Official Gus Fronts Press Conference

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 75608

Incorrect, Barrett received the keys to the war chest … 95% of that cap had to be spent, go through the players Barrett bought and then check out which of those were any good ..

Gould still weeding them out and trying to balance the cap ..
What is this shit. Tag me next time coward

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
It will be a big lift to the team if fans at the game give them a big cheer of support when they take the field - just to show that we still care for them and the club.

A bit of "no hard feelings" might be good for their confidence - especially Perham.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol at the assholes shit canning Gus for fronting a press conference and taking the heat after such a bad loss. If he sat sat back and did nothing the same flogs would be into him for that. But the Gus haters can EAD as far as I am concerned he’s the first real leader we’ve had at the club for over a decade and he’s here long term like it or lump it.

fooch

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How do 1st and 2nd grade sides both get flogged by a middle of the road team especially considering they come off a bye what did they do in preparation .Cc s a myth

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
It will be a big lift to the team if fans at the game give them a big cheer of support when they take the field - just to show that we still care for them and the club.

A bit of "no hard feelings" might be good for their confidence - especially Perham.
Perham isn't in the squad, but I agree

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If that’s your mindset, that’s all your going to hear … if you remove your it’s all about Gould goggles and instead think about the work it takes to rebuild a bottom club into a premiership contender and run through the intricate pieces that need to come together to build a production line of talent of the back of that you get exactly what he’s talking about ..
The word re-build can take on many different meanings.

Sometimes it’s code for “we don’t yet know what we are doing, so we want more of you’re time and your money”

I suspect this is what it’s looking like at the dogs at the moment.

I hope I’m proven wrong.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Can someone explain to Gus that 2008 to 2009 saw us go from wooden spoon to second. I’m not sure why everything he seeks to do must take 5 to 6 years…

I think the best way to explain this is that we went from a super experienced coach (Des) to 3 novice coaches in a row. Each one as clueless as the other.

I still maintain with a better coach we are doing better. With a better coach, an experienced coach, we are more likely to have a resilient culture. A culture that promotes Bulldog values - the culture we used to have - that we clearly do not have now.
100% there is no way signing a gun 9 and and gun 7 and a gun 8 and a gun 13 and a gun 3 wouldn't instantly propell us forward, but that just isn't available to us at the moment as it was in 2009

Brian Boru

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No we haven't.
That's 2 mistakes the club has made right there....

1) Thinking your FB should be a minimum wage player in the modern game

2) Thinking Perham is an NRL FB

Two black marks on the coaches.
One black mark on the player
Disgraceful press conference. Zero accountability.

There is absolutely no way we should’ve gone backwards over the past 2 years and all Gus has served up is to blame people from nearly a decade ago.

I can’t believe all of the positive reaction this has garnered from this forum. Embarrassing loser mentality everywhere.
Negative Nellie back on air.
Gus answered questions, but obviously not to your opinionated liking.
Stick to the Dolphins.
How was their survey?
Very valid points.

From that you can virtually guarantee he hasn't signed anyone of significant note for 2024 (as yet? :( ) bc he would have thrown out a bit of good news.
He is not that stupid.
Leave the rumours to the kennel.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Can someone explain to Gus that 2008 to 2009 saw us go from wooden spoon to second. I’m not sure why everything he seeks to do must take 5 to 6 years…

I think the best way to explain this is that we went from a super experienced coach (Des) to 3 novice coaches in a row. Each one as clueless as the other.

I still maintain with a better coach we are doing better. With a better coach, an experienced coach, we are more likely to have a resilient culture. A culture that promotes Bulldog values - the culture we used to have - that we clearly do not have now.
Why? 2008 we had the most ridiculous injury run - up to 10 1st graders out at one point. That was on the backend of the losing SBW saga mid season. 2009 we bought Kimmorley, Stagg, Hannant, the other Morris, Ennis and Beastwood mid season. So basically a test back, half and test quality forwards.

So where or how exactly are we buying six proven test players for next year? Or the year after?

Thats why 5 - 6 years. Bad take.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The word re-build can take on many different meanings.

Sometimes it’s code for “we don’t yet know what we are doing, so we want more of you’re time and your money”

I suspect this is what it’s looking like at the dogs at the moment.

I hope I’m proven wrong.
It’s not like the man being paid to do this massive job is a rookie … he’s succeeded in this role twice before, so my moneys on him knowing what he’s doing and that he’ll get the job done .. there just unfortunately isn’t a magic want to wave and fix what’s broken in just a year or 2 ..

Try to remember a year and a half into his contract at the Panthers they had their share of negative Nancy’s and naysayers as well, they were still whinging into the 5 year plan because it took longer than originally thought, same negative Nancy’s now say Gould had nothing to do with their success.

If Gould takes us to a premiership they’ll find a new narrative to say it wasn’t him, haters gonna hate .. trust the system, hate along with the negative Nancy’s, or go back another club, only real 3 choices that you have.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is this shit. Tag me next time coward
I feel sorry for poor old Fizbo, he’s just always wrong .. drops a comment, and the 10 comments that follow proving him wrong, he just doesn’t let seep in ..

So it’s obvious he’s just “Flanagun style trolling”

I don’t tag blow hole fans of other clubs .. so EAD, and if you already have … go for seconds ..

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
100% there is no way signing a gun 9 and and gun 7 and a gun 8 and a gun 13 and a gun 3 wouldn't instantly propell us forward, but that just isn't available to us at the moment as it was in 2009
The roster isn’t that bad.

I would think some improvement should be possible.

Safe to say we all thought we would be travelling better than we are.

Many people are missing this point or happy to gloss over it.

When the campaign kicked off, I think if people were asked “are you ok with us doing worse than than last year or the year before?”, they would say get out of here.

That’s the reality unfortunately.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It’s not like the man being paid to do this massive job is a rookie … he’s succeeded in this role twice before, so my moneys on him knowing what he’s doing and that he’ll get the job done .. there just unfortunately isn’t a magic want to wave and fix what’s broken in just a year or 2 ..

Try to remember a year and a half into his contract at the Panthers they had their share of negative Nancy’s and naysayers as well, they were still whinging into the 5 year plan because it took longer than originally thought, same negative Nancy’s now say Gould had nothing to do with their success.

If Gould takes us to a premiership they’ll find a new narrative to say it wasn’t him, haters gonna hate .. trust the system, hate along with the negative Nancy’s, or go back another club, only real 3 choices that you have.
Took nigh on 10 years or more with the best junior base in the league.

Go back and have a look, there was plenty of waste and drama in that 10 or so years. My mail is that many overstate Gus’ influence on the current set up. But don’t listen to me, who am I to know. Just keep reading the papers, cross your fingers and hope Gus is your messiah.

Oh, and remember, probably the biggest factor in all of this, the Bulldogs don’t have, and will never have, a junior base to rival Penrith.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Why? 2008 we had the most ridiculous injury run - up to 10 1st graders out at one point. That was on the backend of the losing SBW saga mid season. 2009 we bought Kimmorley, Stagg, Hannant, the other Morris, Ennis and Beastwood mid season. So basically a test back, half and test quality forwards.

So where or how exactly are we buying six proven test players for next year? Or the year after?

Don't forget Michael Hodgsonsin and Lord Bryson. Got great value out of those guys. Jonathan Wright and Curtus Rona were pretty handy too. Would like some more of these type signings instead of just throwing more rookies in the deep end.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Image1688465209.168512.jpg

Me waiting for @djdeep4172 to post the latest FaceBook telecrap article that’s now saying Gould blamed our situation on Des Hasler’s salary cap woes in his press conference today ..

Never happened but that’s what they’re reporting and you know Dj will post it

Last edited:

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Go back through the list of who we have bought (and let go) in the last couple of years.

Wooden spoon to 2nd is a fair effort irrespective of roster - 08-09

Just a reminder, we are currently worse than last year. I’d be happy with 9th right now.

Why sugar coat it? This is garbage.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Oh, and remember, probably the biggest factor in all of this, the Bulldogs don’t have, and will never have, a junior base to rival Penrith.
But that’s what Gus is building. Relationships with other areas of nsw and qld. The original bulldogs nickname was the country bumpkins cause we just got bush players and brought them to the big smoke.

it’s not saying we will hit them all but enough that you can then go to market and be able to entice players as the missing piece. But at the moment all we can provide is an opportunity to play first grade.

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But that’s what Gus is building. Relationships with other areas of nsw and qld. The original bulldogs nickname was the country bumpkins cause we just got bush players and brought them to the big smoke.

it’s not saying we will hit them all but enough that you can then go to market and be able to entice players as the missing piece. But at the moment all we can provide is an opportunity to play first grade.
True, you make a good point. Let’s hope so. I really hope it works out.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Go back through the list of who we have bought (and let go) in the last couple of years.

Wooden spoon to 2nd is a fair effort irrespective of roster - 08-09

Just a reminder, we are currently worse than last year. I’d be happy with 9th right now.

Why sugar coat it? This is garbage.
Sugar coat my response? Yeah - I did because you seemed like a rook and I thought I'd be nice to your take.

But since you don't want me to - your take is ass. Like homeless dude ass. Reasons as above.