News Gutherson

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn’t mind this, however I’m still hopeful the fox will get first crack! JAC one of the best backs in the NRL over the last 5 years

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's an inspirational captain but not in the class of Turbo, Teddy, Pappy or Latrell....so not worth $900k... more like $725k

silverelvis69

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't think i could stand the sight of him in our colors. He's an effort player with good footy IQ and leadership but doesn't provide any X Factor that the good modern day fullbacks have.
Leadership we need and lack

He will be a good buy

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just got rid of two "effort" players in Lewis and Reynolds. They can't win you comps, next.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Can we not create a new thread about every player off contract for 2023? It's not even 2022 yet and we haven't even seen any the dozen new players we have signed play yet.
That’s what’s broken about the transfer system.
It should be 1 July of the year a deal ends when you can begin negotiations with a player for the following year. It will be obvious who’s available if they haven’t already re-signed with their existing club and if a deal can’t be done in 4 months it’s unlikely to ever be done.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
cough, cough...no cap left...cough, cough...full roster...cough, cough...will just use us to drive up his price...cough, cough...shit haircut...cough, cough
Better get that covid cough checked mate...

I think he's a good player to chase.
Dont get me wrong, im excited we have Dufty next season and expect good things, but Gutho is one of the better fullbacks in the comp, he has very good footy brain and most of all he's a good captain.

We need a good captain. Jacko's time is over. Nice guy but we need to win premierships now and need a captainthat can give us even keel with refs

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Dont get me wrong, im excited we have Dufty next season and expect good things, but Gutho is one of the better fullbacks in the comp, he has very good footy brain and most of all he's a good captain.

We need a good captain. Jacko's time is over. Nice guy but we need to win premierships now and need a captainthat can give us even keel with refs
Gutho is an absolute fuking tool. Not a game winner hence why parra will never win a comp with gutho and moses.
Don’t understand the jackson talk. He is a very captain, leads by example and has the respect of his team mates, which is the most important thing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It should be 1 July of the year a deal ends when you can begin negotiations with a player for the following year. It will be obvious who’s available if they haven’t already re-signed with their existing club and if a deal can’t be done in 4 months it’s unlikely to ever be done.
It's the dumbest system ever. In almost no other league can you sign for another club a full season in advance.

All it does is create further disruption for all of the clubs, coaches and players and messy situations that could be avoided like signing someone who tears their ACL several months before they join their future club. Case in point McInness with Cronulla or us with Blake Green..

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just choking on the bullshit story of us being a possibility of signing Gutho. He'll stay at the Eels, I'm sure of it.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It's the dumbest system ever. In almost no other league can you sign for another club a full season in advance.

All it does is create further disruption for all of the clubs, coaches and players and messy situations that could be avoided like signing someone who tears their ACL several months before they join their future club. Case in point McInness with Cronulla or us with Blake Green..
Agree. Madness. Why November? Being off-season? Or just keeping RL in the news over summer? I don’t buy the ‘off-season doesn’t disrupt a players season’ story - how many times do you hear a player say ‘I’m leaving that with my manager’. Let the manager do what they’re paid to do behind the scenes, present the options to the player over lunch one random Monday towards the end of August, take a week to make a decision and you’re either staying put or maybe moving in October. I don’t see why clubs would say that’s not enough time to prepare for the following year - they’d have a good feeling well before 1 July whether an existing player is likely to re-sign and also know who they plan to cut despite what they say publicly.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree. Madness. Why November? Being off-season? Or just keeping RL in the news over summer? I don’t buy the ‘off-season doesn’t disrupt a players season’ story - how many times do you hear a player say ‘I’m leaving that with my manager’. Let the manager do what they’re paid to do behind the scenes, present the options to the player over lunch one random Monday towards the end of August, take a week to make a decision and you’re either staying put or maybe moving in October. I don’t see why clubs would say that’s not enough time to prepare for the following year - they’d have a good feeling well before 1 July whether an existing player is likely to re-sign and also know who they plan to cut despite what they say publicly.
From memory it was because the RLPA cried about players needing more time to decide their future moves for schools, housing etc.

Which is all a bunch of complete bullshit as players change clubs mid season more than ever and seem to sort all of that out within a week or two without any problems.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gutho is an absolute fuking tool. Not a game winner hence why parra will never win a comp with gutho and moses.
Don’t understand the jackson talk. He is a very captain, leads by example and has the respect of his team mates, which is the most important thing
Jacko also saves us some salary cap with discount. Keeper.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
From memory it was because the RLPA cried about players needing more time to decide their future moves for schools, housing etc.

Which is all a bunch of complete bullshit as players change clubs mid season more than ever and seem to sort all of that out within a week or two without any problems.
Yep. Nothing insurmountable.
What about when players actually worked for a living in addition to playing footy? Such entitlement…

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Keep in mind that if it's open on 1st July then negotiations can often drag on through August and September.

That's the way it was previously (1st July) and the fans and the media were complaining that players were going into a final series having just signed the day, week, month before to move to another team in the few weeks after the final series finished. There were constant questions about how dedicated they would be to their current team when they had just, maybe even the day before, made the decision to walk away and go elsewhere. Which may even be to the team that they are playing in the finals. This happens at the time when the NRL wants everyone concentrating on the finals being played, not who was moving where and whether they were still loyal to their current club.

From a club perspective do you really want your players negotiating their next contract while the team is preparing for the finals? Talk about a distraction for them and their teammates. Plus the coaching staff won't be wondering "is this guy going to still put in when he is moving"?

At least with the 1st November opening the questions are almost all asked before the pre season games start, by the time the proper season starts the heat has died out of the player movements. Their teammates have had time to get over losing a player for next year and can get on with the current season. The coaching staff have had time to satisfy themselves, early in the season, that the player isn't slacking off because he is leaving. Plus the NRL likes it because it generates a lot of interest in the off season.

For sure neither timing is perfect, but July has much more of a stigma to it than November.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if it's open on 1st July then negotiations can often drag on through August and September.

That's the way it was previously (1st July) and the fans and the media were complaining that players were going into a final series having just signed the day, week, month before to move to another team in the few weeks after the final series finished. There were constant questions about how dedicated they would be to their current team when they had just, maybe even the day before, made the decision to walk away and go elsewhere. Which may even be to the team that they are playing in the finals. This happens at the time when the NRL wants everyone concentrating on the finals being played, not who was moving where and whether they were still loyal to their current club.

From a club perspective do you really want your players negotiating their next contract while the team is preparing for the finals? Talk about a distraction for them and their teammates. Plus the coaching staff won't be wondering "is this guy going to still put in when he is moving"?

At least with the 1st November opening the questions are almost all asked before the pre season games start, by the time the proper season starts the heat has died out of the player movements. Their teammates have had time to get over losing a player for next year and can get on with the current season. The coaching staff have had time to satisfy themselves, early in the season, that the player isn't slacking off because he is leaving. Plus the NRL likes it because it generates a lot of interest in the off season.

For sure neither timing is perfect, but July has much more of a stigma to it than November.

Always a Bulldog
No negotiations should be allowed to officially take place til after the Grand Final. It's the same in almost every other sport. The NFL, NBA, MLB etc don't let players sign for other teams a year in advance or even 6 months in advance. All free agency is done several weeks after the end of the season. The same should happen in the NRL. I don't see why they're any different.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No negotiations should be allowed to officially take place til after the Grand Final. It's the same in almost every other sport. The NFL, NBA, MLB etc don't let players sign for other teams a year in advance or even 6 months in advance. All free agency is done several weeks after the end of the season. The same should happen in the NRL. I don't see why they're any different.
NBA trades are still happening now and the season has started. The NFL trade deadline is today. The MLB season started on 1st April and the trade deadline was 30th July.

I would add that the average NFL, NBA and MLB players get paid ship loads more than the average NRL player so moving isn't as much of financial burden.

Always a Bulldog