News Here to Stay: V’landys’ big call on day NRL grand final

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peter V’landys’ big call on day NRL grand final

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has weighed in on a renewed push from fans for the return of an afternoon kick-off for the NRL grand final.

The Sunday night NRL grand final is here to stay despite polls showing fans in overwhelming numbers would prefer an afternoon kick-off.

The issue was raised by Fox Sports star Matty Johns last week but independent commission boss Peter V’landys says the big night-time TV ratings are most important.

In a Daily Telegraph poll, more than 85 per cent of fans voted for an afternoon kick-off.

“At the end of the day, you’ve got to get the most eyeballs watching the grand final,” V’landys said. “Grand finals are a huge opportunity to promote the game and it’s proven that more people watch sport at night.

“We need to maximise our audience with major events. You might get some casual fans who will become rusted-on fans. At this stage, there are no plans to change it.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/96d59d7fd4306715509fde4c3520c154

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s a hypocritical **** isn’t he. Bangs on about the fans in regards to the rule changes. Bangs on about the fans with Mays joke of postponing his suspension. But then doesn’t give a fuck about the fans in regards to the GF. All about the dollar isn’t he.

Personally I think the 5pm kick off slot is a perfect time. Though as a parent the later kick off is perfect.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hopefully V'Landys himself isn't here to stay. He's not welcome or wanted in Rugby League by the vast majority of fans. He makes David Smith look like Ken Arthurson.
When does this slob ***** contract finish?

It's like he is bringing down the league from the inside.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When does this slob ***** contract finish?

It's like he is bringing down the league from the inside.
No idea man.. With this shitty commission I wouldn't be surprised if he's done some Putin shit and just made it a dictatorship

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's all about the money, that's why the NRL got him in isn't?

Regardless he's done more damage and set the game back with his rule changes and comments so anything he says tend to be painted with the same brush for me.

Game will kick off delayed at 8:15 so that they can cram as much crap down our throats as possible.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
V'Landys is making the mistake of looking at the night time viewing figures and assuming that they are high because of the time slot.
He is forgetting that the same people will tune into a 3.00pm game to watch the GF. it is the event that draws the crowds.

And get rid of the pathetic pre game entertainment. Put on the two GFs from the lower grades. I used to love tuning in at 11.00am to watch good rugby league all day - and it used to be a Saturday.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s a hypocritical **** isn’t he. Bangs on about the fans in regards to the rule changes. Bangs on about the fans with Mays joke of postponing his suspension. But then doesn’t give a fuck about the fans in regards to the GF. All about the dollar isn’t he.

Personally I think the 5pm kick off slot is a perfect time. Though as a parent the later kick off is perfect.
Totally agree, he is hypocritical.. However, I personally I loved a 3pm start..but I can compromise and go 4pm..

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Short-term thinking. He needs to get people attending games and being engaged on that level.

You just need to have walked through parramatta this week to see that footy is dieing there

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Most viewers have the TV on all day anyway.

Rebuilding Phase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He should also be worrying about the crowds numbers during the season. Sydney crowds are dying, it’s embarrassing.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not sticking up for the bloke but isn't the ratings point a valid one?
The Arvo timeslot for fans attending is much better than a late finish Sunday night.
Much like Gus I've always been a lover of Sunday afternoon footy.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sticking up for the bloke but isn't the ratings point a valid one?
The Arvo timeslot for fans attending is much better than a late finish Sunday night.
Much like Gus I've always been a lover of Sunday afternoon footy.
I could care less about the time of the GF. Although growing up on day GFs, I prefer that.. I'm just sick of V'landys and pretty much everyone else is too.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meanwhile Vlandys goes and royally fucks up the TV deals with Nine and Foxtel, compared to AFL.

Can we pinch the outgoing head of AFL and send Vlandys packing?!?!