Opinion Holland - bench hooker

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Please tell me this ain’t true

I would’ve thought Pay learnt from that failed experiment or is he so desperately wanting to include Holland in the 17?

IMG_6503.JPG

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall Holland actually providing impact from the bench, however not sure how that would go on a regular basis... Holland plays his best footy when he partners Smith for mine

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Only 2 noted hookers in the Top 30. Good idea to have Holland do a bit of work there so he could at least do a job if required.

To be fair he far from disgraced himself in the couple of times he was used there from the bench in 2018.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully JMK's injury isn't too serious if that report is correct. Obviously Katoa can't play 80 if Pay's backup is Holland.

Don't we have any other 9's at the club apart from JMK/Katoa, that would be a worry that we're so thin in the halves and at hooker also.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Unless we don't have a hooker in reserve grade (lol) and Katoa has to play there I don't see why Katoa wouldn't be on the bench over Holland. The only other bench alteration I wouldn't mind seeing if it isn't: Katoa, RFM, Toomaga and Stimson is Stimson, RFM, Toomaga and Smith. I don't rate Katoa very highly anyways. If JMK is injured to start the season then Holland is probably our next best option as a utility after Katoa.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Holland only returned to the main training group a couple of weeks ago so I'm not sure how much training he has been doing.

In saying that it's a terrible idea! In the couple of games Holland went into hooker he just ran the ball from dummy half and did little else.

He isn't a hooker and Pay has lost the plot if he is even thinking about it.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We need a hooker (back up ) that has the vision of a half, can defend long periods and offers us another point of attack plus a kicking game

We should never have another Lichaa esque type of hooker

Holland is a Centre/Winger

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless we don't have a hooker in reserve grade (lol) and Katoa has to play there I don't see why Katoa wouldn't be on the bench over Holland. The only other bench alteration I wouldn't mind seeing if it isn't: Katoa, RFM, Toomaga and Stimson is Stimson, RFM, Toomaga and Smith. I don't rate Katoa very highly anyways. If JMK is injured to start the season then Holland is probably our next best option as a utility after Katoa.
Surely Cogger/Wakeham could fill the bench utility hooker role because let’s face it they would only get 15 mins tops.

I recall Cogger sitting for two consecutive games last year

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Please tell me this ain’t true

I would’ve thought Pay learnt from that failed experiment or is he so desperately wanting to include Holland in the 17?

View attachment 12888
If this story is actually accurate, I'd suggest this is the case because we have Hoppa and Rain is lined up in the centres, and also have Harper, Averilo and Montoya as backups. So where else can Holland serve the team? He did alright coming off the bench as a hooker a few Yeats back, so let's see if he can even get a run after JMK and Katoa.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I am sure the good times will return but god help me we are a bit fucked if we are contemplating Holland as a bench utility/back hooker again. Can't believe some people are saying he offers great impact fmd haahah

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely Cogger/Wakeham could fill the bench utility hooker role because let’s face it they would only get 15 mins tops.

Yeah that's true Cogger especially is a good shout just we saw he was unused off the bench for multiple games last year.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d rather not have Holland at all but at least he covers 4 positions if we get an injury/HIA or two

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Jmk will be back by round 1.
Idk what they were researching?

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Holland was actually mad coming on late and just running from DH and supporting up the middle. Lacks everything else to be hooker though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How is Lewis actually rated as a 7... Cogger is a way better first receiver than him and should be calling the shots

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Agree, Wakeham would be the better option on the bench. Cogger to Hooker with Wakeham going to Half when Katoa came off.

But Holland wasn't too bad in his short stints when he done this, but think his time should be done..

JAYDOG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Holland on the bench does help if we have a HIA in the backs.But if not seems a waste.He also is not a 9..

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought holland did a very good job,coming of the bench,certainly worth another go

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As my late Grandpa would say "Christ all mighty!!!!" Lol