Gus on 100% Footy

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I heard that also. I think that is just to take the heat, pressure and speculation coming from the media off Trent.
Might be for the players to hear publicly as well.

As in don't listen to the goss and innuendo about the coach being sacked. Worry about your own form and put in your best performance as thats whats expected of you.

Baz and I have this covered so lets move forward.

If Gus is there mentoring and guiding a good assistant coach into a good head coach then thats the best outcome for the club.

Barrett seems to love the club. He now knows the people and the history and has ex-players around the place. We avoid a whole new sheet show if he works out and dont lose more time with the rebuild.

Its up to him to take this support and acknowledge his poor coaching to this point and his poor use of his roster with inappropriate tactics, bench etc.

Lets hope, with Gus' guidance, the coach can pull his socks up and also that the players start finding their best skills and form.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have said before, I don't give a fuck who coaches the side as long as we are successful and winning, if Gus can make that happen with barrett then so be it. Trent has had a very steep learning curve since Gus came to the club and if he was smart enough to learn from it, it could be the making of him as an NRL coach IMO, if he wasn't then Gus won't hesitate to punt him regardless of what he say's to the media. If I where Trent I would spear Ferris and bring in a strength and conditioning coach that would get them fit, His coaching future depends on us being fit enough to play 80 mins against top tier sides and right at the moment we aren't.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have said before, I don't give a fuck who coaches the side as long as we are successful and winning, if Gus can make that happen with barrett then so be it. Trent has had a very steep learning curve since Gus came to the club and if he was smart enough to learn from it, it could be the making of him as an NRL coach IMO, if he wasn't then Gus won't hesitate to punt him regardless of what he say's to the media. If I where Trent I would spear Ferris and bring in a strength and conditioning coach that would get them fit, His coaching future depends on us being fit enough to play 80 mins against top tier sides and right at the moment we aren't.
No way is Ferris getting punted, Baz wants his best mate at the club :tearsofjoy:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact if it all is simple. If we are winning games is doesn’t matter how we do it. If we are losing everything is an issue... hence the ponga interview after his game. If they had won and was asked what he was going to say to the boys, had the same answer it wouldn’t be an issue.
West tigers players out not drinking in Newcastle, if they are winning it isn’t an issue

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus brilliantly taking all the pressure. Redefined the whole narrative saying it's just a bunch of nasty journo's attacking others to get to him. I reckon he's also saying to the players, "I'll stick my head in hard places for you so now you do the same for me". There's a bit of siege mentality in this which will only bring the players closer. I love it.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
On ya Gus for standing up to these dropkicks and the best thing this does is show them that their "articles and comments" have zero credibility.

With regards to Trent being the long term coach even after Gus has left, he see's something that we don't and Im not sure how to feel about that tbh. I still don't think Baz is the coach the club needs but I have no idea compared to Gus so only time will tell.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
On ya Gus for standing up to these dropkicks and the best thing this does is show them that their "articles and comments" have zero credibility.

With regards to Trent being the long term coach even after Gus has left, he see's something that we don't and Im not sure how to feel about that tbh. I still don't think Baz is the coach the club needs but I have no idea compared to Gus so only time will tell.
So true. Barrett looks a dud on results so far from last season and this but we're in Gus' hands. He does appear to be the best GM Football that we could hope to find to drag us up to our lofty expectations.

If Gus thinks Ferris isn't up to par, or any of the coaches, or players, are holding us back and not part of the rebuild, then they can probably expect a professional assessment and positive KPI improvement plan from the GM Footy and a timeline to again assess their development.

After that..well...

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I reckon Ferris might be the first to be punted and he will probably share a cab with Furner..
Now that Gus has played the "don't blame the coaches, show us how much you want it" card to the players, this would seem unlikely, at least in the short term. If it does happen it will be spoken of in some other way "left to pursue a new opportunity" etc.

If Gus is genuinely tapping into an effort problem with the players, than this probably exists on the training paddock as well as in game. If the players are going through the motions with their fitness training, that is a problem. Having said that, they looked a bit fitter against the chooks. Hopefully that continues.

It is a rare and valuable skill to be able to get others to work harder and at the same time make them feel grateful for it. Everyone at the club should be paying close attention to Gus to try and get some clues as to how to do it.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that Gus has played the "don't blame the coaches, show us how much you want it" card to the players, this would seem unlikely, at least in the short term. If it does happen it will be spoken of in some other way "left to pursue a new opportunity" etc.

If Gus is genuinely tapping into an effort problem with the players, than this probably exists on the training paddock as well as in game. If the players are going through the motions with their fitness training, that is a problem. Having said that, they looked a bit fitter against the chooks. Hopefully that continues.

It is a rare and valuable skill to be able to get others to work harder and at the same time make them feel grateful for it. Everyone at the club should be paying close attention to Gus to try and get some clues as to how to do it.
Yeah thats my point mate. Ferris and Furner have had all last year plus the off season to get them right and playing for each other, Gus has 2 sessions with them and suddenly there playing for each other with good attitude. If its about developing and protecting Barrett I am sure Gus will enlighten Barrett about his choice of assistants. I am tipping they will be the 1st changes made.