Have you watched the replay of our trial game?

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know who our number 29 was in the trial ? Came On late in the second half, Short stocky fella had one good carry, looked strong.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I tried to count the set restarts and penalties in the first half, not easy, and I ended up at 6 to 2, which is why we struggled for field position. The 12 nil score line indicated how well the boys defended. The second half turned around a bit at 2 to 4, and we looked much better, dominated field position and racked up some points.

The refs are going to have even more hidden effects on games, 6 agains are too easy to stack without enough scrutiny.

Go Dogs
I counted 3 set restarts and two blown penalties by the 10th min mark

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I watched the replay today and there’s one passage of play that gave me optimism for a good year ahead.

Renouf making that clean line break and late offload....the pleasing part was I counted 5 of our players pushing up in support...like in recent years we would be lucky to have one!! Among the support were middle players Jacko and Hethrington

Elliott try Wakeham is also on his shoulder

I highlight this because it displays good attitude and proves our fitness levels across the board is the best it has been in years (considering Renouf made that break in the second half)

Ogden and Hethrington got through a ton of work, Elliott a beast, Jacko added nice touches with passing game.

Flanno didn’t set the world on fire but he had many touches and involvement which confidence wise bodes well for round one. His attack kicks need work but he will get it sorted.

I was impressed with Schoup as well, solid runner.

The right edge defence needs work but between the coaches and two experienced players (DWZ and Hoppa) you would hope that comes right.

I would’ve liked to see Wakeham run the footy , he seemed content to pass or kick (there was a moment second half he initiated a raid down the short side and should’ve shown and gone). He was solid though but Avo will give us more options and a different point of attack with his running game.

Trial games are just that but I’m sure as we build chemistry we will see a well run team on the paddock each week instead of the garbage since 2017

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The more I watch it, the more positives I see. I think we're going to develop into a really good side as the season continues. I'm really optimistic and see us as a top 8 team this year.
I also found plenty more upside in the trial when I watched it again. It was only a trial so even having our right edge defence exposed so bad is info Baz needed to have before Rd1. Avo coming in will add a lot of spark.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I watched the replay today and there’s one passage of play that gave me optimism for a good year ahead.

Renouf making that clean line break and late offload....the pleasing part was I counted 5 of our players pushing up in support...like in recent years we would be lucky to have one!! Among the support were middle players Jacko and Hethrington

Elliott try Wakeham is also on his shoulder

I highlight this because it displays good attitude and proves our fitness levels across the board is the best it has been in years (considering Renouf made that break in the second half)

Ogden and Hethrington got through a ton of work, Elliott a beast, Jacko added nice touches with passing game.

Flanno didn’t set the world on fire but he had many touches and involvement which confidence wise bodes well for round one. His attack kicks need work but he will get it sorted.

I was impressed with Schoup as well, solid runner.

The right edge defence needs work but between the coaches and two experienced players (DWZ and Hoppa) you would hope that comes right.

I would’ve liked to see Wakeham run the footy , he seemed content to pass or kick (there was a moment second half he initiated a raid down the short side and should’ve shown and gone). He was solid though but Avo will give us more options and a different point of attack with his running game.

Trial games are just that but I’m sure as we build chemistry we will see a well run team on the paddock each week instead of the garbage since 2017
Hetho is a fantastic buy.. basically a better version of Tolman so nothing lossed and plenty gained.

Schoup is a a smokey in my opinion.. Would go well anywhere in that backline and can kick goals. Tempting to shift Cotric to wing and Schoup into centre.

Easy to see Waddell and Meaney are our weak links..

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
I watched the first 58mins
I switched off after Toomaga's break

Only positive
It was a trial
Still need a speedy left centre
A right centre
Hooker
A play One front rower
Wingers
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We looked solid not great. Cotric had an impact coming out of our end makes a huge difference. Considering we were missing RFM Thompson Averillo I was impressed. RFM and averillo can spark our attack. Elliott looked good and deitz was a nice surprise. Can’t wait for rd 1

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I watched the first 58mins
I switched off after Toomaga's break

Only positive
It was a trial
Still need a speedy left centre
A right centre
Hooker
A play One front rower
Wingers
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc
Etc

1. We have 2 props to come back in thompson and napa
2. How do you know that we need a speedly left center if cotric was never given any quality ball with time and space in attack to see what he can do?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Watched it again.

I thought Wakeham and Waddell went better than I first thought.

Waddell has an offload on him.

They both made mistakes but were thereabouts with their attack and defence.

All the guys with the twentys on their backs who came on, contributed well.

We seem to have some goid depth.

Sign Atoni asap. Top priority. Other teams will be looking at him. He is SBW like if he can get a bit more confident and involved.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
1. We have 2 props to come back in thompson and napa
2. How do you know that we need a speedly left center if cotric was never given any quality ball with time and space in attack to see what he can do?
Cotric is a right winger..
He doesn't have the speed or the skill to be an attacking left Centre
Your left centre is your Ferrari
He aint that

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The other thing to pick up on is Sutton.

This scrum rule where if defenders break early (on his say so) is bound to be used by him to disadvantage whoever (usually us).

From that scrum we got within 5?m of try line, on the attack, with Sharks desperately trying to reset. Quick ptb and possible try.

No Sutton blows a penalty to us for scrum.

So its replayed without us gaining any advantage and in fact being disadvantaged. Every team will do that as a tactic now.

Flog.