Here's the thing about 2024

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
It's pretty much the only concern I have bringing Shane Flanagan in as coach. Pretty sure his son plays a role in his contract negotiations...
What if Gus stops it from being a contract negotiation? ;)

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The 18 month comment that Gus made, don't look too much into it, we'll be competitive next season.

The 18 month comment is in regards to balancing the cap and it coincides with when some of our juniors will be ready to step up to 1st grade, thereby balancing the cap.

The following players are contracted for 2024:

* Addo Carr (wing/fullback)
* Burton (if he takes his player's option and remains) (5/8 or centre)
* Kikau (2RF)
* Max King (2RF)
* Kiraz (centre)
* Mahoney (hooker)
* TPJ (2RF)
* Schoupp (centre)
+Patalo
+Alamoti

The above is all I see being kept for 2024, with signings and juniors stepping up filling the rest of the positions. Of the current playing group, it's up to them to prove themselves to the club to be kept.

By the way, I don't think any of our halves (outside of Burton) have a future with the club.

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What if Gus stops it from being a contract negotiation? ;)
I guess it depends on how much Flanagan wants this first grade coach position. Not many become available each year. Next position will be Newcastle.

Out of the coaches available, I'd be leaning towards Flanagan, so he might know he's in the driver's seat.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We’d be dumb not to make a play for Munster atleast. Then try get a class fullback. And promote a few juniors.

1. ?
2. Jac
3. Schoupp
4. Alamoti
5. Kiraz
6. Munster
7. Burton
8. King
9. Mahoney
10. Tpj
11. Kikau
12. ?
13. Topine

14.?
15.?
16.?
17. ?
With what's on the market I honestly think we have to get Munster. Fullback has a few more options.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The 18 month comment that Gus made, don't look too much into it, we'll be competitive next season.

The 18 month comment is in regards to balancing the cap and it coincides with when some of our juniors will be ready to step up to 1st grade, thereby balancing the cap.

+Patalo
+Alamoti

The above is all I see being kept for 2024, with signings and juniors stepping up filling the rest of the positions. Of the current playing group, it's up to them to prove themselves to the club to be kept.

By the way, I don't think any of our halves (outside of Burton) have a future with the club.
Long term Rajab and Hayward will hopefully have progressed well enough to be in that conversation by 2024. Both have the potential and have been standouts in juniors.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus has come out and said that we only have a few players contracted in 2024. Now, I'm a big fan of Gus and have absolute faith that he will steer our club back on track. But I've got some issues with that comment.

1. It's essentially a subtle message to those whose contracts expire at the end of next season that the club is counting down the days until they can be sent packing;
2. It could possibly state to the market that our club will have another 'war-chest' of cash and that we are more than likely going to be able to afford paying overs for recruits;
3. It suggests that 2024 is potentially also a write off as there will be a whole swathe of new players who will need 1-2 seasons to form combinations and gel as a team.

******For those TL;DR - I'm worried about the message our club has basically put out in the last few days that we will essentially be buying a brand new team and hoping to be competitive in 2024/2025******

* Kikau (2RF)
* Max King (2RF)
* Kiraz (centre)
* Mahoney (hooker)
* TPJ (2RF)
* Schoupp (centre)

Of the current squad, unless there is a massive improvement, I'd personally only want to offer a contract extension to the following:

* Topine (2RF)
* Patolo (FRF)
* Hetherington (FRF)
* Biondi Odo (halfback/hooker)
* Casey (wing/fullback)

The 2024 team currently looks like this (unless I've missed something obvious)

1. Declan Casey + 0
2. Josh Addo Carr + 0
3. Aaron Schoupp + 0
4. Jacob Kiraz + 0
5. vacant
6. Matt Burton + 0
7. Bailey Biondi Odo + 0
8. Jack Hetherington + 0
9. Reed Mahoney + 0
10. Chris Patolo + 0
11. Tevita Pangai Junior + 0
12. Viliame Kikau + Jackson Topine
13. Max King + 0
17. vacant

To summarise:

- According to Gus, we will have around $6.5m - $7m to spend on another 17-22 players
- We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings
- We will need a top-tier fullback ($1.1m max)... Fullbacks off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Niu, Cobbo, Nikoll-Klokstad, Savage, Will Kennedy, Drinkwater, Tabuai-Fidow, Latrell Mitchell, Daine Laurie
- We will need wing and coverage x2 ($900K max)... Wingers off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Tupou, Staines, Penisini, Sean Russell, Maika Sivo, Murray Taulagi, Tuala, Dom Young, Garrick, Marzhew, Katoa, Mulitalo, Savage
We will need FRF/2RF coverage x5 ($2m max)... FRF/2RF off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Flegler, Tapine, Talakai, McIntyre, Josh King, Bunty Afoa, Brodie Jones, Leo Thompson, Condon, Nanai, Liam Martin, Sorensen, Tago, Blore

That leaves around $700K - $1.3m - $1.8m to spend on a further 8-13 players, provided the above can stay on budget.

Which players would you be targeting and what would you suggest the Bulldogs pay per year?

Do you think we should be looking more closely at those in our lower grades for development across the next 18 months?

Given our development programs won't start generating quality NRL players for at least another 3-5 years, do you think it's worthwhile announcing to the world that we will be buying two-thirds of a team for 2024 and expecting to play finals footy in 2024/2025?
Alamoti

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You're reading way too much into Gus' comments. Just two weeks ago Gus said Baz would be the coach long after he leaves.. Take what he says with a grain of salt.

He's saying this about 2024 to lower expectations, to buy time for these players and the new coach, and to tell other players and managers that we'll have a tonne of cap space in 24 and we're open for business.
Yep I agree. It's actually a very attractive proposition for the next Head Coach. Great marketing work Gus.
This war chest is a little bit different, it's a war chest supervised by Gus, it's not going to be blown on players like Flanno, Waddell, Allen like before, plus this time around we have a good base of players to add to like JAC, Burton, Kikau, Mahoney who are already secured. We've taken the long road but it will come together.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Long term Rajab and Hayward will hopefully have progressed well enough to be in that conversation by 2024. Both have the potential and have been standouts in juniors.
Could be, there could also be late bloomers that make a sudden rise. There also could be more fruits to pick from given the work Gus is doing on development.

The last board were, obvious now, full of shit. They added to the mess that Des left (by neglecting our juniors), that's why we were in so much cap trouble and overpaying on garbage.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has come out and said that we only have a few players contracted in 2024. Now, I'm a big fan of Gus and have absolute faith that he will steer our club back on track. But I've got some issues with that comment.

1. It's essentially a subtle message to those whose contracts expire at the end of next season that the club is counting down the days until they can be sent packing;
2. It could possibly state to the market that our club will have another 'war-chest' of cash and that we are more than likely going to be able to afford paying overs for recruits;
3. It suggests that 2024 is potentially also a write off as there will be a whole swathe of new players who will need 1-2 seasons to form combinations and gel as a team.

******For those TL;DR - I'm worried about the message our club has basically put out in the last few days that we will essentially be buying a brand new team and hoping to be competitive in 2024/2025******

* Kikau (2RF)
* Max King (2RF)
* Kiraz (centre)
* Mahoney (hooker)
* TPJ (2RF)
* Schoupp (centre)

Of the current squad, unless there is a massive improvement, I'd personally only want to offer a contract extension to the following:

* Topine (2RF)
* Patolo (FRF)
* Hetherington (FRF)
* Biondi Odo (halfback/hooker)
* Casey (wing/fullback)

The 2024 team currently looks like this (unless I've missed something obvious)

1. Declan Casey + 0
2. Josh Addo Carr + 0
3. Aaron Schoupp + 0
4. Jacob Kiraz + 0
5. vacant
6. Matt Burton + 0
7. Bailey Biondi Odo + 0
8. Jack Hetherington + 0
9. Reed Mahoney + 0
10. Chris Patolo + 0
11. Tevita Pangai Junior + 0
12. Viliame Kikau + Jackson Topine
13. Max King + 0
17. vacant

To summarise:

- According to Gus, we will have around $6.5m - $7m to spend on another 17-22 players
- We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings
- We will need a top-tier fullback ($1.1m max)... Fullbacks off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Niu, Cobbo, Nikoll-Klokstad, Savage, Will Kennedy, Drinkwater, Tabuai-Fidow, Latrell Mitchell, Daine Laurie
- We will need wing and coverage x2 ($900K max)... Wingers off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Tupou, Staines, Penisini, Sean Russell, Maika Sivo, Murray Taulagi, Tuala, Dom Young, Garrick, Marzhew, Katoa, Mulitalo, Savage
We will need FRF/2RF coverage x5 ($2m max)... FRF/2RF off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Flegler, Tapine, Talakai, McIntyre, Josh King, Bunty Afoa, Brodie Jones, Leo Thompson, Condon, Nanai, Liam Martin, Sorensen, Tago, Blore

That leaves around $700K - $1.3m - $1.8m to spend on a further 8-13 players, provided the above can stay on budget.

Which players would you be targeting and what would you suggest the Bulldogs pay per year?

Do you think we should be looking more closely at those in our lower grades for development across the next 18 months?

Given our development programs won't start generating quality NRL players for at least another 3-5 years, do you think it's worthwhile announcing to the world that we will be buying two-thirds of a team for 2024 and expecting to play finals footy in 2024/2025?
Great work xander, thanks for your time and insights.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Flanno (Jnr) is the problem in all honesty. A decent coach like Trent Robinson had him playing decent football.

Sure he's no Sam Walker or Cooper Cronk, but he's also young.

Heck maybe we need to get Cronk in as a halves consultant for Flanno and Burton.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think Flanno (Jnr) is the problem in all honesty. A decent coach like Trent Robinson had him playing decent football.

Sure he's no Sam Walker or Cooper Cronk, but he's also young.

Heck maybe we need to get Cronk in as a halves consultant for Flanno and Burton.
Am pretty sure Cronk was the halves consultant when Flanno was at the roosters. But I do agree with you that we need a halves coach. It wont be Cronk though. Roosters wont let him go.

Its anyone's guess as to what will happen with the halfback next year. I just dont think Flanno has the running threat nor the kicking game to be a long term halfback in the NRL. I dont think I have ever seen him make a line break. Thats a massive worry. The defenders can just slide off him and focus on the outside men. Even if he dummies they know they will have time to make a cup of tea and still readjust and smash him.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Munster top priority for mine.
Fan of Dylan Brown
CNK or Hammer.

The rest should sort itself out.
Huge NO to Dylan Brown, even though he is in some form playing behind arguably the best pack in the world I still think he is immature. I mean I think it’s pretty obvious (others won’t or simply miss it- ie Benny Elias thinking Naden was a top four Panther) but I think he is absolutely light years from Munster, immature and possibly has a pretty bad attitude as demonstrated by the wanker esque millionaire comments.

You can just see when players have a good attitude ala Nick Meaney (average ability but great attitude playing good footy) and players who are Fuck Heads and to be avoided ie; Jarryd Hayne (all the ability in the world spoiled by him being him).

Fun Fact- Canterbury haven’t had a first choice Australian spine player since I have been following them (1988) Nor have we bought one.

Roosters bought two in one year. The Aussie number six would not only propel us in a huge way but also weaken the opposition
(Something which I remember Gould saying something along the lines that this is a bad thing) which I completely disagree. Rape, pillage and plunder the top teams when you can and reap the rewards of their fruit. Ie Roosters going back to back.

Last edited:

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Could be, there could also be late bloomers that make a sudden rise. There also could be more fruits to pick from given the work Gus is doing on development.

The last board were, obvious now, full of shit. They added to the mess that Des left (by neglecting our juniors), that's why we were in so much cap trouble and overpaying on garbage.
Absolutely mate, when I talked up Hynes early, many dismissed him and said Melbourne system etc. but realistically who would’ve signed him as a half, most in hindsight I know.