Good old $BW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
when is the next world cup by the way?

just curious. never really kept up with this sport at all. couldn't even tell you who won what at any time in the last 30 years lol
2011 mate.

I like rugby, but even if I didn't you kind of have no choice but to know those sort of things when you live in New Zealand haha, such is the rugby saturation of the media. For example SBW making the All Blacks tour squad was on the front page of the biggest paper in the country and also one of the first news stories the following night.

And when we get knocked out of the WC the whole country goes crazy. NZ fans can be terrible tbh.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
bit like the afl over here in perth, drives me ****ing nuts lol

at least you enjoy that sport, i hate afl with a passion

:p

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well he has been a model of consistency for 3 years now, I haven't seen him have a poor game since he was given the 12 jumper.

Also, big hits simply aren't something you need in union so that isn't a factor which puts SBW in a better position. Nonu is a better defender than SBW, he has the positioning, the timing and the technique on Sonny. Sonny's tackling is still rough and he doesn't have an international player's technique.

Nonu beats him in pretty much every facet required of an international 12, not just experience. He is more organised, composed, a better line runner, a better passer, better at running in his outside men, better at kicking, more experienced obviously. Nonu is well ahead of SBW right now.

I'm not taking the safe option, I know that Nonu is a better player and I genuinely believe he will be the All Black second five in the lead up to the World Cup.
You may well be right about him being the first pick from now till the WC... but there's no way that Nonu is ahead of Sonny in those categories, at least not decisively ahead of him. Sonny has shown both in France and in ITM (as well as showing Mortlock up in that first run for the Babas) that he can run a line, and run it freakin well too. There is no way, none, that Nonu is a better passer and organisation player than Sonny. Sonny can play before the line and at the line. His service to Fruen has been impeccable. And playing the ball at the line there is simply no comparison. playing before the line and at the line. Does nonu, or anyone else, provide these options?

What about speed and strength? Nonu is a strong guy, but again SBW is faster and stronger. Defensive technique? Why have raras consistently sought rugby league defensive coaches? Sonny does have the edge here too. Playing at second 5/8 means he is closer to the ruck and that suits him. He hasn't shown any systemic defensive deficiencies. It's a straw man argument. What about footwork? SBW is better - easily. He's a better player than Nonu, there's just no getting away from that fact. His all round natural skill level eclipses that nonu by an order of magnitude. And that's the bottom line. Could you envisage Nonu having the same impact in league? That bloke would be a sitting duck. It's one thing to run it hard into those pus$y arm tackles. It's another thing to run it hard all day against guys who have grown up knowing how to tackle. Sonny's the better athlete, and nothing could be more obvious than that.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Come on simmo, we had this same debate about two pages back. I'll just let the selectors do the talking for me for want of not repeating myself. :grinning:

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Come on simmo, we had this same debate about two pages back. I'll just let the selectors do the talking for me for want of not repeating myself. :grinning:
lets wait and see.. you'll prolly be right. But my opinion is that it's only because Sonny has limited time to impress. had he played the past Super Rugby season, he'd already have the #12. i think its fair to say that he has surpassed the expectations of his knockers and also his fans. I really didn't expect him to be doing so well... and that must be exciting for kiwi fans.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I rate Sonny and I hope he does well, I just think it is a bit of a flavour of the month thing right now and realistically he is not ready for the international game as a regular just yet. This tour will help though, definitely.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For instance, Greg Martin must be eating his words right now. He said Sonny couldn't pass - wrong. Sonny can and he's doing a freakin awesome job of it too. Marto said he wouldn't be an All Black. Wrong again. The sheer potential of SBW far surpasses anyone in the ABs except for Carter perhaps. He's already beginning to fulfil his potential. his knockers stand massively rebuked. He is the real deal. Nonu knows it too. By all accounts he has impressed NZRU and Canterbury massively with his training ethic and his sheer strength, his natural skill level etc. He's not to be underestimated - as many hard nut rugby types like Marto tend to do.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For instance, Greg Martin must be eating his words right now. He said Sonny couldn't pass - wrong. Sonny can and he's doing a freakin awesome job of it too. Marto said he wouldn't be an All Black. Wrong again. The sheer potential of SBW far surpasses anyone in the ABs except for Carter perhaps. He's already beginning to fulfil his potential. his knockers stand massively rebuked. He is the real deal. Nonu knows it too. By all accounts he has impressed NZRU and Canterbury massively with his training ethic and his sheer strength, his natural skill level etc. He's not to be underestimated - as many hard nut rugby types like Marto tend to do.
Who cares what a bunch of jumped up pundits have to say?

Yeah... would still hit it.
Nice..

JackTheLad

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How ridiculous is this ITM comp, just when it is getting into the semi finals stage, the rep players disappear for a tour.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
F*ck, just watching Sonny being interviewed about being in the All Blacks tour squad and what not. He said bro to the interviewer about 8 times and 'humble' another 5-6 times. He is deadset straight out of Mount Albert lol

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nonu started a bit sh*t tonight but was great after that, so many half breaks and scored a good try. My facebook is going wild with whiny c*nts blaming Stephen Donald for the loss. F*cking hate New Zealand after the All Blacks lose.

P

Paint.

Just tunes in for the last 10 mins... WOW is all I can say.

There was no other possible ending, tho. Aus had the momentum, they were playing pressure, they took their time, and after 5 minutes of consistent runs at the ABS line, there was no doubt about it, there defence had to break sometime or another.

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thing is if Donald's kick right at the end went out, it wouldn't have been all over anyway, it would have still been a lineout and who knows what would have happened from there.

Quade Cooper was horrible tonight as well, kicking was sh*t, didn't create much of note and is a major defensive liability.

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Geez couldn't watch the last 3 mins, as soon as I saw O'Connor with the ball I knew he was over :( Guess we needed a loss to give us a bit of a kick up the arse before RWC2011. Hate this losing feeling though

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Geez couldn't watch the last 3 mins, as soon as I saw O'Connor with the ball I knew he was over :( Guess we needed a loss to give us a bit of a kick up the arse before RWC2011. Hate this losing feeling though
The worst thing is having to deal with the idiot AB's fans afterwards who always want to blame it on one person. Donald played poorly in his minimal minutes, but **** me it wasn't entirely his fault the game was lost. The whole team needs this loss.

fobsicle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Should've got touch on that last one though :( Never been a big fan of his tbh, would've preferred Slade on tour, EOYT experience would be good for him

Status
Not open for further replies.