Give Flanagan a chance?

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am sick of hearing the following:

Excuse 1: Give Flanagan a chance. He is only a kid. He will grow and develop.

Truth: Flanagan is older than Nathan Cleary. If he had what it takes to be a quality halfback, we would have seen it by now.

Excuse 2: He is in a shit squad. Put some decent players around him and he will be a completely different player.

Truth: He does not have the basic skills necessary to be a halfback. If you look at his actual skills, his kicks are always one dimensional, end over end. He does not know how to put spin or spiral on his kicks. His kicks are always easily caught by the opposition. He does not know how to get a repeat set or a 40/20. He lacks creativity and vision in attack. His passing game is non existent. You can put him in an origin team and he will still be the same as he is now.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don't think he deserves one personally. The only reason why he'll be given a chance is because of his pay packet and no one wanting him so we can't move him on. He's our 5th best half and I'd have more faith in the youngsters below him. No offence, I just think it's the truth. Our reserve grade team is stacked next year imo so we'll see how he goes there. No excuses...

Malla

Reaction score
Yeah the biggest arguement for Flanno has been that he is on a shit squad lol Avo was on the same squad, he isn’t even a half imo and showed way more promise than flanno

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he works really hard on his game in the off season. I have my concerns though that he can only work with a structured attack. He seems to struggle with "ad lib" or "eyes up" footy, and lacks the creativity or confidence to provide us with good 5th tackle options. Fingers crossed he can resurrect his career

ricko_29

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see more than half of our fans on Facebook saying this, whether it's on the official dogs page or fan groups, and to me it's proof that more than half our fans either don't watch the bloke, or have no idea wtf they're talking about.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I believe Flanno is a key part of our squad. Trent has made it crystal clear that he doesn't perform as a coach unless he has a strong macchiato with 1 sugar at exactly 7:45am each day. Without Flanno, where does Trent get his coffee from? Flanno started with the club only having the cappuccino under his belt, he's expanded his skills and can now even do an affogato on command. I believe in the off season he's working on the B&E.

OK - we paid slightly overs for a quality barista but the market was hot. I believe his value will shine through in the end.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah the biggest arguement for Flanno has been that he is on a shit squad lol Avo was on the same squad, he isn’t even a half imo and showed way more promise than flanno
Agreed!
Flanno was pretty shit the prior year in a stacked rorters team…he is unfortunately a bust & a waste of $$ & squad spot.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still don't think our number 7 puzzle is complete for 2022.

It looks like Baz will persist in trying to develop Averillo with BBO hot on his heels applying the pressure.

But I still have this inkling that at some stage next year will will draft in an older head to steer these boys around.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Averillo and wakeham have played better

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope he works really hard on his game in the off season. I have my concerns though that he can only work with a structured attack. He seems to struggle with "ad lib" or "eyes up" footy, and lacks the creativity or confidence to provide us with good 5th tackle options. Fingers crossed he can resurrect his career
He will need to ‘re invent’ his game. At the roosters with Keary being the main ball player Kyles role was to pass and kick to areas and follow the structure. With the rule changes ‘eyes up’ footy and a half who can bend the line and put defenders in two minds play well.
Defences knew Flanagan doesn’t run the ball so easily adjusted plus the fact he didn’t have a fend or footwork made it easy for defences
He will need to work very hard in reserve grade to be a first grade halfback again
Sadly it’s what kids are taught these days
Stay on one side of the field and do not deviate from the game plan and ensure the team gets to position ‘x’ at end of the set

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I had high hopes for him at the start of the season. He had more than enough games last season to show what he had.

Unfortunately he has shown at this stage he just doesn't have the basic skills of a NRL standard half

We are no longer that weak club that has to persist with these underachieving plodders

If we are stuck with him for next year, the best for him would be a solid year in reserves

If we don't somehow manage to get another half, I definitely see Avo, Wakeham and BBO in front of him

Hopefully Gus can move him on before his contract is up as he provides zero value in our salary cap

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he were given another chance, nothing would make me happier than seeing the kid do well. Unfortunately I'm not sure ha has "it". If the other "Coach Trent" couldn't do anything with him then I'm not sure our "Trent" can either. It's extremely rare for the Rorters to let a good one go.