News How Do You Expect To Win : Stephen Crichton's Blunt Assessment Of Canterbury’s Criticism Ahead Of Career Defining Move

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He will falter next year when the standards are set by Burton, RFM and Reed lmao.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nah bro, the Kennel know better! Keyboard warriors that wouldn’t last 30 seconds at a dogs training session.
What’s the correlation between fat
Kebab eating lebos and professional footballers who gave up the 11th worst defensive effort of all time?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Young enough to still be hungry? Who knows. He’s done everything in the game bar a state of origin win, which should come with time.

we’ll see how it goes. It’s easy to get motivated when you’re doing well and you’re working towards something. It’s not easy to get up again after you’ve done nothing but get hammered and lose. I don’t think he’s ever been to a place like ours. Hope he turns out well. if nothing else, it’ll be a huge character building exercise for him
Have to agree.SC has played all his league playing life in a highly successful, top of the tree system. It will be a massive challenge to suddenly leave that and start toiling with a currently unsuccessful club and bunch of players who are used to losing. If he can master that aspect, he has the ability to be the catalyst for helping our club turn things around and ensure his place as a Bulldog great. If he can influence others, especially including Burton, to consistently play their best, and himself, then he will leave a legacy as a Bulldogs immortal :grinning:

Looking forward to seeing him in blue and white and our club start the journey of pulling itself off the bottom and become winners once again.

Last edited:

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's actually not the stars (Crighton) that lift the team....

It's the lesser known players that can lift and motivate the players around them.

Guys like Preston who was a nobody prior to this season, yet players around him would have gained confidence watching him go well and allow them to ride the wave.

It's happened with the Broncos and Billy Walters. He was rubbish prior this season and easily the weakest link at start of season. But he improved out of sight and it rubbed off on the rest of his teammates. Now he's one of the better hookers in the game and key to their spine success.
Billy Walters lifting the broncos? Ok let’s pretend that Adam Reynolds is just sitting there watching.

Stars like Reece Walsh and Adam Reynolds are the main factors behind broncos success. If Billy Walters dad wasn’t a coach he wouldn’t even be in the team

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
100% we regressed because of our horrific injury toll. It’s what started the rot. We didn’t have enough depth and copped injuries to our most experienced and talented players. At one stage we had about 8 players of the 17 who had less than 12 NRL games to their name.
We basically played with our Cup team for half the year and finished 15th - in context, not the worst season for us, there’s some optimism there and drawing the line in the sand on standards, publicly, will go a long way to achieving our goals

MOVE.80

M-Power
Reaction score
PENRITH STAR STEPHEN CRICHTON ON BULLDOGS, TELLING TEAMMATES ABOUT CANTERBURY DEAL

Via Telegraph Sport
By Fatima Kdouh

When it comes to high energy and positive vibes, few sides do it as well as the Panthers. But this week’s vibe will be a little different as the end draws near for one of their best.
Putting pen to paper on a lucrative deal at Canterbury was an agonising decision for Penrith star Stephen Crichton, but still easier than breaking the news to his close friend and teammate Brian To’o.
Not even the conversation Crichton had with coach Ivan Cleary after signing a four-year deal with the Bulldogs in January was as tough.
The revelation comes as Crichton, who is still only 22 years old, has also left the door ajar for
Crichton and To’o didn’t come through Penrith’s junior system at the same time but their paths to the NRL merged in late 2018, and the dynamic outside back duo have been inseparable since.
That was until the Bulldogs came knocking with an offer the two-time premiership winner could not refuse – $3.3 million dollars and dibs on the fullback jumper in 2024.
“It was pretty hard (to tell the boys). The hardest was Bizza (To’o), I told him first,” Crichton said.
“He and his wife were pretty emotional.
“It shows how much our friendship means to him. We won’t be around each other as much but our friendship will still be there. But it motivates me to train harder and finish on a high with the boys.”
When the tears dried up, the emotions were replaced with a sense of acceptance but only to re-emerge in the lead-up to Friday’s preliminary final against Melbourne at Accor Stadium.
While the high energy and positive vibes the Panthers are synonymous for are still there, the week has been tinged with an uncharacteristic sombre feel at the foot of the mountains.
The reality that the Panthers are potentially 80 minutes away from farewelling not one but two of the club’s favourite Samoan sons, in Crichton and Bondi bound Spencer Leniu, is hitting hard.
“Reality has slowly started to hit us now actually,” To’o said.
“We’ve started to talk about it too so yeah, it’s hitting us.
“But we want to take it day by day and make every second we still have together count. I mean, we’re really close so we will still see each other off the field.
“But yeah, it’s still a bit emotional. I’m so happy for him though. I’m so proud of the man he has become and how he’s developed in his career … as sad as we are, to see him move onto bigger things, I’m proud of him. I can’t wait to see what he does in the near future.
“Obviously, I’m going to miss him (Crichton).”
A ‘sad’ Crichton has pledged to do everything in his power to ensure he leaves the club on a high and help deliver a historic three-straight premierships to the club before he walks away.
“(I’m) pretty sad … Yeah, yeah I think it has sunk in the last couple weeks … knowing it was my last home game (against Warriors), last few games with the boys, the last training sessions,” Crichton said.
“So I’m just trying to give it my all, give it my best so I can leave on a high. It would mean a lot.”
Crichton is adamant he has ‘no regrets’ about joining former Panthers assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo at Belmore but didn’t rule out a career swan song at Penrith.
“No, there are no regrets there,” Crichton said.
“I made the decision and I have put it to the side. I’ll worry about that stuff when that time comes. Right now, I want to focus fully and mentally on where I am and what I have to do to give my best for the team.
“I haven’t even spoken about that (coming back in the future) but hopefully when the time comes it might be pretty good too.
“But I can’t make the decision right now. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.”
Ciraldo, who was a key architect in Penrith’s title success, has come under fire at Belmore with the rookie coach’s physical approach at training making headlines last month.
There were numerous reports some Canterbury players took exception to the long gruelling days under Ciraldo. One player reportedly walked out on the club after being forced to wrestle teammates as punishment for turning up late to training.
To’o knows the kind of success Penrith have experienced takes hard work, and believes Crichton will buy into Ciraldo’s uncompromising approach.
“He’ll go all out for that (Bulldogs) jersey as well,” To’o said.
To’o also backed his teammate to be Canterbury’s new fullback next season despite legendary custodian Billy Slater urging Ciraldo to leave Crichton in the centres.
“Whether he’s a centre or fullback at Canterbury, the ball is in his court. He has all the attributes to be a fullback or centre. He can do both, no doubt. He’s got the skill level, he’s got the height, he’s strong as well and he’s pretty smart as well, surprisingly,” To’o laughed.
“He’s definitely got all the attributes to do a full-back’s work. Wherever Ciro (Ciraldo) puts him, he’ll kill it.”

Too many articles on this guy, should we start to worry now?? :tonguewink:

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Critta is a leader. If you notice prayers after games are usually led him. For a 22 year old in Pacific culture this means something. Critta will bring a lot to our club.
If we sign Luai, Koloamatangi and Fotuaika, it's over for every club.

Hopefully, we sign Twal too. Suits our culture, lebanese and is always seen in Greenacre and Bankstown. Great defender and gets good metres. Handy player.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No no no no no.

I remember saying before the 2021 season how much I was looking forward to it. Said something like “I will guarantee one thing, we will be much better than the year before”.

Since then I refuse to look forward to the next year.
Exactly, I am not optimistic about 24 either. Unless we magically get forwards. We are going to be a defensive nightmare that will turn Ciraldo grey.

However, I do believe we will be a lot better with the ball. Our attack will improve and the back 5 will be more balanced, the work load will be spread across multiple players.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, I am not optimistic about 24 either. Unless we magically get forwards. We are going to be a defensive nightmare that will turn Ciraldo grey.

However, I do believe we will be a lot better with the ball. Our attack will improve and the back 5 will be more balanced, the work load will be spread across multiple players.
Lol. We definitely sped up his greying process.

I’m only a supporter and I’m blaming these palookas for the majority of my grey hairs the last few years.

Them and the kids

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Hopefully, we sign Twal too. Suits our culture, lebanese and is always seen in Greenacre and Bankstown. Great defender and gets good metres. Handy player.
I’ve seen him at Church a few times. After he scored his first try I went up to him after Mass and congratulated him. He’s very tall in real life. Tapped him on his shoulder after I shook his hand, felt like concrete

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
PENRITH STAR STEPHEN CRICHTON ON BULLDOGS, TELLING TEAMMATES ABOUT CANTERBURY DEAL

Via Telegraph Sport
By Fatima Kdouh

When it comes to high energy and positive vibes, few sides do it as well as the Panthers. But this week’s vibe will be a little different as the end draws near for one of their best.
Putting pen to paper on a lucrative deal at Canterbury was an agonising decision for Penrith star Stephen Crichton, but still easier than breaking the news to his close friend and teammate Brian To’o.
Not even the conversation Crichton had with coach Ivan Cleary after signing a four-year deal with the Bulldogs in January was as tough.
The revelation comes as Crichton, who is still only 22 years old, has also left the door ajar for
Crichton and To’o didn’t come through Penrith’s junior system at the same time but their paths to the NRL merged in late 2018, and the dynamic outside back duo have been inseparable since.
That was until the Bulldogs came knocking with an offer the two-time premiership winner could not refuse – $3.3 million dollars and dibs on the fullback jumper in 2024.
“It was pretty hard (to tell the boys). The hardest was Bizza (To’o), I told him first,” Crichton said.
“He and his wife were pretty emotional.
“It shows how much our friendship means to him. We won’t be around each other as much but our friendship will still be there. But it motivates me to train harder and finish on a high with the boys.”
When the tears dried up, the emotions were replaced with a sense of acceptance but only to re-emerge in the lead-up to Friday’s preliminary final against Melbourne at Accor Stadium.
While the high energy and positive vibes the Panthers are synonymous for are still there, the week has been tinged with an uncharacteristic sombre feel at the foot of the mountains.
The reality that the Panthers are potentially 80 minutes away from farewelling not one but two of the club’s favourite Samoan sons, in Crichton and Bondi bound Spencer Leniu, is hitting hard.
“Reality has slowly started to hit us now actually,” To’o said.
“We’ve started to talk about it too so yeah, it’s hitting us.
“But we want to take it day by day and make every second we still have together count. I mean, we’re really close so we will still see each other off the field.
“But yeah, it’s still a bit emotional. I’m so happy for him though. I’m so proud of the man he has become and how he’s developed in his career … as sad as we are, to see him move onto bigger things, I’m proud of him. I can’t wait to see what he does in the near future.
“Obviously, I’m going to miss him (Crichton).”
A ‘sad’ Crichton has pledged to do everything in his power to ensure he leaves the club on a high and help deliver a historic three-straight premierships to the club before he walks away.
“(I’m) pretty sad … Yeah, yeah I think it has sunk in the last couple weeks … knowing it was my last home game (against Warriors), last few games with the boys, the last training sessions,” Crichton said.
“So I’m just trying to give it my all, give it my best so I can leave on a high. It would mean a lot.”
Crichton is adamant he has ‘no regrets’ about joining former Panthers assistant coach Cameron Ciraldo at Belmore but didn’t rule out a career swan song at Penrith.
“No, there are no regrets there,” Crichton said.
“I made the decision and I have put it to the side. I’ll worry about that stuff when that time comes. Right now, I want to focus fully and mentally on where I am and what I have to do to give my best for the team.
“I haven’t even spoken about that (coming back in the future) but hopefully when the time comes it might be pretty good too.
“But I can’t make the decision right now. We’ll see what happens when the time comes.”
Ciraldo, who was a key architect in Penrith’s title success, has come under fire at Belmore with the rookie coach’s physical approach at training making headlines last month.
There were numerous reports some Canterbury players took exception to the long gruelling days under Ciraldo. One player reportedly walked out on the club after being forced to wrestle teammates as punishment for turning up late to training.
To’o knows the kind of success Penrith have experienced takes hard work, and believes Crichton will buy into Ciraldo’s uncompromising approach.
“He’ll go all out for that (Bulldogs) jersey as well,” To’o said.
To’o also backed his teammate to be Canterbury’s new fullback next season despite legendary custodian Billy Slater urging Ciraldo to leave Crichton in the centres.
“Whether he’s a centre or fullback at Canterbury, the ball is in his court. He has all the attributes to be a fullback or centre. He can do both, no doubt. He’s got the skill level, he’s got the height, he’s strong as well and he’s pretty smart as well, surprisingly,” To’o laughed.
“He’s definitely got all the attributes to do a full-back’s work. Wherever Ciro (Ciraldo) puts him, he’ll kill it.”

Too many articles on this guy, should we start to worry now?? :tonguewink:
I'm getting sick of the constant reference to one player walking out of training every time they mention the Dogs. It' starting to sound like that's the only thing that they want the public to think about when they hear Bulldogs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score

It comes down to injuries and suspensions, I guess.

The only bright side is that we have signed a few utility players who are not frightened of hard work, and who can fill any gaps in 2024, instead of calling up kids from Flegg.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have to agree.SC has played all his league playing life in a highly successful, top of the tree system. It will be a massive challenge to suddenly leave that and start toiling with a currently unsuccessful club and bunch of players who are used to losing. If he can master that aspect, he has the ability to be the catalyst for helping our club turn things around and ensure his place as a Bulldog great. If he can influence others, especially including Burton, to consistently play their best, and himself, then he will leave a legacy as a Bulldogs immortal :grinning:

Looking forward to seeing him in blue and white and our club start the journey of pulling itself off the bottom and become winners once again.
He has had a bit of experience with NSW who have been pretty unsuccessful ;)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve seen him at Church a few times. After he scored his first try I went up to him after Mass and congratulated him. He’s very tall in real life. Tapped him on his shoulder after I shook his hand, felt like concrete
How good would it be bro if he scored his 2nd ever NRL try at belmore playing for us.. haha absolute scenes..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How good would it be bro if he scored his 2nd ever NRL try at belmore playing for us.. haha absolute scenes..
Haha..Absolutley bro! I'll take it one step further, imagine he becomes a try scoring machine with us :tearsofjoy:

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I think those signings make us a genuine finals contender, potentially top 4-6, but it’s still a way off that 2004 squad where top 2 was a certainty