News Hopoate ready for Bulldogs contract crunch

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will Hopoate accepts he has to start the NRL season well to prove he belongs in Trent Barrett's backline, with more than half of Canterbury's squad coming off contract this year.

The Bulldogs have one of the biggest free agent pools in the NRL, with 15 of the 29 players in their full-time squad uncontracted beyond the end of 2021.

Both Hopoate and former Queensland State of Origin prop Dylan Napa have confirmed negotiations are yet to begin on new deals.

The real squeeze is likely to come in the backs, where Hopoate has been one of the Bulldogs best players since his 2016 arrival.

Canterbury have picked up State of Origin backs Corey Allan and Nick Cotric for this season, while Josh Addo-Carr is their big-name arrival for 2021.

Matt Burton's impending arrival is expected to eventually push Jake Averillo out wide, creating even more competition for spots.

Meanwhile Hopoate headlines a list of backs off contract, including Christian Crichton, Nick Meaney, Jayden Okunbor and Tuipulotu Katoa.

"Nothing has started yet," Hopoate told AAP.

"It's similar to previous years that I have been off contract, I have to show what I'm worth early in the year.

"Obviously form earns you contracts. It's important that we start fast as a team which will help me to start fast too.

"All I can do is control whatever I can. Prepare as best I can and play good footy."

The 28-year-old has traditionally only signed shorter contracts and is therefore hopeful he still has several more in his career.

He has no issue with his planned move back to the centres this year following Allan's arrival at fullback.

The Tonga international has spent the past three years yo-yoing between the positions, with this his sixth switch since the end of 2017 at Canterbury.

"I do enjoy playing at the back, I played most of my juniors there," Hopoate said.

"But Baz thinks centre is the best position for me to be for the team.

"Corey is a great player, he played outstanding last year for Souths and made his Origin debut and so now I'm happy to be there (at centre)."

CANTERBURY'S OFF-CONTRACT LIST

Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Tuipolotu Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, James Roumanos, Chris Smith, Renouf To'omaga.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think if Hopoate continues to play how he has been he'll get another 1 year extension. We'll have Schoupp and Alamoti behind him and until one of them prove they need to be in the side and can't be left out Hopoate is a good stop gap solution on a reduced deal (~400k, not sure what he's currently on). I don't want us to go and spend big money in the centres (e.g. someone like Staggs) when we need to be spending that money on a hooker and potentially a prop too.

Looking at the off contract list if I had to make a decision right now I'd be cutting Britt, Crichton, Harding, Katoa x2, Lewis, Napa and Roumanos. I haven't seen Harding and Roumanos play and I've seen very little from Katoa so maybe a bit harsh there but they'd have to show something before the end of the year which is pretty unlikely imo.

TroopSalute

Kennel Participant
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
With respect to Hoppa, he has done some great things at the club in a difficult period and the club has been as good with their support.

but he's time is up, .... time to blood some new kids ... and there's more than one player who can fill that spot.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fact that hoppa has been one of our best performers over the last 2 years,should put him in good position,unlike some on here who completely bag him,30 years of age a 1 year contract,to help some of our young guys coming through,and of the other 14 on that list on past performances,not many there we would keep,unless there was a complete form reversal.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa has been one of our better players, but that also shows how weak our roster has been. Hope we get to see how some of the younger guys go this year, if none are ready would rather look elsewhere to honest

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As good as he's been for us loyalty is dead in the time game and we shouldn't offer him a deal just because of the past. We did that with players like Eastwood and look where it got us. I do hope (and I'm sure he will) land a deal elsewhere for a couple of years.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
See how he goes with the new training could make a huge difference

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Sione Katoa, Tuipolotu Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, James Roumanos, Chris Smith, Renouf To'omaga.
I'd only keep RT, Ogden and Okunbor

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Thanks for the service Hoppa but I think it's time to part ways.

An outside back that is close to 30 and is already slow will be a problem moving forward.
Really?? Just like the morris twins hey!
He has been consistent and a great player for the dogs in what I must say have been very very tough times .
I have to say I really disagree.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Really?? Just like the morris twins hey!
He has been consistent and a great player for the dogs in what I must say have been very very tough times .
I have to say I really disagree.
Rather go a year too early then a year too late. The club hardly owes Hoppa a deal because he was here in tough times.

The Morris boys got a new lease on life because they could smell a premiership. Had they stayed at the Dogs they would have continued to mail it in like they did in their last year at the club.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rather go a year too early then a year too late. The club hardly owes Hoppa a deal because he was here in tough times.

The Morris boys got a new lease on life because they could smell a premiership. Had they stayed at the Dogs they would have continued to mail it in like they did in their last year at the club.
He's only 28...not exactly in his thirties... Considering the youth in our side common sense dictates we need leadership and experience in our squad

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avo, Schoup, Alamoti are all going to be competing for Hoppa's spot and all 3 players have far more upside than Hoppa does so it's time to go.

If they do re-sign him because of his experience it must be for peanuts because we don't need him

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hoppas time is most likely up... with Averillo, Schoupp and Alomati waiting in the wings it's to risky keeping him imo. At the right price I wouldn't care if he stayed for 1 more year to parter JAC if those youngsters don't leave

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he stays beyond this year it will be on a reduced contract for depth purposes only.