Greg Bird sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

charbel

D0M:N8R
Reaction score
Greg Bird finished at Cronulla Sharks NRL

GREG Bird has played his last game at Cronulla. The outpouring of public anger after the Test five-eighth was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm on his girlfriend has left the Sharks with no choice but to sack him.
Sponsors have contacted the club seeking answers about the incident, which has resulted in Bird being stood down indefinitely.

The Sharks' decision to sack Bird will put pressure on the NRL to deregister him and prevent him going to rival clubs, effectively ending his NRL career.

This could become irrelevant as Bird faces a possible jail term if convicted.

Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia was cautious last night given the pending legal action but confirmed there were community concerns.

"It is a very difficult decision based on Cronulla being such a close-knit community," he said. "(Terminating his contract) is certainly something that will be strongly considered."

Chairman Barry Pierce was also cautious about revealing the Sharks' intentions, but addressed the leagues club board on where the club stood.

"He is suspended indefinitely and, on legal advice, we can't do another thing," Pierce said. "I think it is the only thing we could do."

Pierce said Bird's future at the club would be decided after a board meeting and in consultation with Zappia and the coaching staff after the case had been legally resolved.

"That will be discussed when the time arrives," Pierce said.

"We will look at it at the time and as a board, and take advice. Sorry, I can't say much more about it but that is where we are at."

It is clear Bird's position at the club is untenable.

The club was inundated with emails from fans, the reaction overwhelmingly in favour of sacking him.

The wider reaction from the rugby league community has been similar, a fact the Sharks are aware of.

Significantly, club sponsors are also concerned at the damaging publicity.

"They are pretty keen to see some action is taken," Zappia said.

"The club has a responsibilty to sponsors, supporters, management staff and the players.

"It is important that the values of society are upheld at every opportunity."

The Sharks have shifted skipper Paul Gallen to lock to replace Bird for Friday night's match against Wests Tigers, with Fraser Anderson moving to the forwards and Brett Kearney brought back to play fullback.

charbel

D0M:N8R
Reaction score
didnt like him at all

but feel sorry for the bloke, with the tough time he is going through.

luke

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
didnt like him at all

how can you feel sorry for someone that glasses a women in the face?

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i can't see where it says he has been officially sacked.

he is a disgrace and should piss off to france with this drinking pal youngquest.

moefromoz

Metal Guru
Reaction score
didnt like him at all

Yeah, the poor fella...it wasn't his fault he assaulted her with a glass!

WAKE UP....What about the tough time she is going through?

I hope they throw the book at him...he deserves it, imo.

dog on guard

mighty doggies
Reaction score
bad attitude as a person but is a top player & will end up
in the north of england

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Bird hasn't been sacked yet, the Sharks board have suspended him indefinitely til two days after the GF.

wyongguy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read on sky news that he broke the avo by his manager contacting his girlfriend

The BEAR

ROAR talent
Reaction score
Only a matter of time before some nuffnuff on The Bulldogs Discussion Forum suggests the Bulldogs sign him up...

:rolleyes:

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
sign bird:p

I hope the cnut gets deregistered, sick of people glorifying his performances

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i can't see where it says he has been officially sacked.
he is a disgrace and should piss off to france with this drinking pal youngquest.
Same. No where does it say he has been sacked, just stood down indefinately. Stuart also said he would give him another chance if found not guilty.

What a load of crap this article is. Paul **** again i see.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Same. No where does it say he has been sacked, just stood down indefinately. Stuart also said he would give him another chance if found not guilty.

What a load of crap this article is. Paul **** again i see.
Yeah, Zappia said they would "strongly consider" it, but he hasn't been sacked yet. More brilliant misleading and misrepresenting "journalism" I see.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
didnt like him at all

Feel sorry for him?

Did he not bring this upon himself?

How can you feel the slightest bit sorry for someone who has done what he has and commited such a low and malicious act?

He deserves jail time FFS.

I won't feel sorry for him.

Have fun getting your butthole stitched back together after copping an absolute pouding by animals like Bubba, Big Mick Dog and White Power Steve in Long Bay Greg!

He deserves that at least.

Ted67

Old Dog
Reaction score
He can't be sacked until after he has been proven guilty in the court of law.
It would be a breach of contract to do so before hand and if he was proven innocent during the court case then the club would be in a bit of shyt as would the NRL if they happened to deregister him.

Once proven guilty though, more than likely it's time behind bars and the end of his career.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
He can't be sacked until after he has been proven guilty in the court of law.
It would be a breach of contract to do so before hand and if he was proven innocent during the court case then the club would be in a bit of shyt as would the NRL if they happened to deregister him.

Once proven guilty though, more than likely it's time behind bars and the end of his career.
Yep. In no way do I condone what he has done however he needs to be found guilty first before they can rightfully sack him.

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it just me or is this incident not getting a lot of publicity. I can think of some incidents that were nowhere near as bad as this that were the opening story on the news for days. I wanted to see what was happening with Bird on the news the other day and they spoke about it for 2 seconds in the sports section.

Status
Not open for further replies.