Has Hasler lost the respect of the playing group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I call bullshit.

Des does not want to drop Hodko due to team harmony and he probably thinks if he drops Hodko to NSW Cup that he is not mentally strong enough to wake up.

He cannot drop Mbye back to NSW Cup as Mbye has done his dues in NSW Cup and he has impressed in first grade. So Des is throwing Mbye in wherever he can so he is in first grade and the media does not start a "player out of favour" campaigns which is only a small thing but leads to 1000's of bullshit rumours.

I am adamant that Mbye is in Des's future going ahead and he is letting nature take his course with Hodko.

with Hasler the thing which ticks me off is that he does not have the balls to drop Hodko to NSW Cup as his heart is with the person and not the player.
Which sums up the argument over and over here, but still doesn't answer the question, who do you pick instead?

Des has to actually pick the strongest team he can, he doesn't have the kennel luxury of deciding to drop everyone and not worry about how to fill that spot (and he absolutely can drop Mbye back to NSW Cup, the guy is still developing, he's done great, but he isn't the world beater the kennel makes him out to be more so out of frustration with Hodko and JR than what he has done himself. Mbye is doing well, but he hasn't earned a full time spot just yet imo)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thompson centre and Stanley wing till we have both Lafai and Morris back... Stanley when fit was very good on the wing last season, strong runner and great under the highball.... thompson could handle centre, he is smart and a handy defender.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Which sums up the argument over and over here, but still doesn't answer the question, who do you pick instead?

Des has to actually pick the strongest team he can, he doesn't have the kennel luxury of deciding to drop everyone and not worry about how to fill that spot (and he absolutely can drop Mbye back to NSW Cup, the guy is still developing, he's done great, but he isn't the world beater the kennel makes him out to be more so out of frustration with Hodko and JR than what he has done himself. Mbye is doing well, but he hasn't earned a full time spot just yet imo)
Don't say anything bad about mbye, here you'll be stoned to death

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't say anything bad about mbye, here you'll be stoned to death
I've found Mbye to look very, very adequate so far with signs of some promise, but really, if he was beating the door down for a halves spot...... at this point, he'd have one. Is he going a bit better than Hodko this year? yes....... but Hodko is playing on one leg, so that's not really thrilling.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I don't think he has lost the respect of the playing group, probably far from it.
It has got to the point where questions do need to be answered. One quality all great coaches should have is to be able to adapt to the variables such as who we are playing and what players we have available. We don't seem to do that. We don't pick out our opposition weaknesses and try to expose them and we definitely don't seem to try to anticipate where they will attack us and counteract it.
Des is living on this philosophy that high percentage football wins games. Clearly it doesn't. We had a higher completion rate and possession against STGI and got towelled up big time.
Perhaps it's a case of Des being afraid of losing the group if he rocks the boat too much?

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mbye is no JT or Cronk though he is starting to develop in first grade. He is over developed for NSW Cup now, and it is going to take him a couple of years to develop into a consistent first grade player. Moylan, Brooks, Elgey, Lichaa, etc was and still are in the same position as Mbye and you do not drop those players down to NSW Cup.

do we have a better option than Hodko? Farhken oath we do ---->Mbye.

what has Mbye got over Hodko?

1. Speed
2. Confidence
3. 2 working knees
4. General kicking game - long and short
5. Running with the ball and putting players through holes
6. Passing game - throwing a standard HB's cut out pass
7. Age
8. Energy

hodko does not have any of these attributes which are "basic" attributes for a halfback. if you do not think Mbye has earned his spot fulltime over Hodko than i guess we have totally different opinions in regards to basic attributes of a halfback and what is required of them

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
2. Players attitude during the games - once it becomes obvious that the game is lost we routinely seem to go through the motions rather than dig in. I hate watching other teams who compete every game without their stars - do not care if we lose but expect a higher of commitment.
Its like we have a team of Jarryd Haynes without the talent.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This side generally is busting their gut in defence & That says Halser is still respected... The problem is our halves cant setup a r**t in a brothel.. If anything Haslers problem has been his loyalty to Hodko - and at least this week he relegated T-Rex to the bench

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like many on the Kennel I have been frustrated by the activity surrounding the dogs for the past few years and am now convinced that Hasler has lost the playing group.

It seems to me that everyone is Too afraid to say this out loud or mention it so I am asking the question.

My reasoning's behind it;

2. Players attitude during the games - once it becomes obvious that the game is lost we routinely seem to go through the motions rather than dig in. I hate watching other teams who compete every game without their stars - do not care if we lose but expect a higher of commitment.

3. The "no dropping of players" policy - If the players have become too complacent with their security in the team irrespective of success, then this tells me they really do not care what Des says/rants about because they know they will not get dropped. Lets see if Williams, Reynolds, Kasiano etc really ramp it up if they get dropped or if they spit it and want to go elsewhere. Look at Mitch Brown, picked every game last year, never dropped, goes to the sharks, Cannot crack first grade despite his apparent experience.

4, The game plan it self - earlier this year it was announced that the dogs had spent more money on another Hasler request - cameras at the ground for training and game time. This was meant to help the players know where to stand, correct their positioning etc. There is no evidence in any game that this has helped. I do not see the players responding in a way that says to me, Bugger, I know he is watching and I will pull my finger out. I do not see the players attacking with depth, purpose, passion and intensity. If you believe then you will commit, we are not committed.

Maybe no-one wants to say it, after all it is Des Hasler, but if it is not the lack of respect then why are we competing like and under 6 team?

If and I hope that I am wrong, why cannot Des/Ralene/Ray gives the fans some clearer answers on the current activity and the direction we are taking with our recruitment to plug the very obvious gaps we have.
Personally I think the three comments that I've focused on make up the core reason of our 2015 results.

Yes, we have had suspensions and injuries but the reason is more deep seated than that. IMO the players attitudes (bordering depression) is caused by the fact that the chronic non performers are always selected and that there is no game plan. And the "after all it is Des Hasler" thing just doesn't wash any more. What matters is what Hasler is doing now, not what he has done in the past.

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score
Not that anybody cares but I somehow think that the side is going through internal problems within the playing ranks similar to the probs with Barba, there are a lot of players
putting in & doing there work & the work of others that are just not aiming up, for those that are not doing there work loads need to be shown the door & I'm sure all supporter
would know of whom I'm talking about, shoot me down I really don't care but before you do just have a look at the playing roster that we have.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another Stupid thread, with absolutely no basis or any kind of truth to it.

Malla

Reaction score
Lol come on guys. We are playing without the best winger/fullback in the game. One of the best Centres on form before injury and were without the best front rower in the world. Of course we were going to go through a slump.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This X 1000.
Injuries and suspensions are the reason for our current form.
Its not the form that disappoints me...its the fact that structually we completely fall apart without Graham...

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Its not the form that disappoints me...its the fact that structually we completely fall apart without Graham...
It's true that we struggle without graham, which we all know, is mainly down to our halves form.
But teams falling apart with a particular player out, is not something new. Storm - Cameron smith, eels - jarred hayne, Cowboys - JT. I'll admit, it's rare that such an important player is a prop.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
It's true that we struggle without graham, which we all know, is mainly down to our halves form.
But teams falling apart with a particular player out, is not something new. Storm - Cameron smith, eels - jarred hayne, Cowboys - JT. I'll admit, it's rare that such an important player is a prop.
And thats why i won't cop it as an excuse. Because he is a prop. I hate our structure, but the halves still fail to carry it out and that leads to a shit load of errors and dumb plays from others. This just proves out 2 SOO halves don't have what it takes to lead us to a comp.

likeadoggy

Banned
Reaction score
What a load of shit !
Ffs, there isn't a team in the comp that'd still be Winning with 5 internationals out.
Anybody judging this team on our last 5 weeks needs their head read. We were 3 from 4 before the good Friday NRL raping. And we should've won that game too.
We have some issues, no doubt, but respect for hasler isn't one of them.
we weren't good enough to win the game. Souths basically said here you are Bulldogs, extract your revenge of sorts and we couldn't do it. There's no way des has lost the dressing room though, thats ridiculous.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye is no JT or Cronk though he is starting to develop in first grade. He is over developed for NSW Cup now, and it is going to take him a couple of years to develop into a consistent first grade player. Moylan, Brooks, Elgey, Lichaa, etc was and still are in the same position as Mbye and you do not drop those players down to NSW Cup.

do we have a better option than Hodko? Farhken oath we do ---->Mbye.

what has Mbye got over Hodko?

1. Speed
2. Confidence
3. 2 working knees
4. General kicking game - long and short
5. Running with the ball and putting players through holes
6. Passing game - throwing a standard HB's cut out pass
7. Age
8. Energy

hodko does not have any of these attributes which are "basic" attributes for a halfback. if you do not think Mbye has earned his spot fulltime over Hodko than i guess we have totally different opinions in regards to basic attributes of a halfback and what is required of them
I agree with lots of your points, but you missed one...... another thing Mbye has over Hodko right now is he can slot into the centre role, thus allowing him to be there.

If you think all on his own, Mbye has EARNED a full time fg spot so far? then I imagine we do have totally different opinions....... has he done better than Hodko so far this season? yes, I believe he has. I believe he has made some very good steps forward, but being a little better than a guy playing on one leg isn't quite enough IMO. Playing at their best.... Hodko is still better, add to that Mbye can do much the same job in other positions, why should Des make a call to drop one and weaken another spot? (so far).

To the point of the thread...... calm the **** down, I see our current situation being very much tied to that Souths game, if you still don't agree.......... check Souths win/loss record since then, it hurt us both, only one could have decided to not roll over and decide it was ok for our guys to take a hit there.

The season is far from over, and the current bump is pretty hard to blame on Des.

Status
Not open for further replies.