he’s interested. He worked well at raiders (prior to homesick shit) and he is exactly type 7 we need.
I'd be very happy with Williams. Liked him at Raiders and liked what I saw against Samoa the other day....

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
BRO you’re lost … you sound stupid now.
you are the one that wants to pay upwards of a million plus to a halfback that has no idea how to win big games. Awful in finals, awful in origin. It doesn’t help us one single bit and there goes our salary cap. You can bet your bottom dollar clubs will be offering Burton overs to leave, you need money to satisfy these types. This isn’t just Burton either. You are wanting to wreck our cap, it’s taken years for our Cap to be in a healthy situation

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
you are the one that wants to pay upwards of a million plus to a halfback that has no idea how to win big games. Awful in finals, awful in origin. It doesn’t help us one single bit and there goes our salary cap. You can bet your bottom dollar clubs will be offering Burton overs to leave, you need money to satisfy these types. This isn’t just Burton either. You are wanting to wreck our cap, it’s taken years for our Cap to be in a healthy situation
Without a game managing and controlling half I dont know what MORE people expect from Burton. If we dont get a good half back to play alongside Burton it will also hamper his development.

We need to find a good halfback from somewhere and quick or it'll not just continue hurting the team but your prized recruit in Burton.

I never said Moses was our one and only answer, I merely said he was a good option from whats available. Another season or god forbid another two seasons of a 7 like Flanno and all this will have been worth nothing.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah but the successful teams spend a fair bit of the cap on the spine and then build around that.. take Melbourne for example, top quality at 1,6,7,9 and surrounded by other average players in their positions.. like do you really rate Melbourne’s wingers (Meaney and Coates) or centres (Reimis Smith and Justin Olam) as top 10 in their positions?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm so fucking over this shit, every year i think were gonna be a top 8 team and here we are since 2017, we haven't developed or bought a proper halfback. We should have at least signed either Hynes, Reynolds, Townsend when they were off-contract last year.
I think next year will be the last year we're not expected to make the 8 under Gus.

Townsend was labelled one of the worst buys of the preseason going into the season when considering what Cowboy had to pay (I would of been outraged if we signed him for what Cowboy paid, but he's worked out for them).

Reynolds body is broken (I also was against signing him at the time) but he probably would of been decent, by the end of the season people back flipped on their opinion of Rabbit letting him go (and rightly so). I also think we would of had to pay more than Bronco.

Hynes is probably the one that got away but Sharks were more appealing at the time so you'd have to add a couple 100k to get him here (still would of been good value in hindsight).

I see halfback being a pretty big issue for us moving forward, but we can get the rest of the team right so we're more appealing when there's an opportunity to get someone elite/quality (and hopefully we can develop one before then).

Jahn Osiata

New Pup
Reaction score
I think next year will be the last year we're not expected to make the 8 under Gus.

Townsend was labelled one of the worst buys of the preseason going into the season when considering what Cowboy had to pay (I would of been outraged if we signed him for what Cowboy paid, but he's worked out for them).

Reynolds body is broken (I also was against signing him at the time) but he probably would of been decent, by the end of the season people back flipped on their opinion of Rabbit letting him go (and rightly so). I also think we would of had to pay more than Bronco.

Hynes is probably the one that got away but Sharks were more appealing at the time so you'd have to add a couple 100k to get him here (still would of been good value in hindsight).

I see halfback being a pretty big issue for us moving forward, but we can get the rest of the team right so we're more appealing when there's an opportunity to get someone elite/quality (and hopefully we can develop one before then).
Shark*