Grant

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Last time he nearly sign but Melbourne match it and gave top 30 and 2 or 3 first grade
Grant is still young and I reckon the attraction to be coached under Bellamy and learn off Smith would have made his decision to extend a no brainer. I rather play under a storm system than go to the dogs and play second fiddle to JMK and be coached by Pay.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you’re saying Melbourne dropped half a Mil on a Qld Cup player and then loaned him out to the Tigers for a year?
Yep true no bullshit that highly the think of him trust me wasn't the only club showing him the money

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
Yep true no bullshit that highly the think of him trust me wasn't the only club showing him the money
I understand that but the Tigers had the coin in their stretched cap to accomodate another 500k on a player to fill a hole for 1 season? Or were Melbourne copping some of the freight? The numbers just seem way too high for that scenario. Not saying you’re wrong, my brain just can’t compute it.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So by the looks of it -

Cameron Smith Titans 2021

Harry Grant & Brandon Smith Storm 2021

Brandon Smith Dogs 2022

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Easily a franchise player. All we can do is offer him time and money and see what he says. Something like 12 mil over 10 years and see what he does?? Throw in 10% clause to keep up every time the salary cap increases. Make him Captain in a couple of years. Throw the dice.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So by the looks of it -

Cameron Smith Titans 2021

Harry Grant & Brandon Smith Storm 2021

Brandon Smith Dogs 2022
Would rather Blayke Brailey 2022 personally but that's just me

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm yet to be too impressed with Blayke Brailey tbh. Besides being young I don't see much else going for him. I guess his strengths are ball distribution from dummy half but there's a lot more to the role that he needs to develop. I just want someone who's going to make an impact individually and not just "be there".

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do NOT understand why we don't/didn't throw 800k? 1M at Harry grant?

He's a world class 9. Please can someone explain to me why the club didn't go after him harder? I know back before he played a first grade game we offered him a 3yr deal worth 1M.

We haven't had a hooker since Ennis, who we gave away for Liecha. I'll stop there before I break my keyboard or my LED monitor.

Harry Grant is the next long term hooker for QLD, the best hooker the NRL has seen since Smith.

Some things i'll never understand....
When exactly would you have wanted us to offer him that big money deal? We’re not the Roosters and can’t get away with talking to players under contract.
If you search Grant’s name you’ll many of us wanted the club to go for him when he was playing QLD Cup. My only answer to you is the club must have been certain we had Koroisau. By all reports he only slipped through our fingers at the last minute.
It might be all for the best anyway. I’d rather the new regime and be looking for a hooker than still have Pay and we got Grant.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I'm yet to be too impressed with Blayke Brailey tbh. Besides being young I don't see much else going for him. I guess his strengths are ball distribution from dummy half but there's a lot more to the role that he needs to develop. I just want someone who's going to make an impact individually and not just "be there".
He's warming to the task slowly... Despite being in an underwhelming Sharks side he was improving every game and really his only strong runner he could play to was Uele

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand that but the Tigers had the coin in their stretched cap to accomodate another 500k on a player to fill a hole for 1 season? Or were Melbourne copping some of the freight? The numbers just seem way too high for that scenario. Not saying you’re wrong, my brain just can’t compute it.
They wouldn't need 500k because they sent the centre Paul Momirovski Melbourne so only the difference plus it was only done in march half through NRL pay cycle.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh, why not? They get to keep him and Tigers cover his wage for the year giving them cap space. Makes sense.
The main reason for the loan was that Grant's contract had a minimum number of NRL appearances and Melbourne knew that they couldn't meet it with CSmith playing on and after trying the halfback stupidity. Which would have meant Grant could escape, plus they needed a backup centre. Hence the swap made sense for Melbourne, they held on to Grant long term, got the back up centre and it cost them next to nothing in net terms.

There is also word that BSmith's contract is similar with a minimum number of NRL appearances, which Melbourne satisfied by playing him elsewhere (than hooker). He's bit salty on that apparently.

Go Dogs