News Gus v Tigers: The Luai Lottery goes into overdrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m glad we missed out in him considering the money he was commanding but it’s the fact that Gus can’t even pull a Luai move over to us for around the right price is concerning, especially when you consider the connections Luai has with us at our club. It just shows that even with all that leverage that we had over the Tigers in terms of getting Luai, Gus really isn’t a pull factor for even his own marquee players.
All of that goes out the window when another club offers 200-300k more a year. Clearly Luai was after the most money. Money was the biggest factor. I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price. He's not worth $1.2 million - $1.3 million for 5 years. That makes him pretty much the highest paid player in the comp.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m on the same page here, signing both those players would have seen us right up there in the 8 ..

Burton, Kikau, JAC … left side.
Critta, Preston, Kiraz, … right side.

Luai, Sexton half’s.

Options at FB, plus good young talent coming through ..

AFB the alpha prop leading the way up front …

I trust Gus knows what he’s doing and has very good reasons on why he didn’t sign either of them, especially considering he’s a big fan of both players.
Gus lost the battle to sign these players, he didn’t choose not to :(

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ok checking in with some of my insiders soon to find out exactly what the hell happened but early info recieved is that this is one of our biggest signing bungles in history and just another to add to the list for recent history
It’s a bungle if we sign him and a bungle if we don’t sign him?
Were you “assigned female at birth”?

Last edited:

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m glad we missed out in him considering the money he was commanding but it’s the fact that Gus can’t even pull a Luai move over to us for around the right price is concerning, especially when you consider the connections Luai has with us at our club. It just shows that even with all that leverage that we had over the Tigers in terms of getting Luai, Gus really isn’t a pull factor for even his own marquee players.
I think Gus' hit rate is alright considering he's brought over kikau, mahoney and crichton in the space of two years. Xerri was also had strong demand once he became available.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank god cant wait to c the big mouth without nathan next too him ,i think ivans comments about him not sure if lui can run a team has cut him bad ,hell cop so much shit at tigers will be so funny

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Forward? I dont understand the acronim plz explain
Its hard to tell these days, the kids have so many different meanings for different acronims. for example it could mean;

# FW > FEELING WELL
# FW > FUNNY WALLY
# FW > FULL WITTY
# FW > FART WAGON
# FW > FROZEN WILLY

These crazy kids have so many even some nasty ones like FUCKEN WANKER, FUCKWIT, or even FUCKTARD WOMBAT.. I suppose you could just pick one that you feel suits?

Dingobat

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All of that goes out the window when another club offers 200-300k more a year. Clearly Luai was after the most money. Money was the biggest factor. I'm glad we didn't sign him for that price. He's not worth $1.2 million - $1.3 million for 5 years. That makes him pretty much the highest paid player in the comp.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the dogs offer was just a tad higher than Penrith 850k offer. Luai is not a 1 million dollar player.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes ... and No.

I don't think this is about "Pulling Power" (no dirty pun intended)

The tigers reportedly offered him a heap more per year than he would've got with us.

Sure, we could've raised it a bit and maybe he came to us?

But, we stuck to our evaluation and Luai went for the money.

Good for him.

But also good for us for setting the standard.
Agree 100% mate.

I actually think a million plus for Laui and AFB would be almost irresponsible .... for that kind of money i expect slam dunk signings.

5 years of Laui could have also potentially hindered the development of Woods/ KO who you know i am very high on.

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thank god cant wait to c the big mouth without nathan next too him ,i think ivans comments about him not sure if lui can run a team has cut him bad ,hell cop so much shit at tigers will be so funny
He can’t run a team

What evidence is there that he’s run a team for a prolonged period of time with high standards to be able to lead the tigers off the bottom of the table ?

There is none because he’s never been afforded the opportunity to do so .

The tigers have gone all in and taking a big risk but one has to ask the question if you’re out laying that type of money for a half you’re not paying that type of money to finish 12th-16th , you want to pay that money for someone who can win you a premiership and I’m sorry but the tigers are not winning a premiership in years 1-3 during luai’s tenure .There roster is still bent outta shape and what wiggle room do they have to recruit the quality required to get them into finals ?

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Half of the people complaining about Gus not signing Luai would have complained and hammered Gus if we signed him for $1.3 million for 5 years. Either way they'd find something to whinge about.
Just block them like I have, then I don't have to listen to stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.