Hasler instilling mental toughness into the Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
FIRST the Bulldogs stole supercoach Des Hasler and his staff from Manly.

And by the end of this year, star duo Keiran Foran and Brett Stewart could follow them across the harbour.

But perhaps the most valuable asset Canterbury will ever take from Manly is attitude.

In his first two months at Belmore, Hasler has been intent on grafting the relentless silvertail mindset into a talented playing squad that under-achieved in 2011.

He's also brought cutting edge technology, allowing trainers to monitor the individual training patterns in real time.

But according to skipper Michael Ennis, it's the mental overhaul that counts most.

Warming up for next week's return to pre-season training with a hit of tennis opposite US giant John Isner at Olympic Park yesterday, Ennis expects his side to emerge from the final stretch of pre-season training with a touch of Manly swagger.

"It's pretty evident in the way Manly have played over the past few years, what style Des coaches and what he expects," Ennis said.

"They are different playing groups, but Des has really been concentrating on the basics and fundamentals at training.

"That's been Manly's strength and a key to their success recently: they play a fair and tough game and are very disciplined. They play physical and they grind.

"That comes from Des being meticulous about preparation and everything we do at training.

"We've been inconsistent in a lot of areas. We needed to understand who we are as a team and what we stand for.

"Des wants us to play a style and brand of football, regardless of who the opposition is."

Ennis has not played since last year's Origin decider in early July, which he finished with a neck complaint that required surgery.

He also had a minor knee operation during the off-season and is on track for next month's trials - although it's unlikely Hasler will over-burden the NSW Origin rake with practice matches ahead of another arduous season. Off-contract winger Steve Turner is also managing his troublesome right knee well, and is primed for a big season to earn an extension from Hasler.

Turner compared Hasler's workaholic ethos to that of Craig Bellamy, his former coach in Melbourne.

"Both are similar, it's their intense focus on preparation - not just for games but also training," Turner said.

"They both look back at training sessions and look at where we can improve. And they both spend a lot of time in their offices, working hard.

"Des is big about us being accountable, setting goals and executing them.

"It's an attitude thing and when Des came here he really wanted to test us out to see how mentally tough we are and whether we were up for it."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...nto-the-bulldogs/story-e6frexnr-1226238557873

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran and brett ? What would happen to Barba ? Play him off the bench ? He reminds me of hornby when he was fullback for the dragons always dropping the high kicks maybe
hasler can put some confidence into barba under the high ball. Barba great in attack but his defence is not so good

Foran and Brett is just rumours atm ?

Browny

Waterboy
Reaction score
As good as Brett can be I personally would hate to see him in blue n white. He is a dog not a bulldog, and a player I have loved to hate for a long time.
Fair enough we sign Des and he wants his coaching staff but to then just start bringing manly players over is a load of 5h!t, except maybe Foran lol
If Des really came to the bulldogs for a challenge he wouldn't want them either. He should be focussing on our juniors and proving himself as a coach who can develop our young boys and get the best out of the squad we have.
He has the leading try scorer and leading line breaks from own half, attacking weapon of Barba who he should be taking the challenge of coaching into an all-rounded fullback.
He should be shutting down any talk of manly player signings (even if they are just media rumours) before our players start looking else where when they think they will be replaced the next yr.
bring on 2012

polecat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I find it ridiculous that we would even contemplate signing B Stewart, although he is certainly a top player.
We dont need a fullback, especially one in his price bracket. Foran will be a great player for years to come
no matter who he plays for, lets hope it will be with us : )

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
B Stewart to injury prone, let him & his brother go back to the gong where they belong. ( how poetic lol )

P

Paint.

FFS you guys, you take everything too literally.

No where did the article say we'll sign stewart or foran, thats not even close to the point of the article.

The only reason they mentioned it is to compare the effect of Hasler's arrival.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm hoping this talk about mental toughness is more than words. We have a pretty strong forward pack if they turn up to play, they should come close to the top 5 packs IMO. We also have some exciting backs and some who still need to prove themselves. Last season they just didn't seem to get their sh!t together very often. We saw glimpses of what they could do during each match but more often we saw them playing like they were expecting to lose or like they were biding their time.

Last season we were able to either start well and die at the end of the match or coast through slowly conceding points until the last 20 or 30 minutes and then the side would unleash and come heart-breakingly close to running down the leads they'd conceded. I've supported the dogs for long enough to expect that mental toughness to be an integral part of the squad and i've really missed it for the last few years. Would love to see them get it back.

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
I think it was pretty obvious we were way behind many teams last year in rgds to mental toughness. Manly have performed with a pretty modest roster. No real superstars there

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping this talk about mental toughness is more than words. We have a pretty strong forward pack if they turn up to play, they should come close to the top 5 packs IMO. We also have some exciting backs and some who still need to prove themselves. Last season they just didn't seem to get their sh!t together very often. We saw glimpses of what they could do during each match but more often we saw them playing like they were expecting to lose or like they were biding their time.

Last season we were able to either start well and die at the end of the match or coast through slowly conceding points until the last 20 or 30 minutes and then the side would unleash and come heart-breakingly close to running down the leads they'd conceded. I've supported the dogs for long enough to expect that mental toughness to be an integral part of the squad and i've really missed it for the last few years. Would love to see them get it back.
With you 100% on that. We had a pretty ordinary approach to many games last year. The "never give in" attitude went AWOL in a manner very unlike the Bulldogs of old.

I'd love to see our current squad play with some confidence and flair. We had a touch of it toward the end of the season, but it was still not quite sharp enough.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Less talk more action on the field, we can only wait until the season starts now.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been saying for over 5 years that we're mentally weak and that's a huge reason for so many of our problems and one of the things that excited me most about the prospect about getting Hasler was that he would correct that straight away. He always has his team mentally and physically prepared and our teams weren't mentally focused, accountable nor physically prepared for the most part since 2004.

It's been unacceptable, amateurish and pathetic and finally someone like Hasler is here to make the players realise this and make them accountable.

I have no idea why no coaches or anyone at the club could address what was so painfully obvious to me and others for 7 frustrating seasons of this crap creeping in and ruining our chances each year, but I'm glad we finally got it right, found the right man for the job and at the very least, these glaringly obvious flaws will be addressed. The culture needed an overhaul and finally we have that.

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As good as Brett can be I personally would hate to see him in blue n white. He is a dog not a bulldog, and a player I have loved to hate for a long time.
Fair enough we sign Des and he wants his coaching staff but to then just start bringing manly players over is a load of 5h!t, except maybe Foran lol
If Des really came to the bulldogs for a challenge he wouldn't want them either. He should be focussing on our juniors and proving himself as a coach who can develop our young boys and get the best out of the squad we have.
He has the leading try scorer and leading line breaks from own half, attacking weapon of Barba who he should be taking the challenge of coaching into an all-rounded fullback.
He should be shutting down any talk of manly player signings (even if they are just media rumours) before our players start looking else where when they think they will be replaced the next yr.
bring on 2012
This, I hate him too !

Status
Not open for further replies.