Gus on 100% Footy

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t get a chance to watch it. Anything important?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was more so a dud coaching decision to pick JO over any of our Cup forwards and many came to that conclusion. That was the take out most concluded when Ciro picked Oki to be a forward when already a failed winger. Topine was a suggestion along with other Cup forwards when Kennellers kept saying we had no alternative to picking Oki.
Clearly Okunbor wasn't dogging it at training and was rewarded with selection. I know it seems weird in the modern "everyone gets an award" world we live in

Last edited:

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All very admirable of course but picking good trainer tryhards who are mistake riddled and useless on the field hasnt worked either.

Anyway good luck to him in Hull.
So if there are two sides to a player - where they fit into one of the below camps, which would you pick?

Would you rather reward players who do not train so well, but are talented - over players who are not as talented, but give 110% at training?

Because if you are in the former, look no further than the Rabbitohs this season. And if memory serves, how did they go? Gus said it best. The difference between 9th and last is nothing. They weren't good enough for the finals, regardless of where they finished.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The foundations need to be rock solid - the fancy stuff will come later and is changeable- you only ever do the foundation once unless you have to completely demolish the place!!

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So if there are two sides to a player - where they fit into one of the below camps, which would you pick?

Would you rather reward players who do not train so well, but are talented - over players who are not as talented, but give 110% at training?

Because if you are in the former, look no further than the Rabbitohs this season. And if memory serves, how did they go? Gus said it best. The difference between 9th and last is nothing. They weren't good enough for the finals, regardless of where they finished.
Rewarding hard work is not just about results, but about sorting out who we are as a Culture so we can be successful in the future. We were never going to win the premiership this year, sure if we took some shortcuts and got some band aid fix players, we could have squeezed into the 8, but next year and the year after we are still just trying to squeeze into the 8, if we want to be in that top 4 constantly fighting for the title it's not just about having the right people, but the right attitude too.

Sure as a fan it sucks to see what happened this year, but I will not be whinging about our 2023 result when we are fighting for the title in the future. I am too old to wait another 10 years before they fix the culture and start domination once again just like the 80's and 90's. Anyone that has worked in large organisations for greater than 10 years knows the problem the wrong culture gives you. Companies spend millions on consultants and years on training courses and organisational change to fix their culture.

I look forward to a brighter future, because of the sacrifices made today.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Rewarding hard work is not just about results, but about sorting out who we are as a Culture so we can be successful in the future. We were never going to win the premiership this year, sure if we took some shortcuts and got some band aid fix players, we could have squeezed into the 8, but next year and the year after we are still just trying to squeeze into the 8, if we want to be in that top 4 constantly fighting for the title it's not just about having the right people, but the right attitude too.

Sure as a fan it sucks to see what happened this year, but I will not be whinging about our 2023 result when we are fighting for the title in the future. I am too old to wait another 10 years before they fix the culture and start domination once again just like the 80's and 90's. Anyone that has worked in large organisations for greater than 10 years knows the problem the wrong culture gives you. Companies spend millions on consultants and years on training courses and organisational change to fix their culture.

I look forward to a brighter future, because of the sacrifices made today.
Well said mate

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

My main concern is having any players who do not train so well. That is a major problem and probably needs to be fixed before deciding who to chose ie....the talented player who can help you win a game or the great trainer who can't.

Last edited:
Reactions: ATT

Malla

Reaction score
Clearly Okunbor wasn't dogging it at training and was awarded with selection. I know it seems weird in the modern "everyone gets an award" world we live in
This is literally the only reason why JO was continuously being picked. I am not sure why people are struggling to grasp this lol we have a team full of participants who think if they just show up (whether late or early) they will automatically be picked in first grade

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
This is literally the only reason why JO was continuously being picked. I am not sure why people are struggling to grasp this lol we have a team full of participants who think if they just show up (whether late or early) they will automatically be picked in first grade
This is probably the major concern with the team and the coaching during the 2023 season. Acceptable standards not being met either on the training field...or on game day.

Crazy situation where we have to pick the good trainer who is low effort mistake riddled on the field over the poor trainer who will probably contribute more towards a win or at least better defence and can hold a pass.

Anyway bludgers either way (training or game day) are moving on.

Last edited:

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So you think there is players available ? What brooks lol his been with the tigers his whole career and only managed high as 9th.
Who else is available?
I would say, that given the way they are managing the broad group of Papalii, KO, O’Neill, Wilson, Todd, Hopoi, Marshall playing together in Flegg, imo they are waiting for home grown talent to filter through. They are an exciting group. We may need to wait another year or 2. I’m sure KO is not likely to stay long with Dogs if faced with another year in Flegg in ‘24.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
I would say, that given the way they are managing the broad group of Papalii, KO, O’Neill, Wilson, Todd, Hopoi, Marshall playing together in Flegg, imo they are waiting for home grown talent to filter through. They are an exciting group. We may need to wait another year or 2. I’m sure KO is not likely to stay long with Dogs if faced with another year in Flegg in ‘24.
Maybe maybe not, he will still be top 30, so will be getting 200K plus, likely 300 or 400K. That might be enough o keep him happy, especially if he sees the plan.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My main concern is having any players who do not train so well. That is a major problem and probably needs to be fixed before deciding who to chose ie....the talented player who can help you win a game or the great trainer who can't.
Talent gets a player noticed, but it's the one's with dedication, perseverance,resilience and the willingness to go the extra mile, that make good,long term nrl players. The ones who can't handle the workload,can play park or bush footy

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has become much clearer that CC was dealt a hand within the playing group that was inherited and needed addressing in the first year, hopefully he has weeded out the rot. Establishing standards doesn't happen in a preseason, the basis of his selection criteria came under critical review by astute Kennelers who knew selections were weird but couldn't nail what was happening. I got more respect for CC now he hasn't deflected as accused by the Fox grub, he hasn't hidden like Souffs coach, he simply stuck to his guns they have recruited with out the big spend so far....

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's TK mate.

Most people lack the brain power to comprehend what most would consider simple.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gus talkin sense on 100% about inconsistency with officiating.
they're inconsistent for every team and history would say unconsciously the top/better teams get more calls (50/50's). I still think teams complaining can/need to be better, but obviously doesn't help.