Opinion Going backwards (Poll)

Are we going backwards under the great Phil Gus Gould?

• Yes

Votes: 67 34.5%
  • No we are on the right track

Votes: 127 65.5%

• Total voters

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
Irrelevant. He was here during the slide. A sign if we have bounced is improving on the previous season
dean pay won 10 games in a season, an improvement on his previous season of 8, so that means we were on the improve and 2019 we should make the finals then we can be premiership contenders by the early-mid 20's

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
PS when I saw the thread title I thought it was about our "forwards"

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t think so, our spine is set for 2024. If Ciraldo wakes up to himself he can select a top backline.

1. Crichton
2. Skelton
3. Kiraz
4. Xerri
5. Addo-Carr

We just need forwards who are tough as nails and can tackle.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Besides, how do you go backwards from being the spooners....

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There will be no fans left by the time they get it right.. I’m not saying it’s right but this generation of fans are not gonna stick around
especially the younger ones
I hear this all the time but to me it’s bullshit. The last 6 years we’ve had the worst period in bulldog history since the early 70’s and we continue to sell out a shithole at BSG and we’re coming 15th. Souths kept getting flogged and finished with the wooden spoon many times for 15 years until Crowe took over. They are still one of the most supported teams in the NRL.

If and when we become a force to be reckoned with you will see all the blue and white supporters come out of the wood works.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
dean pay won 10 games in a season, an improvement on his previous season of 8, so that means we were on the improve and 2019 we should make the finals then we can be premiership contenders by the early-mid 20's
Good point you make… I was critical of pay but i can admit he did better lol..

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every year we hear the excuses we don’t have the cattle.. yet we spend so much apparently… fuck off with these stupid excuses..our club is still going backwards and still nobody has got it right..

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
On field we are going backwards. Off field we are going forwards …. 24 still looking grim. Hoping the club gets recruitment right heading into 25.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple people only see results as the only metric. Takes a little more intelligence to be able to see improvements when results are poor.

If you look across what has changed since Gus has come on board, there are improvements. For most people the problem is that the improvements are not coming fast enough or haven't translated to results. But to say we have gone backwards and/or no improvement well that pretty much says it all.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simple people only see results as the only metric. Takes a little more intelligence to be able to see improvements when results are poor.

If you look across what has changed since Gus has come on board, there are improvements. For most people the problem is that the improvements are not coming fast enough or haven't translated to results. But to say we have gone backwards and/or no improvement well that pretty much says it all.
Pls don’t try and tell me that results weren’t part of the improvements we are looking to see when Gus came on board

Gus came here with plenty of cash to spend in the market and lure talent to the club which would improve our first grade team with immediate effect as we were at rock bottom. We have inexplicably gone backwards from there

We have gone backwards. The Gus thing has so far been a failure. This fan base is a bunch of Gus cucks and are in complete denial

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think this must be Buzz’ burner account :p

Need to trust the process. Jury is still out on Cirro but let’s be honest with this squad Bellamy wouldn’t have us in the 8. We are positioned where our ability is. Bottom of the table.

With a few better middles we’d be 10-12. But we aren’t making the 8 with flange, perham, Edwards, alamoti, okunbor etc. might be harsh but they are nothing players for one reason or another.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
Allzclown completly ignores the injuries we have had this year. Most likely on perith has the depth to deal with what we have had to this year. And that depth is from having an excellent juniors programme, which was instituted by guess who, Gould.

Gould was upfront rebuilding the club was a 5 years at least minimum job, he has said it many times. we have existing contracts that have to expire to shift those players on, some now contracts just don't work out either (RFM). But you can't just throw money at the market paying off contract left right and centre to off load these players or buying players, there are these mechanics in place called the sallary cap.

If you can't handle the rebuild I suggest you go support another team.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"it’s confusing as fuck to have multiple people with the same avatar."
It's also confusing as fŭck to have multiple accounts with a single person.
You're right though......either way they are clowns.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pls don’t try and tell me that results weren’t part of the improvements we are looking to see when Gus came on board

Gus came here with plenty of cash to spend in the market and lure talent to the club which would improve our first grade team with immediate effect as we were at rock bottom. We have inexplicably gone backwards from there

We have gone backwards. The Gus thing has so far been a failure. This fan base is a bunch of Gus cucks and are in complete denial
Where did I say that we didn't want to see improvements in results you simpleton. Just admit you don't care about any improvements unless it translates to immediate results on the field because you have the memory of a bee.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In the past 12-18 months under Gould, we have:
  • Moved on Barrett, clearly the wrong man for the job.
  • Brought in Ciraldo, who, although the Ws and defence aren't there, he at least has principles he follows and clear coaching directive with the squad that is filtering down to strong reserve grade and youth comp performances. Just need it to start to translate into the top grade, but it will come.
  • Shipped off Cotric, Naden, Allan, Dufty, Wakeham, JMK, Hetherington, Jackson (Retired), to name a few.
  • Signed Reed, Crichton, Kikau, Sexton, Preston, Skelton, Wilson, KO, Pele, EQW.
  • Debuted 9 (?) players so far this season, the most of any club. We have the youngest average age of the 17 we run out with week in, week out.
  • Laundy and Gus are working together to try and land even more big-name signings in clear positions of need (Middles in Haas and Tino).
We were an obstruction call away from beating the Warriors, and poor game management down the stretch from beating the Roosters to be within touch of the top 8, despite long-term injuries to key players in JAC, Thompson, Kikau, Kiraz, Max King playing hurt, RFM suffering Pneumonia, a handbrake at 7 (Flanagan) and a rookie/ out of position fullback for 2/3rds of the season. Burton has moved from 6 to 7, back to 6. All of the rookies have both been exposed, but also shown flashes that they are on the right path. We gave Grub the send-off he deserved being able to retire a Bulldog, despite the results on the field.

Had Kikau and Thompson not been MIA all season, with Sexton brought in from the start of the season, I have no doubts we would have been challenging for a top 8 spot to end the season.

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did I say that we didn't want to see improvements in results you simpleton. Just admit you don't care about any improvements unless it translates to immediate results on the field because you have the memory of a bee.
No one expected an immediate top 4/8 finish

Slow and steady improvements in results should definitely have happened, instead we will be battling it out for the spoon in 2023

Are you trying to tell me that even slight improvements weren’t expected? I checked the pre season prediction/expectation thread and just about everyone had us 7th-10th. Many went even higher. It’s fascinating how this is all forgotten just cos Gould has wheeled out a litany of excuses for peanuts here to gobble hp

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Dosent mean all his decisions were right… biggest one being the question mark over cc coaching
CC hasn't been perfect. His selections are a little questionable but have to agree that the start of the year with the injuries would impact any coaches record. The players thrown in early are tired and hence form slump. Players used early on probably would have gotten a taste of first grade at some point but not regular starters. Tought year to be critical I think.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No one expected an immediate top 4/8 finish

Slow and steady improvements in results should definitely have happened, instead we will be battling it out for the spoon in 2023

Are you trying to tell me that even slight improvements weren’t expected? I checked the pre season prediction/expectation thread and just about everyone had us 7th-10th. Many went even higher. It’s fascinating how this is all forgotten just cos Gould has wheeled out a litany of excuses for peanuts here to gobble hp
Still not addressing the fact that improvements have happened, happily ignoring facts just to make you feel better. I am not saying that results have improved. Secondly the fact that fans have a specific expectation, does not mean that he has failed if the team didn't meet that expectation. Gould has been clear with his expectations, just because fans want to hope he is underselling it, does not make it so.