Official Gus on Twitter

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Averillo a better ball runner than Naden?
Stop it.
Yes. Naden more powerful but is a better winger than centre, Naden also played in a backline of an absolutely stacked side with miles more space. You're kidding if you don't think Jake would be as a elusive in a similar side with that sort of space.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
You are assuming that JCook is going to be better than JMK, what if like Dietz he’s turns out not to be? “Squad balance and long term development” are irrelevant if we pick the inferior player/s. In season 2022 there are games to be played and won, let’s pick the players that contribute the most to achieving that objective.

Always a Bulldog
Cook, being a natural 9 already has the advantage. Deitz didn't get a decent chance in first grade, underplayed when available and injured a lot of the time. The shit he cops on here is ridiculous.

So ignore the fact we need to figure out our situation at 7 because you think JMK and BBO will win us more games then Cook and JMK?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd back Averillo as a ball runner over all of them at this stage.
That's a pretty hot take, he's obviously a good support runner and broken field runner but I don't know if he's the best of those guys in situations Centres run in.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
That's a pretty hot take, he's obviously a good support runner and broken field runner but I don't know if he's the best of those guys in situations Centres run in.
He looked fine doing it at centre in the lower grades, even when he first came into the NRL at centre he showed ability playing in a rubbish side and with Lewis feeding him. I really think a lot of our fans are sleeping on him because of the state of our firstgrade side. I know it probably doesn't mean that much but he was breaking tackles at a higher rate per run than Cotric and we all know Cotric ran around in circles at times racking up those SC tackle breaks lol.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't it better for his development to play 80 minutes as a half (even if it's in NSW Cup) then 20-30 minutes as a Hooker or Half?

We know Mahoney is coming in 23 and he can play big minutes, so his minutes become further restricted there.

I agree with your sentiment regarding JMK, the solution, if Mahoney doesn't come early could be:
9. Cook
14. JMK

That way, we're developing and playing an actual 9, which leaves us in a better situation long term. JMK, for all his shortcomings is pretty versatile and allows us cover more positions in case of injuries.
Yep see that side of it too given he missed so much footy the last 2 years. I think he’s a real instinctive footy player I’d like to see him build on his first grade experience behind a stronger forward pack. His versatility means he can cover a few spots for us. If he starts off in reserve grade it wouldn’t be the worst thing but surely given what he’s shown he has a head start on some others like Cook for a bench spot.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cook, being a natural 9 already has the advantage. Deitz didn't get a decent chance in first grade, underplayed when available and injured a lot of the time. The shit he cops on here is ridiculous.

So ignore the fact we need to figure out our situation at 7 because you think JMK and BBO will win us more games then Cook and JMK?
I honestly don’t know, and I suspect none of us do. What I am going to do is to wait and watch, there is a lot of water to flow under that bridge before the season even starts, then there is a whole season following. Gould may even have another Kikau rabbit in his hat to pull out and surprise us all.

I’m a bit over the constant thinking that the grass is always greener (when a player comes from another team) especially when the current players have been unfairly branded with the stigma of the last 5 years of players surrounding them.

Always a Bulldog

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People read way too much into these tweets sometimes.. Gus isn't going to divulge the full team selection and gameplan four months out from the start of the season.. There's a reason why they have preseason training and trials.. A lot can change between now and then...

Either way, no matter what number he wears and what Baz's system was last year, Burton will be the primary playmaker. We didn't sign the best young half in the comp to not have the ball in his hands more than everyone else.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I honestly don’t know, and I suspect none of us do. What I am going to do is to wait and watch, there is a lot of water to flow under that bridge before the season even starts, then there is a whole season following. Gould may even have another Kikau rabbit in his hat to pull out and surprise us all.

I’m a bit over the constant thinking that the grass is always greener (when a player comes from another team) especially when the current players have been unfairly branded with the stigma of the last 5 years of players surrounding them.

Always a Bulldog
Out of the current 16 starting dummy halves, where do you rank JMK?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We been saying this but people want to put him in centres [emoji23]
I think he could play centre but I'd rather him start at 7 and be given the opportunity in a better side.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think he could play centre but I'd rather him start at 7 and be given the opportunity in a better side.
I’d prefer him at 7, he’s going to have less responsibility next season w Burton and will be able to play to his strengths more (running)

He’s bulked up a bit so could handle centre but we got good outside backs cover

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
We been saying this but people want to put him in centres [emoji23]
The 7,6,9 tweet he is replying back to a comment on BBO best position

Alot of people think BBO is a hooker because he went okay there and backed up but he is a much better halfback you dont just ruin talent like that and throw him to tackle 115kg plus ***** ahaha

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The 7,6,9 tweet he is replying back to a comment on BBO best position

Alot of people think BBO is a hooker because he went okay there and backed up but he is a much better halfback you dont just ruin talent like that and throw him to tackle 115kg plus ***** ahaha
gus said they training Averillo to be a 7. BBO will get time in reserve grade at 7 or 6 and learn his craft. Im sure he is next cab of the rank is one of the halves get injured