Here's the thing about 2024

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As much I’m a fan of Gus I still think letting Luke Lewis go at Penrith didn’t make sense. I reckon he’s one of the most under rated players ever and no way Sharks win the comp without him. So Gus certainly is not right 100% of the time.
I remember reading an article, I'm not sure where, at the time that when Gus went to Penrith he realised that the coach was not strong enough (sound familiar?) and that some of the senior players were picking the team each week and dictating the game plan. One of his first priorities was to change this and that meant moving on these players. I'm not sure how accurate this was but I've always believed there was at least some truth in it.

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I would do for 2024.
All plodders gone and plenty on talented young players promoted to the top 30.

1. JAYDEN CAMPBELL
2. JOSH ADDO-CARR
3. AARON SCHOUPP or JACOB KIRAZ
4. PAUL ALAMOTI
5. JACOB KIRAZ or CREEDENCE TOIA
6. MATT BURTON
7. SCOTT DRINKWATER
8. TEVITA PANGAI JUNIOR
9. REED MAHONEY
10. PAYNE HAAS
11. VILIAME KIKAU
12. JACKSON TOPINE
13. LIAM MARTIN

14. BAILEY BIONDI-ODO
15. RYAN SUTTON
16. CHRIS PATOLO
17. MAX KING

18. HARRISON EDWARDS
19. DECLAN CASEY
20. PHILLIP MAKATOA
21. ZACH DOCKAR-CLAY
22. LARSON DALE-DOYLE
23. KHALED RAJAB
24. JOASH PAPALII
25. CREEDENCE TOIA
26. JOSH STUCKEY
27. BILLY TSIKRIKAS
28. KURTIS MORRIN
29. BAILEY HAYWARD
30. MALACHI RETCHFORD

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Players like Lewis & Heighington weren't performing well, they got rejuvenated at the Sharks. IMO Ennis hit career best form in the year they won, he played better than I'd ever see him play with us.
And who do you think is responsible for “rejuvenating” them?

Always a Bulldog

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This is what I would do for 2024.
All plodders gone and plenty on talented young players promoted to the top 30.

1. JAYDEN CAMPBELL
2. JOSH ADDO-CARR
3. AARON SCHOUPP or JACOB KIRAZ
4. PAUL ALAMOTI
5. JACOB KIRAZ or CREEDENCE TOIA
6. MATT BURTON
7. SCOTT DRINKWATER
8. TEVITA PANGAI JUNIOR
9. REED MAHONEY
10. PAYNE HAAS
11. VILIAME KIKAU
12. JACKSON TOPINE
13. LIAM MARTIN

14. BAILEY BIONDI-ODO
15. RYAN SUTTON
16. CHRIS PATOLO
17. MAX KING

18. HARRISON EDWARDS
19. DECLAN CASEY
20. PHILLIP MAKATOA
21. ZACH DOCKAR-CLAY
22. LARSON DALE-DOYLE
23. KHALED RAJAB
24. JOASH PAPALII
25. CREEDENCE TOIA
26. JOSH STUCKEY
27. BILLY TSIKRIKAS
28. KURTIS MORRIN
29. BAILEY HAYWARD
30. MALACHI RETCHFORD
Drinkwater at 7? Not sure about that one..

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus has come out and said that we only have a few players contracted in 2024. Now, I'm a big fan of Gus and have absolute faith that he will steer our club back on track. But I've got some issues with that comment.

1. It's essentially a subtle message to those whose contracts expire at the end of next season that the club is counting down the days until they can be sent packing;
2. It could possibly state to the market that our club will have another 'war-chest' of cash and that we are more than likely going to be able to afford paying overs for recruits;
3. It suggests that 2024 is potentially also a write off as there will be a whole swathe of new players who will need 1-2 seasons to form combinations and gel as a team.

******For those TL;DR - I'm worried about the message our club has basically put out in the last few days that we will essentially be buying a brand new team and hoping to be competitive in 2024/2025******

The following players are contracted for 2024:

* Addo Carr (wing/fullback)
* Burton (if he takes his player's option and remains) (5/8 or centre)
* Kikau (2RF)
* Max King (2RF)
* Kiraz (centre)
* Mahoney (hooker)
* TPJ (2RF)
* Schoupp (centre)

Of the current squad, unless there is a massive improvement, I'd personally only want to offer a contract extension to the following:

* Topine (2RF)
* Patolo (FRF)
* Hetherington (FRF)
* Biondi Odo (halfback/hooker)
* Casey (wing/fullback)

The 2024 team currently looks like this (unless I've missed something obvious)

1. Declan Casey + 0
2. Josh Addo Carr + 0
3. Aaron Schoupp + 0
4. Jacob Kiraz + 0
5. vacant
6. Matt Burton + 0
7. Bailey Biondi Odo + 0
8. Jack Hetherington + 0
9. Reed Mahoney + 0
10. Chris Patolo + 0
11. Tevita Pangai Junior + 0
12. Viliame Kikau + Jackson Topine
13. Max King + 0
17. vacant

To summarise:

- According to Gus, we will have around $6.5m - $7m to spend on another 17-22 players
- We will need a top-tier halfback ($1.2m max)... Halves off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Munster, Drinkwater, Dylan Brown, Ben Hunt, Sam Walker, Hastings
- We will need a top-tier fullback ($1.1m max)... Fullbacks off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Niu, Cobbo, Nikoll-Klokstad, Savage, Will Kennedy, Drinkwater, Tabuai-Fidow, Latrell Mitchell, Daine Laurie
- We will need wing and coverage x2 ($900K max)... Wingers off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Tupou, Staines, Penisini, Sean Russell, Maika Sivo, Murray Taulagi, Tuala, Dom Young, Garrick, Marzhew, Katoa, Mulitalo, Savage
We will need FRF/2RF coverage x5 ($2m max)... FRF/2RF off contract end of 2023 that I would shortlist are: Flegler, Tapine, Talakai, McIntyre, Josh King, Bunty Afoa, Brodie Jones, Leo Thompson, Condon, Nanai, Liam Martin, Sorensen, Tago, Blore

That leaves around $700K - $1.3m - $1.8m to spend on a further 8-13 players, provided the above can stay on budget.

Which players would you be targeting and what would you suggest the Bulldogs pay per year?

Do you think we should be looking more closely at those in our lower grades for development across the next 18 months?

Given our development programs won't start generating quality NRL players for at least another 3-5 years, do you think it's worthwhile announcing to the world that we will be buying two-thirds of a team for 2024 and expecting to play finals footy in 2024/2025?
2024 this is the year we turn things around providing we recruit well and move on these pathetic players in my opinion 2024 is the crucial year for us .We might go alright next year but nothing special .

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 Latrell Mitchell OR Reece Walsh
2 Brian To'o
3 Aaron Schoupp
4 Jacob Kiraz / Jake Averillo / Paul Alamoti
5 JAC
6 Matt Burton
7 Mitchell Moses
8 Payne Haas
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Ryan Sutton
11 Viliame Kikau
12 Max King / Jackson Topine
13 Ryan Matterson

Let Bennett have TPJ (at full freight) if the Dolphins drop off the hunt for Matterson. Also shed RFM, Stimson, Hetherington, Dufty. For 2024 shed Vaughan (retain for 2023) Thompson, Jacko, Flanagan, Allan and Burns.

I presume the Dolphins will get Reece Walsh and Munster but if Bennett signs Latrell we sign Walsh. We need a 7 more than a 6. Moses although not perfect has to be the best 7 available. Goal kicker also.

We need to upgrade our spine as much as possible. Also need a world class meter eater prop to get us out of our own end (no better than Haas), a physically strong winger to start sets off strong (no better than To'o) and a ball playing big forward in Matterson would be ideal.

By shedding the above players I believe we could afford these signings then have up and coming young guys filling the rest of the top 30 with a few experienced campaigners like Ava on close to minimum wage.

SPINE
Latrell Mitchell
Matt Burton
Mitchell Moses
Reed Mahoney

LEFT ATTACK
Matt Burton
Aaron Schoupp
Brian To'o
Viliame Kikau

RIGHT ATTACK
Mitchell Moses
Jacob Kiraz / Jake Averillo / Paul Alamoti
JAC
Ryan Matterson

Last edited:

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1 Latrell Mitchell OR Reece Walsh
2 Brian To'o
3 Aaron Schoupp
4 Jacob Kiraz / Jake Averillo / Paul Alamoti
5 JAC
6 Matt Burton
7 Mitchell Moses
8 Payne Haas
9 Reed Mahoney
10 Ryan Sutton
11 Viliame Kikau
12 Max King / Jackson Topine
13 Ryan Matterson

Let Bennett have TPJ (at full freight) if the Dolphins drop off the hunt for Matterson. Also shed RFM, Stimson, Hetherington, Dufty. For 2024 shed Vaughan (retain for 2023) Thompson, Jacko, Flanagan, Allan and Burns.

I presume the Dolphins will get Reece Walsh and Munster but if Bennett signs Latrell we sign Walsh. We need a 7 more than a 6. Moses although not perfect has to be the best 7 available. Goal kicker also.

We need to upgrade our spine as much as possible. Also need a world class meter eater prop to get us out of our own end (no better than Haas), a physically strong winger to start sets off strong (no better than To'o) and a ball playing big forward in Matterson would be ideal.

By shedding the above players I believe we could afford these signings then have up and coming young guys filling the rest of the top 30 with a few experienced campaigners like Ava on close to minimum wage.
There is a small thing called a salary cap but love the wish list

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a small thing called a salary cap but love the wish list
You seriously don't think we could afford the 5 new players at around $4.4M if we shed
TPJ (750), RFM (500), Stimson (400), Hetherington (500), Dufty (400), Vaughan (400), Thompson (800), Jacko (700), Flanagan (450) Allan (500) and Burns (250) ?
That's around $6.5M there

Last edited:

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised if we see Flamingo in our jersey next year... no matter who is coach.

Sounds unlikely but word is getting stronger.
How are we getting him removed from the club??

Paying him 400k to sit at home?

xanderalexander

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You seriously don't think we could afford the 5 new players at around $4.4M if we shed
TPJ (750), RFM (500), Stimson (400), Hetherington (500), Dufty (400), Vaughan (400), Thompson (800), Jacko (700), Flanagan (450) Allan (500) and Burns (250) ?
That's around $6.5M there
It’s not just having the funds to buy. The player has to want to come here. If they don’t, we end up paying overs.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s not just having the funds to buy. The player has to want to come here. If they don’t, we end up paying overs.
I've already factored in that we'd be paying overs just like we did for Kikau and Mahoney. Just as we did with them you only usually need to pay 100K a season more than anyone else

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think Flanno (Jnr) is the problem in all honesty. A decent coach like Trent Robinson had him playing decent football.

Sure he's no Sam Walker or Cooper Cronk, but he's also young.

Heck maybe we need to get Cronk in as a halves consultant for Flanno and Burton.
Flange is only a park footballer nothing more maybe a little less ffs.