Official Gus on Twitter

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not really a lock at 14 for his career it’s more I like the flexibility of having him come on in the halves or at 9 whilst he’s trying to earn a starting position. Respectfully disagree with you on JMK. I don’t want him guaranteed minutes next season when we have somebody else who can jump in and proven to be dangerous. The beauty of depth something we haven’t enjoyed in recent years.
Isn't it better for his development to play 80 minutes as a half (even if it's in NSW Cup) then 20-30 minutes as a Hooker or Half?

We know Mahoney is coming in 23 and he can play big minutes, so his minutes become further restricted there.

I agree with your sentiment regarding JMK, the solution, if Mahoney doesn't come early could be:
9. Cook
14. JMK

That way, we're developing and playing an actual 9, which leaves us in a better situation long term. JMK, for all his shortcomings is pretty versatile and allows us cover more positions in case of injuries.

Last edited:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Does this make you think they have Jake earmarked as a 14. Theoretically, he can play 1-7, with some time could cover 9 and potentially could spend time as a small ball 13?
I think jake is cover for if dufty doesn’t go well

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Does this make you think they have Jake earmarked as a 14. Theoretically, he can play 1-7, with some time could cover 9 and potentially could spend time as a small ball 13?
No. Half, centre or not in firstgrade.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think Avo will get first shot @7. With Burton @6 and Mahoney @9 a lot of the end of sets pressure will be off him especially with Burton’s huge boot and Mahoney short game.

He needs to own it though, or it will be reggies.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He's got too much natural ability to lock him in as a 14 at this stage. There's no point to putting pressure on JMK, he's out of the picture as of 23 anyway.
Of course there’s a point in putting pressure on JMK, he’s our hooker for 2022 and we want him giving his best. If some pressure to hold his position for the next game, every game, helps then farkin bring it on.

He’s also playing for his next contract, so being shown up and/or dropped for a rookie does nothing fthat.

FWIW JMK has a contract for 2023, so he’s only “out of the picture” if he wants to be.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course there’s a point in putting pressure on JMK, he’s our hooker for 2022 and we want him giving his best. If some pressure to hold his position for the next game, every game, helps then farkin bring it on.

Always a Bulldog
Why are you assuming JMK is our Hooker for next year?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That first reply by Gus saying he will be "prepared" as a 7 doesn't scream confidence that he believes averillo is our best choice for 7 bro.
That is exactly what I call reading between the lines...
Unless there is a major change in form the halfbacks will be picked in this order
1 Wakeham
2 BBO
3 Averillo
4 Flanagan

Last edited:

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are you assuming he’s not?

Always a Bulldog
I'm not. Squad balance and long term development would be better if Cook played first grade 9, JMK at 14 - which allows BBO, Wakeham and Averillo to jockey for the 7.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not. Squad balance and long term development would be better if Cook played first grade 9, JMK at 14 - which allows BBO, Wakeham and Averillo to jockey for the 7.
You are assuming that JCook is going to be better than JMK, what if like Dietz he’s turns out not to be? “Squad balance and long term development” are irrelevant if we pick the inferior player/s. In season 2022 there are games to be played and won, let’s pick the players that contribute the most to achieving that objective.

Always a Bulldog