News Hopoate ready for Bulldogs contract crunch

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The Warriors will sign him to replace RTS next season I’m picking
Very likely. If Roosters don't try pinch Alomati I'd really like to see Joey Manu go there and have a crack at fullback

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it comes down to money and the length of the deal... a two year extension on reasonable money does not seem to be a bad option for the club and player but I am assuming that Barrett wants him gone

FZ1-S

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I can see Hoppa being resigned because I can't see him still being in first grade at the end of the season.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the argument about signing Hoppa for what he has done at this stage of his career. You are signing him on what he is going to do moving forward and his best football is behind him.

Good roster management is all about moving players on at the right time.
I remember u saying the same thing,about the Morris boys,that was one the many disagreements I’ve had with u,now you going for a bloke like hoppa who has been our most consistent player for the last 2 years,I don’t spend a lot of time on this forum,mainly because of know all’s like u and a couple of your mates,get a life.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember u saying the same thing,about the Morris boys,that was one the many disagreements I’ve had with u,now you going for a bloke like hoppa who has been our most consistent player for the last 2 years,I don’t spend a lot of time on this forum,mainly because of know all’s like u and a couple of your mates,get a life.
Hopoate isn't even playing bad (if he has a terrible year then I'll reconsider, but the fact is he's been one of our best players over the last 2 years). I see a top team picking him up if he's willing to take slight unders (sounds familiar?). I think almost every NRL team could do with someone like Hopoate. I know a Panthers fan who would of taken him at the Panthers and he's one of the few players he rates at the doggies. You also hear all the analysts rate him as a centre very highly (I know certain people like to bag their opinions, most of those certain people also thought we should of got rid of our best forward in Elliott multiple times in the last 2 years). Hopoate's defintely in the top 50% of centres in the NRL and that's being reservative, he also has leadership qualities which makes him slightly more valuable. There is only 2 reasons why we should get rid of Hopoate and that's because one of the younger players in Averillo, Schoupp and Alamoti basically leave Barrett with no option to leave them out of the starting 13 (and really DWZ should be out the door beforehand) or Hopoate's salary (~400k) is the only way we can sign a good hooker.

Malla

Reaction score
Hopoate isn't even playing bad (if he has a terrible year then I'll reconsider, but the fact is he's been one of our best players over the last 2 years). I see a top team picking him up if he's willing to take slight unders (sounds familiar?). I think almost every NRL team could do with someone like Hopoate. I know a Panthers fan who would of taken him at the Panthers and he's one of the few players he rates at the doggies. You also hear all the analysts rate him as a centre very highly (I know certain people like to bag their opinions, most of those certain people also thought we should of got rid of our best forward in Elliott multiple times in the last 2 years). Hopoate's defintely in the top 50% of centres in the NRL and that's being reservative, he also has leadership qualities which makes him slightly more valuable. There is only 2 reasons why we should get rid of Hopoate and that's because one of the younger players in Averillo, Schoupp and Alamoti basically leave Barrett with no option to leave them out of the starting 13 (and really DWZ should be out the door beforehand) or Hopoate's salary (~400k) is the only way we can sign a good hooker.
Its not that Hoppa is playing bad; he’s one of the most consistent players we have had the last decade. His asking price is just too high. Unless he accepts a pay cut upwards of $200k then he won’t stay. He will earn the same money else where and he will take it. The writing was on the wall for him when we signed Cotric and JAC on the money they’re on. The money he is on will be used to bring in some forwards.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Time to move on from hoppa ,ave and schouppe should take his spot next season

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa has pretty good hands and was generally safe back at fullback. But that's where it ends.

At centre he doesn't have the pace and the quicker centres attacking his side will beat him more so on the outside. He has played centre for us previously and had defensive read issues and it hasn't seemed to have improved going by the last trial. At fullback he was able to hide. Unfortunately not any more and while I hope to be proved wrong I can't see how he can be our long term centre.

Reactions: GDR

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hoppa isnt even on that big of a deal

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still think Barrett might pursue Naden who is still off contract for next season as far as I know
I don't think so, think if we wanted him he would probably be here by now with him being out of favour at Penrith.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing for a new contract will bring out his best, will be interesting to see how he handles it.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think so, think if we wanted him he would probably be here by now with him being out of favour at Penrith.
There were some claiming he'd already signed before the Grand Final last year. We could be waiting for it to die down further once the season begins and it's mostly forgotten. I think he would be an upgrade on Hopa especially in attack and would come fairly cheap / cheaper now if not already signed.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa isnt even on that big of a deal
He'd have to be on 500K at least. Before he re-signed his last deal he was "regarded" as having been our best player for the 2 previous years. He came over on decent money from Parramatta (where he was on about 800K) in the first place plus remember he was signed by idiot Des then. We don't have a habit of downgrading players too often unless because of long term serious injury (ie Foran). When we were going shit he looked good just by playing average compared to other players in other better teams. We were frightened if we lost him we'd become even worse than what we were..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
May have a good year, been a very consistent player for a long time, all the best to him .!!!